Moving States from Perth to Melbourne!

tdk43

Hi Everyone,

Looking for any advice, or if many people have made the move?

We have been in Perth for 19 months, and am really not feeling the love for Perth! The original reasons I thought id love it, are the reasons that I am actually beginning to resent living here! I am finding the isolation from other cities probably the main reason. There are many many more things.

We recently went on holiday to Indonesia, and met a lot of Australians who were from the eastern states, and were reassuring us that Perth is a very different entity than the eastern side of Australia.

We had thought should we just pack up and return to UK, but obviously we have come all this way, so seems silly to give up before experiencing another part.

The families we met had a lot of good things to say about Melbourne, its location is very appealing for visiting other places.

So guess my questions are, if you've moved, how does it compare, a success move?

The thought of beginning again is a bit daunting, making new friends, finding a nice area, but we have managed before so could do it again!

Thanks,

Donna x

mate moving to Melb is not as stressful as moving from Pomland. You will just be fine, do you have contacts of those aussie people you met in bali? If u have then give them a ring. You can find rental properties on realestate.com.au or flatmates.com.au

Not uncommon for Aussies in other cities to put down Perth. Perth is an isolated city on an isolated continent though. A lot may depend where you live in Melbourne and exactly what are the other issues impacting to date.

I must admit I've thought several times about relocating to Melbourne myself. If was in early thirties as you folk are and wanted to remain in Oz pretty sure I'd move to either there or Sydney. Good luck if you decide to relocate. It does sound like it may suit your needs more guessing what those needs probably are.

I think Perth is a lovely city but its too far away for me from the other cities in Aus. It costs too much to travel in Australia from Perth.

I have lived in Sydney and Melbourne and love Melbourne. Love the climate which everyone who does not live here bemoans however it suits four and a half million of Melbournians.

You will be fine, just have to decide where you would like to live, Melbourne is the size of Greater London so need to hone in on an area and also where you will be working has to be taken into account.

Its bewildering at first and is totally different to Perth so if you have not been here before do not expect anything like Perth.

Join up with the Life in Victoria forum most of the members are newish to Melbourne and they will be able to help you a lot with accommodation etc. Also a lot in your age group.

There is a link to the forum at the foot of this forum

Good Luck

Why not go over for a visit and see if you like the feel of it? I've visited Brisbane, Sydney and Cairns - like them all for different reasons, but didn't have the feeling I could live there (yet have friends/family who do very happily). You've made a massive move from UK to Perth ... moving states should be easy in comparison.

Guest Guest66881

Not surprised at 'eastenders' comments about the 'west end' clan, if it's that good over that side why so many over here working?

Not knocking the east coast at all, i can't really as i have never been, but the bickering on here between local areas is looking the same on a national scale about east and west, maybe it's a jealousy thing - maybe they are right in what they say, but ask yourself this how many of the 'west end haters' have actually been here?

At the end of the day the only way you will find out is by going there, either do a holiday visit or take the plunge full on, please report back with your findings though, do it before 8.30pm as most of here are in bed by then though:wink:

Guest The Pom Queen

I have known a number of families who hated Melbourne and moved over to Perth, 4 of these families were PIO members but not sure they come on anymore. They hated Melbourne and were on the verge of returning to the UK but opted for Perth, they absolutely love Perth and wish they had moved there sooner. It just shows we are all different, some love the isolation, personally from the feedback Perth gets on here (even though its negative) I think we would love it. We aren't city people and hate hustle and bustle but if that's whats missing then Melbourne will be for you

Yes- we're all different. I love Melbourne and could never live in Perth. They are chalk and cheese really as you will find out. You do need to choose your area, depending on what you are looking for because Melbourne is huge and covers many different styles of living/housing/ways of life.

WA is great for a holiday but nearly everything going on in Australia is on the East Coast. WA persons are very different than east coasters, and that was bleedingly obvious meeting them en masse in 1970 on joining the military. "west is best" every second becomes tiresome very quickly with a chip on the shoulder bigger than Ayres Rock!

Melbourne has a big city buzz about it that makes it totally different to Perth but depends what you prefer.

I like the east coast because you can fly between all the major cities at pretty reasonable prices. 1 hour Brissie to Sydney and about 2 hours Brisbane to Melbourne

Not surprised at 'eastenders' comments about the 'west end' clan, if it's that good over that side why so many over here working?

Not knocking the east coast at all, i can't really as i have never been, but the bickering on here between local areas is looking the same on a national scale about east and west, maybe it's a jealousy thing - maybe they are right in what they say, but ask yourself this how many of the 'west end haters' have actually been here?

At the end of the day the only way you will find out is by going there, either do a holiday visit or take the plunge full on, please report back with your findings though, do it before 8.30pm as most of here are in bed by then though:wink:

Their here for the money

My parents lived in Perth and they did not like it even though Dad's brother settled there when he left the British Navy. We have a large family over there and I have visited there several times and as I said before its nothing to do with east and west its where we like best and distance.

I think there are a lot of great places to live in Australia. I agree that you should try and get cheap airfares and take a bit of a holiday to Melbourne before making the move. Having a holiday is not the same as living in a place but it will give you a good idea. Having only been in Perth for a relatively short time I would also make sure it is not that you are just feeling a bit home sick as you will feel that no matter where you are living. In my experience people take anywhere from one to two years to really settle into the Australian way of life. I also have known many people jump on a plane back home to the UK only to realise that it was a mistake and then it does cost them a lot of money. I moved to Melbourne from Scotland 23 years ago and I am very happy living there. My son moved to Perth and I think if my husband had originally got a job in Perth we would have been happy living there as well but I do understand when you feel a bit out of sorts and it is important that you are happy where you are living

Hi Everyone,

We have been in Perth for 19 months, and am really not feeling the love for Perth! The original reasons I thought id love it, are the reasons that I am actually beginning to resent living here! I am finding the isolation from other cities probably the main reason. There are many many more things.

