Am I mad to want to return to the UK?

grizzly111

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was born and raised happily in the UK for the first 15 years of my life when my parents decided to migrate to Oz. Never wanted to leave UK but had no say in the matter of course. Did year 12 in Oz, went to uni, graduated. Worked for 10 years in well paid jobs. Just been made redundant from a position I held for 7 years which has made me reflect on my current life etc. Other half here has just started a business.

I have discovered that in Australia:

1. Things are overpriced.

2. People are generally rude, self-centred although pretend to be friendly.

3. They don't like foreigners, although they pretend they do.

4. Service is some of the poorest in the world.

5. Lack of culture and history.

7. Small town mentality & tall poppy syndrome is rife here!

6. Scenery is dull.

I miss the greenery of the UK - the parks and countryside. Over here all you see are eucalyptus trees and various other scraggly native flora. Was thinking of returning and living in a larger country town in the South of England.

BUT

I have heard the UK has changed dramatically - lots of dodgy immigrants, no jobs, poor economy etc. Am I mad to want to return? My other half doesn't mind even though she has a business here as she can see that I am not happy in my self living in Australia.

I am thinking this is a wind-up but if you are serious you should go immediately.

Hey,

Just read the OP and comments since and for what its worth I say go for it.

Only thing worse than making a mistake is living with regret.

We have just done the opposite move. We (myself 30, my wife 30 and our 2 small boys 4 and 1) emigrated to the gold coast 3 months ago and I know its very early days but I don't see it as a forever move yet.

We lived in Suffolk, near Cambridge, beautiful part of the UK and world. Countryside, friendly villages, history, and still only 1 hour ish from London (my old work)...but its not until I came here that I realised how small and accessible places are in the UK.

Our Australia bug came during our years working holiday visa in 2008 (pre children) and we always said it would be a great place to bring up kids...and it is/will be.

We are going to stick if for 3 years (always said that right from the off) and then evaluate. We find it easier to focus on shorter time frames rather then we are going to australia forever....forever is a long time!

Apologies if Im going on.

I would say that if you can/want to go for a year or 2, that might be enough of a fix and then you can return to Australia and carry on.

I personally think 2 years is best and after 1 year everything is a novelty. For me, born 1 week before xmas, having a hot birthday this year in Australia will be a great novelty......but you cant really base life changing decisions on novelty...cos is will wear off...hence giving it 2 years to weigh things up.

Australia is different to UK and UK different to Aus but different doesnt mean bad, i personally I think its like comparing a car to a bike.....both offer the same outcome but offer a very different experience/ride.

From our experience UK will more than likely offer less wages than Aus but cost of living is less, especially the initial set up cost.

Taking $15k to UK £10k will set you up nicely in a rental home, a nice car and a months money to live on until you get your first pay check...but $15K here didnt last us anytime and we only have a holden astra, nothing wrong with it..but only a holden astra.

Anyway, enough rambling and dribilling on from me....

Whatever decision you make will be the right one at the time....better to have regrets (that in your case can easily be corrected) than what ifs...

All the best

Dan

Hi,

Grizzly, I would encourage you to give living in the UK a go. I was born and brought up in London. I have a British father and Australian mum so have always had dual citizenship. In 2005 I had had enough of living in London. I was earning 23000 pounds a year - not enough to live comfortably in London due to the high cost of living especially housing. I spent a year travelling around Oz, doing the Big Lap. I intended to go back to the UK as I have always preferred it, on balance, to Australia. However I decided to have a go getting a job in mining. It was a bit of a battle to get in but I am now a FIFO worker in the Pilbara living down in Perth (my mothers home town incidentally). High mining wages have allowed me a lifestyle I could not dream of in the UK and more importantly a high level of financial security and freedom for the first time. In London I felt like the little kid with my face pressed to the glass on the outside of the shop window the whole time, seeing all the lovely things only other people with more money could enjoy.

