Bull Creek, Leeming and surrounds. Views please.....

Ammosaph

Hi Everyone

Me and my OH moved over to WA from the South of England about 6 weeks ago. We initially thought we'd like to live near the sea but stumbled accross Bull Creek (and neighbouring Leeming) last weekend and, for the first time, I'm now considering settling a little in-land. Reason being it seemed so friendly and welcoming....

SOR is a better location for us for OH work and I'm ok provided I can get a train to CBD - which is only 15mins from Bull Creek which is fab.

I also like that it is fairly close to Freo (c 20 mins in the car) and Coogee Beach isn't too far away, which I've heard lots of good things about. There seems to be a decent enough local shopping centre too.

I'm 36, OH is 42, we have no kids but once we're settled would like to start a family.

So, lets have it, please give me all your thoughts/opinions/views (be they positive or negative) about potentially settling in this area. I need as much intel as I can get!

I look forward to hearing from you all.

I don't think you can go wrong with the areas mentioned.

there is everything you need close at hand. A short drive to the Coogee beach, Port Coogee beach is also good, v small man made beach but perfect for younger kids. South beach if you have a dog or Woodmans point if you fish or just fancy a stroll.

Garden city for shopping, Fremantle for a day or night out, the Cappacino strip being good for having a late dinner.

The water park within easy drive, good for kids and adults alike. A easy drive to Mandurah and the Margaret River if you want to escape and chill.

Melville council is good for putting on lots of free kids and adults activities and concerts etc, but within easy reach of things being put on by Cockburn aswell, also an alternative shopping area.

Im a suburb or two away from the areas you mention, but under the same council and have to say you get very little in the way of any trouble or hear of any bad things. I totally love the area.

good luck

Thank you fifi and ali - I really appreciate the feedback. I got a really good vibe when I was there but just needed some other viewpoints.

One thing I didn't spot when I was there was a local pub. Perhaps somewhere to go on a Sunday afternoon that's walking distance from home. Are there any? Or is it a case of hoping on a bus or a train and heading to the City or Freo?

Thanks

I wouldn't recommend taking the Armadale line train at night because there can be troublesome types but saying that every area will have it pros and cons and over all I think closer you are to Freo the better!

Bullcreek isn't on the Armadale line. It's on the Mandurah line. But yes, try and keep to the West of Ferndale etc.

Bullcreek was always expensive, as it had good schools (catchment areas). So your money didn't go as far, but the area was nicer. When we were buying, we looked at a few places, but the houses seemed older and very 70/80's decor and style.

If you go the other side of Leech, it's very expensive.

We have friends in that area (Alfred Cove / Willagee), and we stayed in Bibra Lake for a while. Was out for beers in Applecross on Saturday too.

Good butchers at Melville that we still use now.

Bullcreek isn't on the Armadale line. It's on the Mandurah line. But yes, try and keep to the West of Ferndale etc.

Bullcreek was always expensive, as it had good schools (catchment areas). So your money didn't go as far, but the area was nicer. When we were buying, we looked at a few places, but the houses seemed older and very 70/80's decor and style.

We have friends in that area (Alfred Cove / Willagee), and we stayed in Bibra Lake for a while. Was out for beers in Applecross on Saturday too.

I'm a bit spoiled for choice re good butchers in the area: Melville Heights on Marmion, Scarfos on Leach or Love Me Tender on Carrington all ace depending if I go left, right or straight across when coming out of the house.

Did you go to Bad Apples bar in Applcross Bibbs......best cocktails I've found in Perth so far:wink:

Thank you fifi and ali - I really appreciate the feedback. I got a really good vibe when I was there but just needed some other viewpoints.

One thing I didn't spot when I was there was a local pub. Perhaps somewhere to go on a Sunday afternoon that's walking distance from home. Are there any? Or is it a case of hoping on a bus or a train and heading to the City or Freo?

Thanks

Sorry don't know what the bar/pub situation is in Bull Creek. Public transport to Freo or the city is excellent though

I'm a bit spoiled for choice re good butchers in the area: Melville Heights on Marmion, Scarfos on Leach or Love Me Tender on Carrington all ace depending if I go left, right or straight across when coming out of the house.