We recently went on holiday to Indonesia, and met a lot of Australians who were from the eastern states, and were reassuring us that Perth is a very different entity than the eastern side of Australia.

We had thought should we just pack up and return to UK, but obviously we have come all this way, so seems silly to give up before experiencing another part.

The families we met had a lot of good things to say about Melbourne, its location is very appealing for visiting other places.

So guess my questions are, if you've moved, how does it compare, a success move?

The thought of beginning again is a bit daunting, making new friends, finding a nice area, but we have managed before so could do it again!

Thanks,

Donna x

One thing I know for sure is that Perth is not for me, I have visited and was not particularly taken with it, but that is by the by, I know it is not for me because of its location.

I like the east coast because I like to get out and about and I find the rest of the country more accessible from the east coast. I live in Sydney and it is a lovely city, I feel like it offers the best of two worlds, that is a decent CBD but also easy access to beaches and water. I am also quite taken with Queensland and might like it live there when I am older, but it doesn't have the work opportunities for me at the moment. In your shoes I would definitely give it another go somewhere else.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. I am very grateful.

I'm pretty sure I'm not homesick as previous to our move here, I travelled with my husband and moved around for about 6 years.

I think it's probably the geographic location that is the main issue, and also feeling there is not masses to do. Anything we do choose to do, the other thousands of perth people are doing too, so it's over crowded, and spoiling the enjoyment of the whole thing!

I think we will need to find out more about Melbourne areas, to try and pin point where we would like to live.

Donna x

WA is great for a holiday but nearly everything going on in Australia is on the East Coast. WA persons are very different than east coasters, and that was bleedingly obvious meeting them en masse in 1970 on joining the military. "west is best" every second becomes tiresome very quickly with a chip on the shoulder bigger than Ayres Rock!

I know - it's giving me backache lol

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. I am very grateful.

I'm pretty sure I'm not homesick as previous to our move here, I travelled with my husband and moved around for about 6 years.

I think it's probably the geographic location that is the main issue, and also feeling there is not masses to do. Anything we do choose to do, the other thousands of perth people are doing too, so it's over crowded, and spoiling the enjoyment of the whole thing!

I think we will need to find out more about Melbourne areas, to try and pin point where we would like to live.

Donna x

Good luck with your research, it's a move we are thinking of making to. 2.5 years in Perth so far but for us (29&30) we think either Melbourne or Sydney will be better for our lifestyle & careers.

Hi Donna,

We have not long come back from perth but only on a reccie and fell in love with the place only to be told when we got back that hubby's job had come off the Skills List there and our other options were Melbourne or SA we have decided on SA and then moving back to WA if and when we can!!! And also if we feel the need to, but my way of looking at it is there is something for everyone in Australia so many different places to go and try first before I ever move back to the UK I am 46, you are only very young, just remember everything you went through to get to Oz in the first place!!!

We are jumping through hoops and over hurdles just to get there and I dont really care what part of it we end up in, we just want to start living our life again because at the moment we feel our life is on hold and has been for the last 18 months or so!!

Good luck with whatever you choose but as they say Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained!!

Bal.

Hi Donna,

We have not long come back from perth but only on a reccie and fell in love with the place only to be told when we got back that hubby's job had come off the Skills List there and our other options were Melbourne or SA we have decided on SA and then moving back to WA if and when we can!!! And also if we feel the need to, but my way of looking at it is there is something for everyone in Australia so many different places to go and try first before I ever move back to the UK I am 46, you are only very young, just remember everything you went through to get to Oz in the first place!!!

We are jumping through hoops and over hurdles just to get there and I dont really care what part of it we end up in, we just want to start living our life again because at the moment we feel our life is on hold and has been for the last 18 months or so!!

Good luck with whatever you choose but as they say Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained!!

Bal.

Thanks for the reply. It's weird as getting here took over my life for about 18 months! And now I am feeling so unsure where we are going with our life!

Keep trying to say its an adventure that we have been on, and lucky to have been able to try out Perth.

We have a house rented till August, so gonna enjoy the summer and then make some plans.

Donna x

Thats what I keep saying to my children too, we've done WA so lets go and explore SA now and then we can decide where we would like to be, but may not be able to do anything for the first 2 years until we get out PR!!

Life on hold 18 months and still on hold yet!! lol, good luck with everything Bal x

Guest Guest 47403
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Donna x

Can't offer you any advice but just wish you all the best and good on you for trying another state, to many give up and head back the the UK to soon.

If you are looking for places to live in Melbourne, I would suggest you look at two areas, one the Mornington Peninsula which is great and point cook both areas are great for young families and have a lot to offer, depending on where the work is they are about 30-45 mins from the city and the rental house prices are reasonable. I have lived in Melbourne for 23 years so I know a bit about the different areas

If you are looking for places to live in Melbourne, I would suggest you look at two areas, one the Mornington Peninsula which is great and point cook both areas are great for young families and have a lot to offer, depending on where the work is they are about 30-45 mins from the city and the rental house prices are reasonable. I have lived in Melbourne for 23 years so I know a bit about the different areas

Thanks you for listing a few places. It feels so alien looking at another city with that total lost unfamiliar look!

Quite a worry when it's big, and has so many places to choose!

Having a look at the houses in both places!

Donna x

Archived