Both countries have pros and cons. Australia has this amazing wide open, rugged environment while the UK can feel very crowded and claustrophobic. On the other hand Australia is backwards, boring and isolated in comparison to how intense life is in the UK. In London at least you feel like you are living at the centre of the universe.

Being a Londoner means I have never found Australia that expensive as I am used to a very high cost of living. However I wouldn't want to live in WA if I wasn't working in a well paid area like mining. I think where to settle depends on your skills and earning power in each country. For me the UK would be a real struggle. As a rule of thumb I would say blue collar workers do better in Oz and professionals do better in the UK. Especially if you can find a good job outside of London and the South East of England. None of my friends live in London anymore as they cannot afford family size houses there. They live in places with really high standards of living - better schools, more reasonable property prices and less crowding - Aberdeen, Hertfordshire, Warwickshire, Bristol and Exeter for example.

As you are a health professional you would earn less money in the UK I would imagine as you would most likely be employed by the NHS and subject to wage freezes etc. On the other hand you can probably choose to live anywhere in the UK.

If you value history, culture, beautiful countryside, pubs, restaurants, easy day trips/short holidays, hiking, fantastic choice when shopping then the UK is for you. However be aware that British people are very cliquey compared to much more open Australians. People are also often much more stressed, aggressive, competitive, snobbish and assertive in the UK in my experience. The UK is grossly overcrowded in many areas and that means stress, traffic etc.

Overall I would recommend moving to the UK to give life there a go. It will be a great adventure with lots of new things to try and enjoy. I love the UK but I am very happy to have made the move to Perth to experience all the amazing things that Australia has to offer eg $250 rtn flights to Bali! Gold prospecting. Tasmania!!! One day I'll probably return to the UK maybe, but if I do I will miss many, many things about this wonderful country.

Hi,

Grizzly, I would encourage you to give living in the UK a go. I was born and brought up in London. I have a British father and Australian mum so have always had dual citizenship. In 2005 I had had enough of living in London. I was earning 23000 pounds a year - not enough to live comfortably in London due to the high cost of living especially housing. I spent a year travelling around Oz, doing the Big Lap. I intended to go back to the UK as I have always preferred it, on balance, to Australia. However I decided to have a go getting a job in mining. It was a bit of a battle to get in but I am now a FIFO worker in the Pilbara living down in Perth (my mothers home town incidentally). High mining wages have allowed me a lifestyle I could not dream of in the UK and more importantly a high level of financial security and freedom for the first time. In London I felt like the little kid with my face pressed to the glass on the outside of the shop window the whole time, seeing all the lovely things only other people with more money could enjoy.

Both countries have pros and cons. Australia has this amazing wide open, rugged environment while the UK can feel very crowded and claustrophobic. On the other hand Australia is backwards, boring and isolated in comparison to how intense life is in the UK. In London at least you feel like you are living at the centre of the universe.

Being a Londoner means I have never found Australia that expensive as I am used to a very high cost of living. However I wouldn't want to live in WA if I wasn't working in a well paid area like mining. I think where to settle depends on your skills and earning power in each country. For me the UK would be a real struggle. As a rule of thumb I would say blue collar workers do better in Oz and professionals do better in the UK. Especially if you can find a good job outside of London and the South East of England. None of my friends live in London anymore as they cannot afford family size houses there. They live in places with really high standards of living - better schools, more reasonable property prices and less crowding - Aberdeen, Hertfordshire, Warwickshire, Bristol and Exeter for example.

As you are a health professional you would earn less money in the UK I would imagine as you would most likely be employed by the NHS and subject to wage freezes etc. On the other hand you can probably choose to live anywhere in the UK.

If you value history, culture, beautiful countryside, pubs, restaurants, easy day trips/short holidays, hiking, fantastic choice when shopping then the UK is for you. However be aware that British people are very cliquey compared to much more open Australians. People are also often much more stressed, aggressive, competitive, snobbish and assertive in the UK in my experience. The UK is grossly overcrowded in many areas and that means stress, traffic etc.