Did you go to Bad Apples bar in Applcross Bibbs......best cocktails I've found in Perth so far:wink:

We find Jamies Italian excellent for cocktails.

Best butchers I think is Boatshed. Expensive, but very good.

Thanks

Bull Creek has just opened a little tavern near the shops on south street - usually busy, we like Freo, but also close to home is the Burrendah in Willetton (depending on where you end up).

Yep aware of that sorry I was just making the point for the newbie :)

We have lived in Leeming for 3.5 years and totally love it - and have just built a house in Leeming too, we couldn't imagine living anywhere else! Ideal for all amenities; great local shops, and 20 minutes to everywhere else, CBD, beach, hills etc. Very family friendly area too - you will not go wrong with this suburb :-)

• 4 weeks later...
Went for a Vietnamese at Vu's, and then down to Raffles.

Was after the Freo game and we got on the wrong train to Perth from Subi (it doesn't stop at Perth).

How funny. We were at Vu's and Raffles last week as well. We were meeting up with friends who had flown over from Sydney.

Our search area was Bibra Lake, Attadale, Bicton, Manning, Shelley, Rossmoyne, Willetton.

We have applied for a rental in Willetton. This was the closest we could get to the river within our budget and taste. We like the idea of being close to Bull Creek station for easy access into the CBD for me and there are six shopping centres within easy reach. Melville Plaza is very good for shops. We have seen Scarfos, but not been in yet.

Freo is 20 mins, 8 mins to the CBD with no traffic.

I agree if you decide on expensive areas, but prepared for the 70's décor inside. We have kept our budget to 600 a week as we do not want to overstretch ourselves until we know the true cost of our living expenses. We have also negotiated a six month lease rather than a 12 month to give us more flexibility and not having a "break lease" scenario in the future.

Good Luck.

How funny. We were at Vu's and Raffles last week as well. We were meeting up with friends who had flown over from Sydney.

Our search area was Bibra Lake, Attadale, Bicton, Manning, Shelley, Rossmoyne, Willetton.

We have applied for a rental in Willetton. This was the closest we could get to the river within our budget and taste. We like the idea of being close to Bull Creek station for easy access into the CBD for me and there are six shopping centres within easy reach. Melville Plaza is very good for shops. We have seen Scarfos, but not been in yet.

Freo is 20 mins, 8 mins to the CBD with no traffic.

I agree if you decide on expensive areas, but prepared for the 70's décor inside. We have kept our budget to 600 a week as we do not want to overstretch ourselves until we know the true cost of our living expenses. We have also negotiated a six month lease rather than a 12 month to give us more flexibility and not having a "break lease" scenario in the future.

Good Luck.

We stayed with friends in Bibra Lake when we first arrived. Just off Phoenix Road.

Friends live in Alfred Cove. Got our Toyota from Melville. Still visit Scarfo's occasionally.

Almost bought an apartment in Attadale around 2005. On the corner of Canning and Northlake facing the city. I recon it's tripled in price by now.

20 years ago I had family out Ferndale way too.

So I know the area well.

Raffles junction on Canning Highway is ACDCs "Highway to Hell".

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for your posts - I totally forgot to update the thread. We chose Willetton in the end. Well - to be fair - the house chose us. Once we viewed it we knew that was the one for us and it happened to be in Willetton. We move on Monday and can't wait! We've been living with friends and family for over 8 months now, we can't wait to have our own front door and be reunited with our stuff next week when our container is finally unloaded. Yey!!!

Well Done on getting your rental. It can be tough in this area as the schools are supposed to be top notch and this time of year, it can turn fierce, or so we have been told.

We have been here in Willetton nearly four weeks and we just love it. It is a perfect location for us. 6 shopping centres 10 mins in each way. Spud Shed at Jandakot, 7 mins drive. Lovely dog beach at Attadale, 10 mins. Freo 20 mins. Cinema on the doorstep at Southlands. Good train service to the CBD and excellent links to major freeways.