Australia's Bikie Gangs

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Do you think the new crackdown is too harsh, only the other day ere was an article where an innocent bikie group got pulled by the police. People are saying its going to be the end of going out for a Sunday ride with your mates through the countryside. What do the bikie members think?

I agree there should be a crackdown on the bikie gangs but not on innocent people meeting up for a weekend ride.

Authorities have vowed to keep pressure on outlaw motorcycle gangs after 57 people were arrested in a series of overnight raids around the country.

Operation Patch led to the arrest of 57 people on charges including assault and robbery, as well as for property, drug, firearm and traffic offences.

Police say they searched more than 190 vehicles, conducted more than 120 bail compliance checks and executed almost 80 property search warrants seizing cash, drugs and a vehicle during the national day of action.

In Queensland, 11 bikie gang members, including the presidents of the Bandidos and the Rebels gangs, were arrested.

The 25-year-old Gold Coast chapter president of the Bandidos from Carindale has been accused of steroid possession and is due to face a Brisbane court tomorrow.

A 54-year-old man identified as the Rebels president was charged with drug offences in Mount Isa and is due to appear in the Mount Isa Magistrates Court tomorrow.

In Melbourne, police called in the army to move a prime mover from a property connected with the Hells Angels' sergeant at arms, Peter 'Skitzo' Hewat.

South Australian police searched domestic and business premises, including tattoo parlours and the Mongols clubrooms at Thebarton.

Bikies who are currently in custody were also targetted, with 34 cells being searched by Correctional Services personnel.

The crackdown came as the Queensland Government prepares to introduce tough new laws to increase the coercive powers of the Crime and Misconduct Commission's so-called star chamber.

'National approach is needed'

Queensland's Deputy Police Commissioner Brett Pointing says all state and territory police departments united in the 24-hour blitz operation.

"Criminals don't respect borders. Police are working together across Australia," he said in a statement.

"The community expects us to do everything in our power to disrupt, prevent, and where necessary, respond to illegal activity, including the illicit activities of [bikies]."

Rewards of up to $500,000 will be offered in the event of a successful prosecution or shut-down of a criminal gang.

Queensland's Deputy Police Commissioner Brett Pointing

He said the concerted effort by police was critically important to ensure that criminal motorcycle gangs do not get a stronger foothold in Queensland and Australia.

Mr Ponting appealed to the public for more information to continue the crackdown, and offered cash rewards for information leading to a successful raid on drug labs, or the discovery of guns, ammunition or other weapons.

"Rewards of up to $500,000 will be offered in the event of a successful prosecution or shutdown of a criminal gang," he said.

"Your information is vital - call anonymously through Crime Stoppers to help police target any criminal behaviour in the community."

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on the club. When I move to QLD I intend to patch-in as my club won't have an Oz chapter, but I will only do it if the club is right.

Sometimes a crackdown is needed but they need to be careful of stereotyping the whole biker community.

Totally over the top but not unexpected in a country that prides conformity. Obviously some are involved in criminal activities just as are any other members of any fraternity. As I mentioned before if a crime has been committed then bust the one doing the crime. Otherwise leave motor cycle clubs alone. As I mentioned before there is little crime in their vicinity and they have no interest upsetting ordinary folk. Don't be scared of difference. Live and let live.

Posts like this really annoy me! Get your facts right people before making a public comment!

Police are not concerned about Sunday morning riders and they are not "stereotyping the whole biker community" as some cops ride Harleys too. Police are concerned about members of Outlaw bikie gangs, wearing their colours (waistcoats with their club chapter displayed) whilst out riding, and their businesses.

Ask yourselves this: Quite a few of the members do not even have a bike so why else are they in these OMCGs?

Vandeux, I would think very carefully about joining a Outlaw bikie gang when you get here. Its not all about a Sunday morning ride out.

JOHN

Totally over the top but not unexpected in a country that prides conformity. Obviously some are involved in criminal activities just as are any other members of any fraternity. As I mentioned before if a crime has been committed then bust the one doing the crime. Otherwise leave motor cycle clubs alone. As I mentioned before there is little crime in their vicinity and they have no interest upsetting ordinary folk. Don't be scared of difference. Live and let live.

They are called OUTLAW motorcycle gangs for a reason!

Guest The Pom Queen
Posts like this really annoy me! Get your facts right people before making a public comment!

Police are not concerned about Sunday morning riders and they are not "stereotyping the whole biker community" as some cops ride Harleys too. Police are concerned about members of Outlaw bikie gangs, wearing their colours (waistcoats with their club chapter displayed) whilst out riding, and their businesses.

Ask yourselves this: Quite a few of the members do not even have a bike so why else are they in these OMCGs?

Vandeux, I would think very carefully about joining a Outlaw bikie gang when you get here. Its not all about a Sunday morning ride out.