Overall I would recommend moving to the UK to give life there a go. It will be a great adventure with lots of new things to try and enjoy. I love the UK but I am very happy to have made the move to Perth to experience all the amazing things that Australia has to offer eg $250 rtn flights to Bali! Gold prospecting. Tasmania!!! One day I'll probably return to the UK maybe, but if I do I will miss many, many things about this wonderful country.

great post

I thought I was the only person who felt like this! I emigrated with my parents to Oz at the age of 17 very reluctantly and like you I never wanted to leave the UK. I totally agree with all the points you have stated about Australia and after a recent holiday to the UK I am 100% certain that I should have stayed there. It is a great place and offers more of the things that interest me. Here in Oz, unless you love the beach, surfing and fishing then there is very little else to do. Aussies are full of themselves and think Australia is the best country in the world - it may have been the land of milk and honey way back when but these days they are miles behind other western countries in many areas. They could take a leaf out of the UK's book to be honest. I wish my husband felt the same as me but he emigrated here at a very young age and knows nothing else. All I can do is take holidays over there as often as possible I guess.

its overcrowded ...weathers poor ( very mild at the moment though ) ...some of the inner cities are dangerous places ...too many immigrants ,,,,but overall what a place ....what nation on earth could have 60 million people living on an island the size of a postage stamp in relative harmony ....fantastic countryside ....the buzz ....london ...europe ......and an economy thats limping into growth , bearing in mind the population has grown 10% in the blink of an eye ......its the place to get old in , because when you are knackered , it wont cost an arm and a leg to look after, ....could you do that in the U.S ?.......thats it iam off to bourton on the water ..

• 2 weeks later...
Was born and raised happily in the UK for the first 15 years of my life when my parents decided to migrate to Oz. Never wanted to leave UK but had no say in the matter of course. Did year 12 in Oz, went to uni, graduated. Worked for 10 years in well paid jobs. Just been made redundant from a position I held for 7 years which has made me reflect on my current life etc. Other half here has just started a business.

I have discovered that in Australia:

6. Scenery is dull.

I miss the greenery of the UK - the parks and countryside. Over here all you see are eucalyptus trees and various other scraggly native flora. Was thinking of returning and living in a larger country town in the South of England.

BUT

I have heard the UK has changed dramatically - lots of dodgy immigrants, no jobs, poor economy etc. Am I mad to want to return? My other half doesn't mind even though she has a business here as she can see that I am not happy in my self living in Australia.

I think the difficulty is when you move from somewhere when you were young and life was good and I suppose you had no responsibilities it is difficult to judge it clearly. I was raised poor in a manky town on a council estate with absolutely no money...however...I used to look at pictures of such council estates on TV and wish I was there even though I lived in a beautiful big house. I do live in the UK now, I don't live in that town. The UK can def be good, don't let people tell you it's not, I am happy here and coming home has been the best decision I've made.

I am Australian born and my husband is British ... Lived in the UK for over three years...missed my family and we moved here (big sacrifice for my hubby as he's a proud Brit).. But I never really wanted to move back, the pull of my family was too great and I do (privately) feel angry that my family(esp my mother) used the "guilt" move on me.... And still do... Both parents are elderly and mother is not very well at all.... If I could resist my family and we had the money, we'd move back to the UK in a flash... The weather here (summer) is horrendous... The heat is unbearable.... It's true what you say...there's no sense of history here...understandable as it's only a young country... But it has no charm (in my eyes)... It takes forever to get from a to b.... You can't go for "walks" as it's too hot and humid and the "countryside" is harsh and unappealing... To each their own I say, but give me the UK over Australia any day...

I agree with you totally about all you listed

6. Scenery is dull.

its very depressing at times they are so narrow minded, all i seem to see is that the aussies want to do is drink any excuss for a piss up.

if you want to go back to the uk then go for a working holiday for 12 months to see if its what you really want then make you mind up.

I agree with you totally about all you listed

6. Scenery is dull.

its very depressing at times they are so narrow minded, all i seem to see is that the aussies want to do is drink any excuss for a piss up.

if you want to go back to the uk then go for a working holiday for 12 months to see if its what you really want then make you mind up.

