Update 10 months after returning to the Uk

blobby1000

The bottom line is this: if you leave your home country, there must have been a reason. It's not something you do on a whim, after all. So there's no point in going back, unless that reason no longer applies.

Well i certainly don't agree with this. For us, once we arrived, and the initial excitement settled down, we realised that the UK was actually pretty good for us. Just because you leave the UK because there is something wrong does not necessarily mean that Australia will be better.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what you're saying is, your experience in Australia made you realize your discontent in the UK was based on unrealistic expectations. So in a way it still applies, because you know that now, and therefore your original reason for leaving no longer exists. That's what I'm trying to say - that you've got to sit down and work out why you left, and make sure that's not going to be a problem again when you get back.

So what you're saying is, your experience in Australia made you realize your discontent in the UK was based on unrealistic expectations. So in a way it still applies, because you know that now, and therefore your original reason for leaving no longer exists. That's what I'm trying to say - that you've got to sit down and work out why you left, and make sure that's not going to be a problem again when you get back.

A lot of people who migrate are not discontented with life in the UK. They may move for many reasons including work, family etc. many never intend it to be forever.

Scotland is UK is it not? Just as WA is part of Australia and has different opening times from the more modern states. Most of Europe has 24hr too.

For now :wink:

Guest Guest 47403
For now :wink:

If I was Scotch I'd vote for independence............................but it will never happen because all the intelligent scotch know whats good for the country.

Personally, I feel it's unhelpful to view staying in Australia in terms of 'success' or 'failure.' That latter word gets used on this particular forum by certain posters almost as a stick to beat returnees who've had the gall to subject Australia to critical appraisal. Australia doesn't work for everyone. No matter how rigorous their planning, how adaptable they strive to be, or how stoic they are in the face of set-backs. Often though it's just a case of preference. They prefer the UK, despite it's many flaws, over Australia. That's no slight on Australia, nor is it a dig at those who who've found their happiness here.

I've been in Australia for over five years now, and to my neighbours I'd probably appear to be a successful migrant. I have a reasonably well paid job, my partner earns more than she did in England and our little girl is very happy here. As a family unit we're living a slightly better life overall than we were in England, so am I a 'success?.' Well, I certainly don't feel I fit into that particular crude pigeon-hole. Yes I can now afford more electronic toys and better quality wine, but in terms of connecting with Australia, in having an interest in the country, it's people and it's culture then I'm definitely a 'failure.' After five years and counting that's unlikely to change either. Like the returnees, I just prefer the UK.

Over the years PIO has offered a relatively safe space to air views about Australia that I'd either not air publicly (for fear of reprisal), or which never come up in day to day conversation. There are numerous aspects of Australian culture, politics and governance which I'm critical of, just as equally there are in the UK. Again, I don't think holding these views should condemn anyone to having the 'f-word' slung at them. This country, just like any other in the world, is not above criticism in my view. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that as a country which becomes noticeably defensive when critically examined by outsiders, it's healthy for those outsiders to make criticisms. I think it's good to hear what the wider world thinks of you as a country. Often it's an eye-opener, and I'm sure those criticisms sting, but overall I think it's better for those criticisms to be made and to be reflected upon, rather than for everyone to passively engage in the "lucky country" / "it's all good" type blandness which is in danger of suffocating debate about how this country functions and the direction of it's future.

If I was Scotch I'd vote for independence............................but it will never happen because all the intelligent scotch know whats good for the country.

its scots or Scottish Baz ,not scotch ....scotch is a drink :biglaugh:...the scots find that very offensive

Well i certainly don't agree with this. For us, once we arrived, and the initial excitement settled down, we realised that the UK was actually pretty good for us. Just because you leave the UK because there is something wrong does not necessarily mean that Australia will be better.

Your opinion, your thoughts. Well expressed.

Your opinion, your thoughts of what the OP actually means. Equally well expressed-but totally wrong.

Please allow each of us to make our own judgment call without your compelling need to tell us what we really mean and how we should go about changing our attitude!!!!

A lot of people who migrate are not discontented with life in the UK. They may move for many reasons including work, family etc. many never intend it to be forever.

