Quick question that's needs a quick answer!

Misplaced

I tried to hire a car in the UK in April but couldn't. They said as my billing address was in Australia I had to use an australian licence which arrived the day after I left Perth! They wouldn't accept a faxed copy or my UK licence. I rang the DVLA and they said my UK licence would be cancelled as I couldn't have two but as my licence hadn't been cancelled I could use it! Went back to the car hire place and told them but the f****rs still wouldn't give me a car!!!

I booked one online the same day from a different firm without any problems!

If you go back to the UK and hire a car do you show the hire car company your UK or Aussie driving license?

I'd use the UK but DON'T FORGET THE PAPER PART otherwise you cannot rent anything. Happened to hubby unfortunately that he forgot the paper part and they wouldn't release the car to him!

How does it work with the UK license not having the your current address?

As the other posters have stated, it doesn't really work. Rental companies get awfully confused and may refuse to let you have a car. I use my Aussie licence to drive in the UK without any issues (or penalties for it being foreign).

How does it work with the UK license not having the your current address?

nobody will check your current address (if you have one listed on your UK licence). Long as the licence is current. However, you may need to provide a UK phone number. You can easily pick up a sim-pack at the airport.

How about if you book online using a company like holiday autos? They book hire cars in the UK (well any country I think) for holiday makers. So figure any holiday maker using a hire car would use the driving licence of their country of origin without any problems. Let's face it hundreds of people arrive in London from around the world and pick up a hire car without any problems every day. You will have to pay part in Aussie dollars so have the exchange rate to deal with but you have that anyway going back.

Guest sidster

Use your oz one !! my wife had a problem couple of years ago when arriving on a Sunday ,they wouldn't let her have a car with a UK licence because they could not check it with Dvla as they were closed and had she had no proof of uk address that was less than 3 months old .it was a nightmare trying to sort as she didn't have her oz licence with her .

But now with oz licence no need for any other checks show them your licence and a credit card and drive off with a brand new car !!!

If you go back to the UK and hire a car do you show the hire car company your UK or Aussie driving license?

We hired a car in uk this time last year from a local hire place in Shropshire just showed our Australian one plus we had an international one which we got from the racv in victoria before we left Australia. They also wanted an account of some sort with the address of family whom we were staying with in uk on it...Phone account of my mother in law i think it was. They were very helpful and we had no problems at all. In fact we even had the car valeted before we returned and they were most surprised and said it wasn't necessary. We thought it was necessary from past experience in having had a hire car in Australia and been charged to wash the car when returned because it wasn't clean enough.

How about if you book online using a company like holiday autos? They book hire cars in the UK (well any country I think) for holiday makers. So figure any holiday maker using a hire car would use the driving licence of their country of origin without any problems. Let's face it hundreds of people arrive in London from around the world and pick up a hire car without any problems every day. You will have to pay part in Aussie dollars so have the exchange rate to deal with but you have that anyway going back.

we found it was cheaper to hire one locally than organizing one from here in Australia. Cost as at least half as much as it was going to cost if we did it here in Australia.