Work notice periods

samlee1985

Hi guys,

Just trying to bounce some ideas off you. I’ve booked my flight for the 1st Jan and only have to give 1 months notice at work. However my director is a nice guy and my departure will look quite bad to our clients. In an ideal world, I would give them a full 2 months notice to give them a chance to hire and for me to train my replacement. However I don’t want to give the company the opportunity to put me on notice first (as technically its only one month either side).

Just wondering what others have done...Have you looked out for number 1 or given more notice than required in good faith?

I should think they would appreciate the two months notice. They are not going to be able to get rid of you any sooner than you want even if they wanted to, they can't fire you for handing in your notice and if they want t recruit a replacement whilst you are still there they can't make you redundant either (although in fact maybe that would be a bonus?)

I should think they would appreciate the two months notice. They are not going to be able to get rid of you any sooner than you want even if they wanted to, they can't fire you for handing in your notice and if they want t recruit a replacement whilst you are still there they can't make you redundant either (although in fact maybe that would be a bonus?)

The OP has already stated that they may give him 1 months notice to leave, therefore he'd be out of work for a month. So yes, it seems they can get rid of him sooner.

The OP has already stated that they may give him 1 months notice to leave, therefore he'd be out of work for a month. So yes, it seems they can get rid of him sooner.

Unless OP is a contractor, it is not possible to just give one months notice for no reason. There are employment laws in UK, sorry did you read my post, I thought I covered this.

Unless OP is a contractor, it is not possible to just give one months notice for no reason. There are employment laws in UK, sorry did you read my post, I thought I covered this.

Which his employer may well flout if they feel like it when the OP tell them he's off to the other side of the world. Hardly likely to take them to an employment tribunal is he. I'd love to live in a world where everyone sticks to the rules and does the "right" thing. Unfortunately that world is cloud cuckoo land.

To the OP, only you know what your employer is likely to do, we only know what you have told us, if there is any chance your employer will stiff you then look after your own interests first.

Which his employer may well flout if they feel like it when the OP tell them he's off to the other side of the world. Hardly likely to take them to an employment tribunal is he. I'd love to live in a world where everyone sticks to the rules and does the "right" thing. Unfortunately that world is cloud cuckoo land.

To the OP, only you know what your employer is likely to do, we only know what you have told us, if there is any chance your employer will stiff you then look after your own interests first.

Yes lots of people take Employers to Tribunals from overseas Australia included.

Both mine and my husbands bosses new for ages that we were going to be moving to Australia. I told my boss before I even applied for a visa. My OH told his a fair few months before we actually left as he wanted to change roles to give himself more chance to get a job once we got here. Both of us though worked for large companies and nothing was ever going to happen until we had set dates and formally handed our notice in to HR. An informal chat sounds like a good idea to me.

As a teacher I had to give a half terms notice.

I gave a term and a half to enable the school to a good candidate when I left.

I just gave a finishing date in the future on my resignation letter.

As a government institution I couldn't be sacked earlier than that unless I had done something very stupid and illegal. Which didn't happen.

Only you know whether it is a risk or not.

I have just given two months notice. Contractually it is one however I wanted to give them as much as possible. You're better not burning any bridges if at all possible, you never know when you'll be back or need a reference!

Archived