Yes. I would have thought this obvious. But of course people don't know their own minds......

.........you're for it now!! It would take the most extraordinary intelligence for spirits to decide the future of the country!

Personally, I feel it's unhelpful to view staying in Australia in terms of 'success' or 'failure.' That latter word gets used on this particular forum by certain posters almost as a stick to beat returnees who've had the gall to subject Australia to critical appraisal. Australia doesn't work for everyone. No matter how rigorous their planning, how adaptable they strive to be, or how stoic they are in the face of set-backs. Often though it's just a case of preference. They prefer the UK, despite it's many flaws, over Australia. That's no slight on Australia, nor is it a dig at those who who've found their happiness here.

I've been in Australia for over five years now, and to my neighbours I'd probably appear to be a successful migrant. I have a reasonably well paid job, my partner earns more than she did in England and our little girl is very happy here. As a family unit we're living a slightly better life overall than we were in England, so am I a 'success?.' Well, I certainly don't feel I fit into that particular crude pigeon-hole. Yes I can now afford more electronic toys and better quality wine, but in terms of connecting with Australia, in having an interest in the country, it's people and it's culture then I'm definitely a 'failure.' After five years and counting that's unlikely to change either. Like the returnees, I just prefer the UK.

Over the years PIO has offered a relatively safe space to air views about Australia that I'd either not air publicly (for fear of reprisal), or which never come up in day to day conversation. There are numerous aspects of Australian culture, politics and governance which I'm critical of, just as equally there are in the UK. Again, I don't think holding these views should condemn anyone to having the 'f-word' slung at them. This country, just like any other in the world, is not above criticism in my view. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that as a country which becomes noticeably defensive when critically examined by outsiders, it's healthy for those outsiders to make criticisms. I think it's good to hear what the wider world thinks of you as a country. Often it's an eye-opener, and I'm sure those criticisms sting, but overall I think it's better for those criticisms to be made and to be reflected upon, rather than for everyone to passively engage in the "lucky country" / "it's all good" type blandness which is in danger of suffocating debate about how this country functions and the direction of it's future.

That'll do.

its scots or Scottish Baz ,not scotch ....scotch is a drink :biglaugh:...the scots find that very offensive

!! (It adds to an interesting ongoing debate though; there are some titles that DO cause offence to the recipients, even if those that use them don't find them offensive).

No not really. We had totally unrealistic expectations of Australia.

We also underestimated the real feeling of living somewhere where you don't feel you belong. I got tired of always treading on egg shells around Aussies and permanently being obligated to tell them what a truly wonderful country they have and how honoured I am to live there.

No not really. We had totally unrealistic expectations of Australia.

We also underestimated the real feeling of living somewhere where you don't feel you belong. I got tired of always treading on egg shells around Aussies and permanently being obligated to tell them what a truly wonderful country they have and how honoured I am to live there.

Thats the bit i will never understand of peoples "dreams",but im a cynic

This is a wonderful posts and eloquently describes what I have been trying to say for years.

Australia is not so bad but it's exhausting moving somewhere where you don't feel permitted to be honest and say what you think about a country. Living in Australia is a bit like popping round your Grandma's house and holding in a fart all afternoon.

Thats the bit i will never understand of peoples "dreams",but im a cynic

How do you mean? Surely when you left everything you knew behind in the UK you must have thought you were going somewhere truly amazing didn't you? I thought we were all like that, otherwise why would anyone ever go!

ha ha ha - that made me laugh out loud.................I know what u mean

This is a wonderful posts and eloquently describes what I have been trying to say for years.

Australia is not so bad but it's exhausting moving somewhere where you don't feel permitted to be honest and say what you think about a country. Living in Australia is a bit like popping round your Grandma's house and holding in a fart all afternoon.

we grow, we develop, we learn stuff about ourselves......hopefully until our dying day

we can't really know what it's like to be an immigrant until we've been one....and even then each experience is different. Thanks for sharing your story Blobby.....it's useful for the rest of us.........[

How do you mean? Surely when you left everything you knew behind in the UK you must have thought you were going somewhere truly amazing didn't you? I thought we were all like that, otherwise why would anyone ever go!