JOHN

Welcome back Hun, John you probably know a bike group got pulled up our way the other day and it made headlines, I personally don't know if what the group members say is correct but they state they are a group of enthusiasts who are ex servicemen etc http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2013/10/09/248944_local-news.html

Then you have the media with headlines like "Queensland Police ordered to pull every bikie they see" http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/police-ordered-to-pull-over-every-bikie-they-see-20131009-2v8h7.html

Obviously you are in the job so know what's what but to tell us all to get our facts right... We can only go with what facts are presented to us (unfortunately this is usually via the media who aren't great with facts)

First of all you are all making a massive incorrect assumption. The two articles that you have referred to make reference to "Bikies". Bikies are Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs (OMCG) and not Bikers who go out on a Sunday ride with their mates.

Welcome back Hun, John you probably know a bike group got pulled up our way the other day and it made headlines, I personally don't know if what the group members say is correct but they state they are a group of enthusiasts who are ex servicemen etc http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2013/10/09/248944_local-news.html

The officer has done nothing wrong by taking rego details. The final quote of the article sums it all up and shows that that the article is media hysteria at its finest: "In light of recent activities of some clubs, especially in the south-east corner, there is an increased focus on the activities and movements of criminal motorcycle gangs," he said. "As a result this group was intercepted at the service station and once it was established they did not belong to a criminal motorcycle gang, no further action was taken and police left."

The group were wearing clothing similar to OMCG clothing. The officer checked them out and was satisfied they were not OMCG and so did not take any action. I can't see a problem with that.

Then you have the media with headlines like "Queensland Police ordered to pull every bikie they see" http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/police-ordered-to-pull-over-every-bikie-they-see-20131009-2v8h7.html

This article has the word "Bikies" through the whole article. Bikies as in OMCG not Bikers. Read it in that context and it makes perfect sense.

Are Australian Police targeting bikies? YES

Are Australian Police targeting bikers? Categorically NO.

Cant see a problem.

Hope that clears up a few points.

First of all you are all making a massive incorrect assumption. The two articles that you have referred to make reference to "Bikies". Bikies are Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs (OMCG) and not Bikers who go out on a Sunday ride with their mates.

The officer has done nothing wrong by taking rego details. The final quote of the article sums it all up and shows that that the article is media hysteria at its finest: "In light of recent activities of some clubs, especially in the south-east corner, there is an increased focus on the activities and movements of criminal motorcycle gangs," he said. "As a result this group was intercepted at the service station and once it was established they did not belong to a criminal motorcycle gang, no further action was taken and police left."

The group were wearing clothing similar to OMCG clothing. The officer checked them out and was satisfied they were not OMCG and so did not take any action. I can't see a problem with that.

This article has the word "Bikies" through the whole article. Bikies as in OMCG not Bikers. Read it in that context and it makes perfect sense.

Cant see a problem.

Just goes a way to explain the heavy handedness of the law enforcers. Where are the bans going to stop at? In theory anything found distasteful by government could fall under the same law. It should not be illegal to be part of a motor cycle club, regardless of if the law terms it illegal.

Arrest those committing the crime.

Cant see a problem.

jesus keep your hair on, kate's trying to be nice and you're biting her head off!

I can't really make a comment cos i don't know much (well nothing) about the situation

Hi Britchickx

I have reread my post and cant not see where I am "biting Kate's head off"? What part of that post was rude? Kate and I are FB friends and have been in contact for quite a few years and the last thing I would want to do is upset her.

Hi Flag of convenience

I am not being rude here but it might be prudent to not post on subjects that you obviously have no knowledge about. Do your homework and then come back on the thread. I am not going to be drawn into an argument on uninformed opinions.

Guest The Pom Queen

Personally I didn't know there was a difference between a biker and a bikie.

Is the meaning of outlaw different in Oz as I know in USA it just means that the club doesn't abide by the American Motorcyclist Association, so by being an outlaw gang doesn't make them criminals. Just like owning a dog and not having it registered with the kennel club isn't against the law (well that's my understanding)

You might want to read up on the composition of these criminal bikie gangs - organized crime in spades and I fully support police actions to manage the situation - it's about bloody time! One hesitates to say it but there are certain ethnic groups running the show and a new white pommie biker would go down like a lead balloon! (sorry Vandeux!) (or in a hail of lead balloons more likely!)

Anyone ever met anyone from a bikie club?

You know, in real life?

Most guys in the clubs are working class men, they go to work and they live for the club.

No they are not angels, but they are not devils either. They are not what the media portray them as.

But the media do love an easy target and hey bikies are it. Just look at their tattoo's and they wear a patch on their back, they must be bad people because the news said so.

Look they are wearing a hoody and they have shaved heads. oohhh.

Big deal.

It is just the alarmist Australian media whipping the populace up into a frenzy.

