England's young adults trail world in literacy and maths.

Guest Guest 47403

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Ropey HOFF
I'm not surprised. A lot of my friends (not that I judge them it's just something I noticed) can't spell a lot of simple things properly. Always see it on facebook too.

Innit? Lol

I'm not surprised. A lot of my friends (not that I judge them it's just something I noticed) can't spell a lot of simple things properly. Always see it on facebook too.

You should suggest they all use chrome - it comes with a spell checker. I would be lost without it.

You can't just blame circumstances although they are probably a contributing factor. I wonder are generally things worse than when I started school shortly after the war in 1949? Your back ground can of course hold you back, but just to be controversial for some the old grammar school system did help disadvantaged pupils, although I can't speak about whether the secondary modern schools were a good thing or not as I have no knowledge of them.

You could say I had a disadvantaged back ground. 5 primary schools before age 10, including Germany, broken home, (not asking for comments just stating the truth) no father after age 8, mother working full time, and seriously no frills let alone books. So you could say the odds were stacked against me.

Passed 11+ went to Tiffin Girls school, top grammar school, can't fault the education there, but I didn't do terribly well, left school age 16, but went on to make a success of my life, so perhaps luck played a part.

I am saddened that so many years later, after so much time and money poured into the system, it isn't doing better.

I have no answers, I am basically in favour of the comprehensive system, but having sent ours through the system, we were very concerned

that a few disruptive pupils were allowed to disrupt the education of others, so perhaps a bit more streaming might have helped?

I am out of touch as mine are grown up, but have a 5 year old grandson just starting school in UK, and it seems to me that generally parents seem happy at the primary school level, and then very worried about the senior level.

Hope things improve for every childs' sake, and that we can educate everyone to realise the importance of a good education.

'Tiffin' in Kingston ?

Guest Guest 47403
Does anyone suspect that this study could be politically motivated? Why didn't Wales and Scotland take part?

No, OECD is a worldwide organization which countries feely sign up to, how can it be politically motivated? Who gains politically from the outcome?

I don't really think you can judge people on a forum to be honest, most people know they are making typing errors when they post but just cannot be arsed to change it because it's not really that important.

No I think Levi is pretty spot of. People think that "should of" instead of "should have" is correct from what I've seen and heard. There are quite a few things that seemed to have become acceptable and are just plain wrong. Little things like starting a sentence with "as well" instead of also. I've heard news readers come out with that one and politicians.

They're not typing errors.

Does anyone suspect that this study could be politically motivated? Why didn't Wales and Scotland take part?

Well, I thought maybe their spelling and grammar was better, and they didn't want to be included to make the UK as a whole look better. Just show England on it's own how bad it's doing :laugh:

No I think Levi is pretty spot of. People think that "should of" instead of "should have" is correct from what I've seen and heard. There are quite a few things that seemed to have become acceptable and are just plain wrong. Little things like starting a sentence with "as well" instead of also. I've heard news readers come out with that one and politicians.

They're not typing errors.

"pretty spot of" :unsure:

Well, I thought maybe their spelling and grammar was better, and they didn't want to be included to make the UK as a whole look better. Just show England on it's own how bad it's doing :laugh:

Who cares...!! Won't effect anybody in the slightest . Your find a huge proportion of self made millionaires in the uk won't have any qualifications to their name.. We all can't be them but life's not about coming out of school / uni with A's.. Doesn't mean nothing in the long run

I'm sure that was meant to say 'spot on'. Let's not be too pedantic now!

Oh well it I'd Friday so thought I would irritate Paul a tad :cute:

Who cares...!! Won't effect anybody in the slightest . Your find a huge proportion of self made millionaires in the uk won't have any qualifications to their name.. We all can't be them but life's not about coming out of school / uni with A's.. Doesn't mean nothing in the long run

Don't you mean "doesn't mean anything in the long run"? :policeman:

You don't really get me... I was just giving a theory to newjez. It's not my personal opinion. I think England should be doing better though if we are bottom of the list!

Going to university won't necessarily help you in the long run but it can never be a bad thing. Even if you didn't need good grades for the job you want or are doing it shows you're a hard worker.

You don't really get me... I was just giving a theory to newjez. It's not my personal opinion. I think England should be doing better though if we are bottom of the list!

Going to university won't necessarily help you in the long run but it can never be a bad thing. Even if you didn't need good grades for the job you want or are doing it shows you're a hard worker.

Sorry brit but how does going to university show you are a hard worker, a lot of people go there to doss about get pissed and generally do sod all for a couple of years.

Now that is a typing error. Thanks for pointing it out, should have proof read it eh, especially on a thread like this.:laugh:

Just having a laugh :laugh:

Ask my friend that's just done a psychology degree and is now doing her masters....she has no social life! Some degrees must be easier than others but like I say if you've put the effort in and come out with top grades then it'd show on your CV. I hope so anyway. A lot of people i've known have been to uni, yes got drunk once or twice a week but usually they are studying hard too.

Archived