1. I really don't find this apart from when I was spending Pounds

2. Maybe they are friendly up here in QLD?

3. They seem to get on ok with me and i'm a foreigner

4. I haven't noticed any difference

5. Surely you would know there isn't the wealth of history before you arrive. What do you define as the culture lacking?

6. Not around here it isn't

Along with most of the other respondents, I suggest you go for the change. I'm from London which I think is the best city in the world. There's always been a lot of immigrants. It's one of the things that makes Britain great. After a generation or quicker, they're not immigrants anymore, they're Brits. I've a feeling that the Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Vikings and Normans were all considered dodgy immigrants in their time! There have also always been dodgy people around. This is not unique to Britain. They are found elsewhere, including Australia. Britain has good police force to deal with them - far more community spirited police than those I've met here who seem to be yearning to be living in gangland Miami or somewhere and are very aggressive and insensitive. You've hit the nail on head (sad to say) with some of the items you've listed about Australia. Many parts of Australia are quite lovely scenically (not too grey and dusty) but it's a bit like how youth is wasted on the young... The Australian climate and scenery is...oh well. Also, having lived here you would now that the idea that Australia is always lovely and warm a total myth. Many parts of Australia also have long, cold and bleak winters, and without the saving grace of centrally heated homes to make them comfortable.. Personally (among other things) I miss British humour and the ability Brits seem to have to laugh at themselves. Go foward to Britain and have a great time, I say :laugh:

Hi Grizzly111

You are definatly not mad.

I hear all the point s you raised and agree with them all. As an english born person at heart i believe you will miss these things that we all know as English citizens and take as normal ie green feilds, etc

We are from the southwest and are leaving Oz to head back there to live next year after five and a half years On our last visit the UK in general was growing slowly but with stability.

We also tried the relocat to different part of Oz, still the same mindset, nothing different but just cost us a bit.!!

Our part of the world namely North Devon and Exeter is booming , we have many freinds and colleagues in business and they are busier now than for many years. So its not all Doom as we may be led to beleive by the media etc. Even during the height of the GFC a sparkie freind had his best year ever but that does not count for all in business i know. Location just depends on your preferences and possible contacts, freinds ,to start with.

I am sure you and your partner could suceed in any venture you put your mind to, just get a plan.

All the best in your journey.

I am Australian born and my husband is British ... Lived in the UK for over three years...missed my family and we moved here (big sacrifice for my hubby as he's a proud Brit).. But I never really wanted to move back, the pull of my family was too great and I do (privately) feel angry that my family(esp my mother) used the "guilt" move on me.... And still do... Both parents are elderly and mother is not very well at all.... If I could resist my family and we had the money, we'd move back to the UK in a flash... The weather here (summer) is horrendous... The heat is unbearable.... It's true what you say...there's no sense of history here...understandable as it's only a young country... But it has no charm (in my eyes)... It takes forever to get from a to b.... You can't go for "walks" as it's too hot and humid and the "countryside" is harsh and unappealing... To each their own I say, but give me the UK over Australia any day...

So sorry to hear how you are feeling. I was so surprised to find an Australian with the same opinion as those here complaining like myself about all that is Australian. It's never a good idea to do anything that is lead by guilt, but this is something you learn along the way. You must be in the fortunate position of having old friends to connect with again? Unfortunately I am very lonely and although Australians speak the same language, we don't seem to connect. After trying for some time now to get to know the natives I have found that the most friendly females to be Chinese. We have major language difficulties but at least they try. After living here for two years now, I feel that I can say that in my endless task of trying to get to know people that Australians talk AT me. There is no natural merging or too and fro that conversations normally have.

Grizzly is oh so right... my own list of what makes me unhappy about life here could be quite long, but I suppose the number one spot would be as I mentioned above. Australians are not friendly, only in a very superficial way. My other thought is that I find it all to be a bit like 'Stepford Wives'.