Most bikies I have met have been polite and respectful and so have I. I never tried to pick a fight with one and none have ever tried to pick a fight with me. But you know if you do want a fight I am sure they will oblige. And plenty of people want to prove themselves, to their mates or maybe have just drank too much of the stupid juice that night.

As for organised crime, grow up people, bikies are small fish compared to other groups. Triads, Chinese mafia, Albanians, Russians you name it but there are more organised and more scarey people out there than bikes. And unfortunately they don't ride loud motorcycles and have a patch on their back that says "I'm a bad guy". They more than likely drive a SUV and wear a suit.

Wasn't there a whole town in Australia owned by the Italian mafia? Didn't they grow tons and tons of weed there? Even the cops and local councillors were in on it, little old ladies too.

So yes the bikies are picked on by the media and the police, and this will only make them famous and attract more attention for them. And keep up their bad boy image. They love the attention of the media. Not so much the cops.

And what were they arrested for steroids and some smoke. Big deal, muscle man wanting to get bigger, happens in every gym and some smoke, becoming legal all over the world now isn't it?

Grow up people, look at the big picture.

Right that's it, I'm going to shave my head again and go for a ride on my bike.

It was big as it was the quote from the article and I highlighted the pertinent points. No other reason.

WTF Is the difference between a biker gang and a bikie gang? They are called biker gangs in every other country in the world.. Just bikie is Australia as they like to put an 'IE' on the end of many words! At the end of the day everyone knows what they are whether we choose to call them Biker or bikie..

Talk about being pedantic!!

WTF Is the difference between a biker gang and a bikie gang? They are called biker gangs in every other country in the world.. Just bikie is Australia as they like to put an 'IE' on the end of many words! At the end of the day everyone knows what they are whether we choose to call them Biker or bikie..

Talk about being pedantic!!

It's not being pedantic. In Aust the terms mean very different things.

A biker is just someone who rides for enjoyment often in the company of other like minded individuals.

A bikie on the other hand is a member of a criminal gang.

Guest The Pom Queen
It's not being pedantic. In Aust the terms mean very different things.

A biker is just someone who rides for enjoyment often in the company of other like minded individuals.

A bikie on the other hand is a member of a criminal gang.

It's something I never knew until it was mentioned on this thread, see I learn something new everyday :yes:

Anyone ever met anyone from a bikie club?

You know, in real life?

Most guys in the clubs are working class men, they go to work and they live for the club.

No they are not angels, but they are not devils either. They are not what the media portray them as.

But the media do love an easy target and hey bikies are it. Just look at their tattoo's and they wear a patch on their back, they must be bad people because the news said so.

Look they are wearing a hoody and they have shaved heads. oohhh.

Big deal.

It is just the alarmist Australian media whipping the populace up into a frenzy.

Most bikies I have met have been polite and respectful and so have I. I never tried to pick a fight with one and none have ever tried to pick a fight with me. But you know if you do want a fight I am sure they will oblige. And plenty of people want to prove themselves, to their mates or maybe have just drank too much of the stupid juice that night.

As for organised crime, grow up people, bikies are small fish compared to other groups. Triads, Chinese mafia, Albanians, Russians you name it but there are more organised and more scarey people out there than bikes. And unfortunately they don't ride loud motorcycles and have a patch on their back that says "I'm a bad guy". They more than likely drive a SUV and wear a suit.

Wasn't there a whole town in Australia owned by the Italian mafia? Didn't they grow tons and tons of weed there? Even the cops and local councillors were in on it, little old ladies too.

So yes the bikies are picked on by the media and the police, and this will only make them famous and attract more attention for them. And keep up their bad boy image. They love the attention of the media. Not so much the cops.

And what were they arrested for steroids and some smoke. Big deal, muscle man wanting to get bigger, happens in every gym and some smoke, becoming legal all over the world now isn't it?

Grow up people, look at the big picture.

Right that's it, I'm going to shave my head again and go for a ride on my bike.

I serviced the Rebel support car before they went to WA recently. The son of one works in our building detailing cars, and an extraordinary hard worker he is. Just ordinary folk the ones I come into contact with.

Hi Britchickx

I have reread my post and cant not see where I am "biting Kate's head off"? What part of that post was rude? Kate and I are FB friends and have been in contact for quite a few years and the last thing I would want to do is upset her.

Hi Flag of convenience

I am not being rude here but it might be prudent to not post on subjects that you obviously have no knowledge about. Do your homework and then come back on the thread. I am not going to be drawn into an argument on uninformed opinions.

So what is your great insight into the matter? A rather arrogant view if you don't mind me saying. If we don't stand up for democracy and the right of others to live a life they deem fit even if that is outside mainstream society, then we have no right to call ourselves democratic. Do your homework into what that means. As I said if crimes can be proved arrest the individuals.

Archived