Is UK becoming too expensive?

srg73

I sit here taking a break from working hard this morning listening to the left wing BBC hearing.......

3rd power company boosting their prices to circa £1,500.00 per year on average!

House prices in London have jumped in some boroughs by 10% in 1 month!

Supermarkets stopping many promotions due to waste!

New power station being built by French and Chinese with unit cost for generation guaranteed at nearly 3x current rate!

Where is UK going wrong? I guess UK is now in improving financial health and well ahead of most countries which hit the buffers meaning UK is now attracting Chinese and global money and investment therefore pricing out internal investment and inflating the housing market. My personal opinion is that UK will catch up very quickly now with the high cost of living experienced generally in Australia following investment by foreign investors making the move to Aus much more attractive as the quality of life due to financial limitations is going to drop in UK. Therefore better off poorer in Australia within a great country of optimistic people rather than poorer in UK with influence of Europe and left wing constantly holding development back.

S

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sit here taking a break from working hard this morning listening to the left wing BBC hearing.......

New power station being built by French and Chinese with unit cost for generation guaranteed at nearly 3x current rate!

Where is UK going wrong? I guess UK is now in improving financial health and well ahead of most countries which hit the buffers meaning UK is now attracting Chinese and global money and investment therefore pricing out internal investment and inflating the housing market. My personal opinion is that UK will catch up very quickly now with the high cost of living experienced generally in Australia following investment by foreign investors making the move to Aus much more attractive as the quality of life due to financial limitations is going to drop in UK. Therefore better off poorer in Australia within a great country of optimistic people rather than poorer in UK with influence of Europe and left wing constantly holding development back.

S

New power station??

Guest Guest 47403
left wing constantly holding development back.

Not sure how you justify this comment Labour invested heavily in infrastructure, far more so than the current government.

The power station will be built pricing at twice the CURRENT rate. By the time on stream, it will probably be about the then average rate.

Power is going up world wide. Nothing much any of us can do about it.

Never seems to fluctuate tho does it,even petrol goes down when the oil prices do,yet with energy its constantly rising

Not sure how you justify this comment Labour invested heavily in infrastructure, far more so than the current government.

I really appreciate what Labour did for the UK investment wise, we have a nice shiny new hospital (well was about 3 years ago) which the local population are now stuck with for the next 30+ years paying 3x what it is actually worth through Labours great PPP scheme! No thanks, I will stick to spending the money I have got and can afford to borrow rather than simply racking up massive debts to win a popularity contests.....open your eyes!

Never seems to fluctuate tho does it,even petrol goes down when the oil prices do,yet with energy its constantly rising

It is a pain to move prices up or down. It seems everyone takes an extended holiday during the expensive period, and they have turned everything off and used no energy, and as the power companies only read every six months, it's hard to argue against. Try it.

It is a pain to move prices up or down. It seems everyone takes an extended holiday during the expensive period, and they have turned everything off and used no energy, and as the power companies only read every six months, it's hard to argue against. Try it.

I'm a humble bricky mate,but i realise everything cost money,i'm not daft,honest!but energy prices fluctuate for the energy companies to buy at source,yet the only fluctuation to the consumer is upwards,dont be suckered in to defending those who would have yer kecks down at every opportunity Jez,they have pr and the right wing press,they dont need any more foot soldiers

I'm a humble bricky mate,but i realise everything cost money,i'm not daft,honest!but energy prices fluctuate for the energy companies to buy at source,yet the only fluctuation to the consumer is upwards,dont be suckered in to defending those who would have yer kecks down at every opportunity Jez,they have pr and the right wing press,they dont need any more foot soldiers

They would change prices daily if they could, but the meters won't let them. (Businesses are often priced very differently (competitively) than the domestic market.

PS the other three will raise soon as they won't want people fixing at their low rates. If you are going to switch and fix - then do it now.

They would change prices daily if they could, but the meters won't let them. (Businesses are often priced very differently (competitively) than the domestic market.

Like i've said Jez,i know its not so simple,its just that all these complications always work in favour of the energy supplier,uncanny eh!

Guest Guest 47403
I really appreciate what Labour did for the UK investment wise, we have a nice shiny new hospital (well was about 3 years ago) which the local population are now stuck with for the next 30+ years paying 3x what it is actually worth through Labours great PPP scheme! No thanks, I will stick to spending the money I have got and can afford to borrow rather than simply racking up massive debts to win a popularity contests.....open your eyes!

My eyes are wide open thank you, I've clearly seen Government debt to GDP rise dramatically since the tories took over, I've seen a well run public service like the Royal Mail sold off well below it's valuation, I've seen the Armed forces slashed to the extent that we are no longer a big player on the world stage, front line policing etc etc etc ..................but all is OK house prices have risen by a couple of % in 5 yrs there almost back to 2007 prices all those austerity measures are doing the trick eh?? :wacko: Oh and we've now decided to sell our souls to the Chinese.................Wake up and smell the coffee!

My eyes are wide open thank you, I've clearly seen Government debt to GDP rise dramatically since the tories took over, I've seen a well run public service like the Royal Mail sold off well below it's valuation, I've seen the Armed forces slashed to the extent that we are no longer a big player on the world stage, front line policing etc etc etc ..................but all is OK house prices have risen by a couple of % in 5 yrs there almost back to 2007 prices all those austerity measures are doing the trick eh?? :wacko: Oh and we've now decided to sell our souls to the Chinese.................Wake up and smell the coffee!

Not forgetting that it was Majors tory gvnmt that started the ball rolling with with PFI(now ppp)schemes,or that osbourne has introduced a further 61 pfi scheme's up to now

life in general is cheaper, food, bedding, rent, house prices, free prescriptions ha, going out for a hot choc and scone, you get the gist!

I do get the gist yeah,is this allowing for the 2.2 malarkey over wages etc tho,just wondering btw,thats all?

S

really ? ...like the beer

beer prices - oct 13.jpg

beer prices - oct 13.jpg

I do get the gist yeah,is this allowing for the 2.2 malarkey over wages etc tho,just wondering btw,thats all?

I got paid much less in oz, so that probably made a different to have expensive things felt, however I do still find things cheaper. Just looking at house prices and amazed how cheap they are compared to something similar in oz, well, I couldn't afford a place in oz for a long long time! When I say afford a place I mean save for the deposit.

"Not funded by the tax payer" yet they will be paid twice the going rate!

AND all the loans taken out by the Chinese investors will be guaranteed by the non labour government.

Sounds just like the banking fiasco to me.

The Tories can always be relied upon to look after their parish eh!

I got paid much less in oz, so that probably made a different to have expensive things felt, however I do still find things cheaper. Just looking at house prices and amazed how cheap they are compared to something similar in oz, well, I couldn't afford a place in oz for a long long time! When I say afford a place I mean save for the deposit.

No probs,just curious thats all,ta for that

life in general is cheaper, food, bedding, rent, house prices, free prescriptions ha, going out for a hot choc and scone, you get the gist!

And in general wages are higher in Australia. Compare UK minimum wage (GBP 6.31 + zero for casual workers) to Australia ($16.37 + an additional 24% loading for casual workers).. I sound like Hoff.

AND all the loans taken out by the Chinese investors will be guaranteed by the non labour government.

Sounds just like the banking fiasco to me.

The Tories can always be relied upon to look after their parish eh!

Or the fact we pay out more to subsidise privatised industries like the rail industry's share holder's ,than we did when the rail industry was under public ownership

Archived