Before anyone suggests I better up and return to the UK...that's the plan. Not sure how I'll make it through the next three years.

wow, that's funny, I have a similar background to yourself and returned 'home' to the UK for 3 years and recently returned back to Australia.

I disagree with you however, England is very easy to romanticise about but is nothing more than an over populated country with its inhabitants in denial as to how unhappy they are and all the minorities seem to have the power. Go to Manchester, Bristol, Liverpool, Newcastle or Cornwall, you'll get an appreciation as to how attractive England is to live. London is a great city, not the greatest in my opinion, but it is an international city and doesn't have much english'ness these days.

The only thing I miss about the UK is the ability to travel to other parts of Europe, that's all. But then again, we have some of the best parts of asia at our doorstep.

As for culture, depends what you want. Art, museums, castles et al sure, that is the place to be but for food and geographic diversity, Australia is the place to be. I was shocked as to how bad English food is, it lives up to its reputation and is generally awful.

I guess what I noticed in the UK is how fresh and young Australia is, it really is a great country. I must disagree with your view on Australian people, they are way more friendly than the average London'er, but that is obviously based on your experiences.

If I were you, i'd go over there because you obviously long for it but I think you will realise that Australia is where you'd want to be long term. If you left a thousand free aussie passports at Liverpool St station, they'd be taken within half an hour by English people wanting to move to Australia!

wow, that's funny, I have a similar background to yourself and returned 'home' to the UK for 3 years and recently returned back to Australia.

I disagree with you however, England is very easy to romanticise about but is nothing more than an over populated country with its inhabitants in denial as to how unhappy they are and all the minorities seem to have the power. Go to Manchester, Bristol, Liverpool, Newcastle or Cornwall, you'll get an appreciation as to how attractive England is to live. London is a great city, not the greatest in my opinion, but it is an international city and doesn't have much english'ness these days.

The only thing I miss about the UK is the ability to travel to other parts of Europe, that's all. But then again, we have some of the best parts of asia at our doorstep.

As for culture, depends what you want. Art, museums, castles et al sure, that is the place to be but for food and geographic diversity, Australia is the place to be. I was shocked as to how bad English food is, it lives up to its reputation and is generally awful.

I guess what I noticed in the UK is how fresh and young Australia is, it really is a great country. I must disagree with your view on Australian people, they are way more friendly than the average London'er, but that is obviously based on your experiences.

If I were you, i'd go over there because you obviously long for it but I think you will realise that Australia is where you'd want to be long term. If you left a thousand free aussie passports at Liverpool St station, they'd be taken within half an hour by English people wanting to move to Australia!

Wow.....in denial! I have no problem with you having a different opinion, but as some one happy to live in the UK I do object to you making assumptions about how I feel, why I feel it, and whether I'm right to feel it :swoon:. Tx

I go back every now and then to see family and friends. I fly direct to provincial cities and head west to green scenery and market towns

I used to fly into LHR, then train via Euston, but now I give it a miss. London looks more and more like a medieval toilet. I cannot understand anyone wanting to return there from Aus, save for seeing family and friends. Third world tube rolling stock, litter, smells, congestion, crowds, crime and rip off prices. I hear property prices are on the rise again, get mortgaged to the hilt for a shoebox.

I suppose you have to see it to be reminded how bad it is. :arghh:

I go back every now and then to see family and friends. I fly direct to provincial cities and head west to green scenery and market towns

I used to fly into LHR, then train via Euston, but now I give it a miss. London looks more and more like a medieval toilet. I cannot understand anyone wanting to return there from Aus, save for seeing family and friends. Third world tube rolling stock, litter, smells, congestion, crowds, crime and rip off prices. I hear property prices are on the rise again, get mortgaged to the hilt for a shoebox.

I suppose you have to see it to be reminded how bad it is. :arghh:

Look for all the bad things and you will find them, look for all the good things you will find them too.

Heathrow is only a staging post for the vast majority of people, Heathrow is not London! you can head directly away from Heathrow by road in three directions and not really touch London. Why would you fly to Manchester if you live in say Reading? maybe that's why people go to Heathrow.

Archived