How did you decide whether to go to OZ?

Rosebud13

Hi all,

My husband and I are debating whether to emigrate to OZ in a few years. He's qualifying as an accountant and I've recently qualified as a Primary Teacher. I've always wanted to live in OZ but my husband isn't as keen as me and our families are dead against it.

So I wanted to know how did you decide whether to make the leap or not?

Follow your heart, you only get one chance at life. My family weren't keen at first but slowly they re coming round. For us the benefits are weather, better work/life balance and better prospects for our kids. You can always come back but if you don't give it a go you'll never know. Good luck

I would suggest, looking to see if you can get a visa, if you can get a visa then, look into how easy it is to get work in your chosen fields with the experience\ lack of experience you both have...no point emigrating if you cannot get work. Then once you have worked out how easy/ or not it is to get work, then u will be able to think more seriously about moving.

each state may be different in how easy it is to get work, something worth bearing in mind.

Strangely it was my idea and I am not embarrassed to say it first appeared as an idea after watching Wanted Down Under. My OH was always keen though and although it was me that brought the subject up, I was more cautious and mindful of what might go wrong than my OH. This is probably because I did more of the research and in particular I read the "moving back to the UK" stories on forums such as this.

We got the visa quite easily but even when we had it we still had to decide do we actually use it. In the end it was an old fashioned pros and cons list for us. We listed everything out and then we rated the importance of each factor and gave it a score, then totted up the scores.

For most of the time in the run up to us moving, my OH was always keener than me and at times I wished I had never started the process. But my OH *NEVER* put even an ounce of pressure on me, never tried to talk me into it and I came willingly. I think whilst it is ok for one party to be more enthusiastic than the other, both need to be willing. Otherwise it can be a recipe for disaster and it does end marriages.

We got an offer too good to turn down so we took it. Primary teaching isn't a great option, there are loads of out of work teachers in the places that people actually want to live (are you 4 year trained?) no idea about accounting but IIRC there is an accountant on the verge of returning to UK because of lack of work in Vic. Don't move unless you have cast iron jobs to come to and dont quit your jobs, just take career breaks. If you can come for an adventure and can afford it, why not.

I'm an Aus citizen living in the UK (dual citizenship) and my boyfriend has been trying to talk me into us moving back to Aus for about 2 years, then when our daughter was born we discussed it more in depth and decided, for us and our situation, we would be better off in Aus and our daughter would have so many more opportunities in Aus. So i think for me it was the birth of my little girl that made my mind up.

It is such a HUGE decision and yes, it will upset people, but you need to do whats best for your family. x

Rosebud, to me what Jac said is true, it just feels natural..don't force any decisions.

i wouldn't have come 10 years ago...cos for me it wasnt right...coming when I did was perfect and apart from the odd down days, which are natural in my books, I've settled like a fish to water.

I may be wrong but unless you are both mature students, then I reckon you are both under 30, you also haven't mentioned children, so why not either plan a nice long holiday or a working holiday visa and come and check out Oz. if nothing else you will have a brill time but may also be able open some doors if you decide you want to make it more permanent.

Guest Guest26012

It's not an easy decision to make? Life is what you make it in my book. If you get the chance then you both need to be on board or this May cause problems in the future? There are lots of factors to take on board. Visas, affordability, can you survive without family? Amongst many others. You sound young so you have lots of time to explore your options. Good luck!

In a few years...............perhaps. Neither of you have the experience to qualify for a visa before that.....................that said...................."in a few years" equates to the length of a piece of string. Will Oz be better placed career/financialy/lifestyle wise, or................as some would have us believe, Oz will be a basket case and the UK the driver of the EEC?.....................Make plans/goals now, but be prepared to abandon them in the future.

Thank you everyone for replying. It's very interesting to read how you made the decision to move. We couldn't go yet due to careers, but I like to plan ahead and OH doesn't. We're in our mid-twenties at the moment and have no children and if we go, we want to do so before we have children in 4/5 years time (ideally).

OH has a degree in biomedical science and is studying for ACCA accountancy whilst working as a management accountant. I think he should be qualified with the required work experience to move to OZ in 2 years.

I have a degree in French and a PGCE in primary with French. I take on board your advice Quoll about job prospects in Oz and know if we go, it will be hard for me to get a job. All this will have to be taken into consideration.

Equally, if we can make it work for us, I don't want to push OH to go, but he is risk averse and we may really regret not doing it, when we have lost the opportunity.

A trip to OZ is planned and I will continue to research about jobs and career aspects for us so we are prepared and informed and we will see what happens.

Hi all,

My husband and I are debating whether to emigrate to OZ in a few years. He's qualifying as an accountant and I've recently qualified as a Primary Teacher. I've always wanted to live in OZ but my husband isn't as keen as me and our families are dead against it.

So I wanted to know how did you decide whether to make the leap or not?

If he isn't keen forget it. You both need 110%+ commitment to make it. Sorry but it's true.

Thank you everyone for replying. It's very interesting to read how you made the decision to move. We couldn't go yet due to careers, but I like to plan ahead and OH doesn't. We're in our mid-twenties at the moment and have no children and if we go, we want to do so before we have children in 4/5 years time (ideally).

OH has a degree in biomedical science and is studying for ACCA accountancy whilst working as a management accountant. I think he should be qualified with the required work experience to move to OZ in 2 years.

I have a degree in French and a PGCE in primary with French. I take on board your advice Quoll about job prospects in Oz and know if we go, it will be hard for me to get a job. All this will have to be taken into consideration.

Equally, if we can make it work for us, I don't want to push OH to go, but he is risk averse and we may really regret not doing it, when we have lost the opportunity.

A trip to OZ is planned and I will continue to research about jobs and career aspects for us so we are prepared and informed and we will see what happens.

Your world can change and opportunities pop up out of the blue! Far better to go with the flow and see what happens rather than, as many seem to do, put their lives on hold because the plan is to move some time in the future! Planning ahead is for the birds!

I came on a WHV on my own 35 years ago. I only intended to stay for the year but also loved it from Day 1.

Sydney was so gorgeous in November when I arrived; the jacarandas were out, the sky was blue and the harbour all sparkly.

I took one look and decided it would do nicely. And it has.

Archived