I haven't left the uk,to do that i need the house to sell,no other way,simple as that

No,dont judge everyone as naive as yourself,i dont think for one minute aus is utopia,nor is it the most financially sensible thing for me to do,here i'll probably be mortgage free before long,in aus i'll be starting on the bottom rung due to house prices,thats the reality

No,i dont think aus is truly amazing,some people just get itchy feet,need a change or adventure,despite knowing it could be a risky financial strategy,"sensible" reasons dont always matter the most,sometimes people just say ahhhh "#### it'lets try it anyway",know what i mean?

Stop judging others reasons for wanting to try aus against your own,you expected too much,i dont,im not a dreamer

Guest Guest 47403

Firstly blobby I don't find you to be one of the bitter returnees since returning you haven't made a point of spending your every living minute slagging off Australia........

But can I ask what did you expect when you first migrated? Who set your expectations? I will be moving in the next few months and no one has sold me an unrealistic dream, who told you were going somewhere 'truly amazing'

Mortgage free?????????? are u one of these people that puts a 20 year old photo on the internet!!! ha ha

no really.....lucky you.....and well done for your hard work

Lol,im hardly rich btw!,should be mortgage free already,gave up my 50k of equity in my old marital house back in 2001,and settled for 4k,rather than take my ex wife to court,so had to start over again with that 4k,could do with 50k now tbh,but i can hold my head up,i never ripped her off,she knows that,and i have my pride,and my pride is a thousand times more important than money

Still got no money tho lol

This overly-sensitive Australian thing is really over-played IMHO. Try putting the shoe on the other foot: Be openly critical of the UK, in the UK, but with a foreign accent. About as welcome as that fart in your Grandmothers house. Many of you seem to think that because you complain like a good un in the UK, and hear it all around you, that the whole country is a sea of robust self-reflection, open to all opinions. That only works if your accent blends in. As someone who had an Australian accent in the UK, I wouldn't have dreamt of wandering around pointing out what I perceived to be flaws. A few may have escaped out of frustration but I never expected my hand shook and appreciation for my input.

It's like criticisms of your own family. Only welcome from those who belong. This is pretty much true no matter where you're from. Same with countries.

Righto :mask:

I've been and right clickety clicked like a mad thing and lopped a heap of posts off this thread.

Stop the bickering, discuss the topic not the people discussing the topic. And stop all the other stuff too while you are about it, you are flogging the old proverbial and its gotten very old :wacko:

Cheers and warm fuzzy internet hugs :hug:

snifter

PS - Some of the banter was lovely but when other posts were lopped, they lost context so alas had to go into the internet void of deleted posts *sniff*

This overly-sensitive Australian thing is really over-played IMHO. Try putting the shoe on the other foot: Be openly critical of the UK, in the UK, but with a foreign accent. About as welcome as that fart in your Grandmothers house. Many of you seem to think that because you complain like a good un in the UK, and hear it all around you, that the whole country is a sea of robust self-reflection, open to all opinions. That only works if your accent blends in. As someone who had an Australian accent in the UK, I wouldn't have dreamt of wandering around pointing out what I perceived to be flaws. A few may have escaped out of frustration but I never expected my hand shook and appreciation for my input.

It's like criticisms of your own family. Only welcome from those who belong. This is pretty much true no matter where you're from. Same with countries.

Nail and head me thinks.

makes a lot of sense that post.

A country is just a country.I'd like to know how people's expectations of a place manage to get so distorted from the reality?TV shows?Migration agents?Friends or family already over there?Your own "dream"(hate that word lol)?Not having a go Blobby,I'm just curious from you and other posters,why the dream did'nt match the reality?What did you think it would be like?

Guest Guest 47403

Great post your right.

I believe the perceived view of an over sensitive Australia kicks in when someone realises they aren't fitting it to the way of life, suffering from home sickness or the realisation they made a mistake emigrating, it's just another coping mechanism to pass the blame for things not working out.

Archived