Update 10 months after returning to the Uk

blobby1000

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all your kind responses. I don't get on here much these days. I remember being in Australia and never quite understanding why ex poms In Oz still felt the need to tell new poms in oz that Australia was rubbish! I never wanted to be one of those people...I said enough when I was over there! it's almost like some people have to convince themselves the move back to the UK was right.....

Like someone back a few posts said......life's never quite the same again but it will be all the richer for the experience in the longer term.

renting, cost of living, sunscreen, parks, all good notes, families and friends we've been in Oz 18 months and as much as we try, they just don't mingle..in bed at 8, up at 4:30……dark at 6 every night on balance…only contract jobs, for us the only good thing about Oz is the weather, the wildlife, as for lifestyle they don't have one…Were heading home, i must say its bloody boring place I've ever been too……..

renting, cost of living, sunscreen, parks, all good notes, families and friends we've been in Oz 18 months and as much as we try, they just don't mingle..in bed at 8, up at 4:30……dark at 6 every night on balance…only contract jobs, for us the only good thing about Oz is the weather, the wildlife, as for lifestyle they don't have one…Were heading home, i must say its bloody boring place I've ever been too……..

If I had just one word to some up Australia that's the word |Iwould use too.

If I had just one word to some up Australia that's the word |Iwould use too.

Where do you guys live? I would hardly call australia boring (having lived in London and Australia). Like any move overseas it's very much what you make of it.

Some parts of Australia are boring ( not round here ) . Some parts of the UK are boring, too. I tend to agree that some of the warmer places are a bit lacking. Down here people don't clear off to bed mid-evening and don't get up that early either. Just depends where you are I guess. Personally I don't like the booze culture you get up in some of the Northern regions- very, very boring. Hang around the pubs, get legless , talk loudly and go home- nah. In Palm Cove, for example, they even take their babies with them and park them outside in their pushers whilst they booze. I find that offensive.

Correct

Have to say i totally agree with this too. All i seem to do here is work come home and go to bed, then get up in the middle of the night to go to work again. I even found myself waiting for the shops to open on Sunday at 11a.m. so we could do bloody food shopping on my day off because the shops are in the dark ages here!

Guest Guest 47403
Have to say i totally agree with this too. All i seem to do here is work come home and go to bed, then get up in the middle of the night to go to work again. I even found myself waiting for the shops to open on Sunday at 11a.m. so we could do bloody food shopping on my day off because the shops are in the dark ages here!

The big supermarkets in the UK don't open until 11am on a Sunday, bet that's acceptable though because it's the UK :laugh:

Guest Guest 47403
Fail

Incorrect leg end I checked out the big supermarkets on line before I posted, there doors tend to open at 10:30am but the tills don't open until 11am, Sunday trading laws??

I agree about the shorter opening hours of shops in general here, but don't understand why you need to do food shop on a Sunday. Coles and Woolies are open to 9pm during the week. IGA can be 11pm or some 24hr same with spud shed.

So even if you Didnt finish work til 7pm you would still have time to get to the shops.

Guest Guest 47403
I smell bullsh!t

Go on then myth buster do your stuff, I know my local tesco and sainsbury open at 11am on a Sunday so I thought I'd better check before I post as things might be different in the big smoke but there not!....................now go on off you trot see if I'm wrong.

I agree about the shorter opening hours of shops in general here, but don't understand why you need to do food shop on a Sunday. Coles and Woolies are open to 9pm during the week. IGA can be 11pm or some 24hr same with spud shed.

So even if you Didnt finish work til 7pm you would still have time to get to the shops.

Not everywhere Fifi, ours close at 6pm weeknights and are not open at all on a sunday. Because everyone tries to squeeze in shopping between 5pm and 6pm on a weeknight or god forbid a saturday, the shops are hellishly busy and it's enough to give everyone trolley rage! Particularly on the run up to Christmas it's a nightmare.

I agree with you fourcorners, probably a lot different where you are and if the poster who said he had to do food shopping on a Sunday lived where you I are I could see his point.

but he doesn't he lives in Perth ...not far from me I believe. At the moment I'm working full time mon to Fri plus dog walks before and after work plus household chores etc and I manage to get my shopping done during the week.

Go on then myth buster do your stuff, I know my local tesco and sainsbury open at 11am on a Sunday so I thought I'd better check before I post as things might be different in the big smoke but there not!....................now go on off you trot see if I'm wrong.

:laugh: ok so did you

I checked out the big supermarkets on line before I posted,
or just check your local supermarket?

The fact is that most supermarkeys are open at 10am sundays, a lot now open 24hrs during the week, also the many express versions of the stores are open at 6am sundays. Shall we leave it at that or would you require links?

Another myth BUSTED!!!:cool:

Guest Guest 47403
:laugh: ok so did you or just check your local supermarket?

The fact is that most supermarkeys are open at 10am sundays, a lot now open 24hrs during the week, also the many express versions of the stores are open at 6am sundays. Shall we leave it at that or would you require links?

Another myth BUSTED!!!:cool:

Straight out of bed straight on PIO busting myths eh leg end your every bodies hero.

Glad we finally agree that the big super markets don't open until mid morning on a Sunday we're not on about through the week we all know big super markets are open 24hrs :rolleyes:

Tesco express are convenience stores not supermarkets, you'll have to get up earlier to catch me out leg end c'mon keep up :cool:

Guest Guest 47403
Sad! The need to discuss supermarket hours - bit stunned by this discussion!

I know some people just can't accept when they're beat :cute:

Archived