How to solve a problem like my mother-in-law.....

bungeeman

Ship her off to Sydney a week after she arrives! Simples!!

Ok so the last week spent with my over-bearing Mother in-law wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. I survived. And more importantly, so did she.

So in what should have been a week of relaxation as our first break away from work since moving to Oz turned out to be one of the most tiring weeks I have had yet! Aside from stepping out of my everyday work shoes and into those of a bloody tour guide, I was also a designated driver for the majority of the time as, coincidentally, the dates of their visit to us also fitted in nicely with my wife's birthday week. Yes, week.

Aside from her reverting back to her methods of teaching my 23 month old son - she was ok in the scheme of things (and that's as much of a compliment as I'm willing to give).

That said we did revisit some of the things my wife and I did when we first came over together on holiday 4 years ago. Caversham Wildlife Park being the highlight as my son got to molest many kangaroos and very nearly stole a lizard from the hands one of the volunteers hands (I guess it looked tasty to a sub 2 year old?!). He even made friends with a hugely overweight wombat.

The temptation to throw the old lady in with the dingos wasn't as great as I would have anticipated - although it did cross my mind at the time. And as we sat watching the farm show with a true outback stockman cracking his whip, I couldn't help but think of the cat-o-nine-tails on board a pirate ship as being a well thought out punishment.

We did take advantage of the free babysitting service whilst we could, and I treated wifey to a night out at the cinema on her Birthday. I did say free babysitting, however the cost of the cinema more than made up for the saving. $230 later, we had watched the film of my missus' choice. I'm sorry, did you say $230?! Yes, yes I did. And no, I wasn't financing the film in Hollywood. This is the price of a night out at 'Gold Class'. A once in a blue moon occurence I would suggest. But she enjoyed it, as did I, so I don't really mind spending out that once in a while. Maybe. Ouch.

So one week after arriving, the set sail- well flew- over to the eastern states to inflict themselves upon the poor unsuspecting Sydney-siders and Brisbanians(?) for a coupe of weeks. They are driving up to Brizzy from Sydney and have no planned itinery for the way ('Wolf Creek', anyone?).

Then they are heading back to us for the 23rd, which nicely fits in to my plans for my wedding anniversary. If I had any plans. I best get onto that.

How to solve a problem like a hubby unprepared for his wedding anniversary.....??

Watch this space.

Bungee

My hubbie forgot our wedding anniversary this year. I was furious! He got hell for 10 days before he went to sea (and thought he was safe).

He's been away for a while and he thought I would calm down but three weeks into his trip away (after many frosty phonecalls home) he figured that I was not going to let bygones be bygones (I think the phrase, "Forget our anniversary again and I will find myself another husband" probably clarified things for him). Suffice to say, last week a huge bouquet of flowers and two big boxes of luxury chocolates turned up, so I decided to forgive him. I don't think he will forget again. I don't think he would dare!

Men need to be freaked out occasionally to make them realise what is important!

Ok Bungeeman hopefully you have posted slightly tongue in cheek, but as a MIL with a daughter in law from hell there are 2 sides to every story, and I have another who is the absolute opposite and we get on really well.

It's really difficult staying with anyone let alone family and the old saying friends and fish go off after 3 days should be obeyed by everyone. We never stay with our difficult one when we are in the UK, for obvious reasons, thank goodness for the cheap Premier Inn near them, but try to spend plenty of time with them as we want to see as much as possible of our 2 small grandchildren, but daren't outstay our welcome. We bend over backwards to have a good time with them. Treated us all to a week in Wales at a place like centre parks, and you wouldn't believe some of the things we have to put up with, I will only mention that on our last night in UK having not seen them for 10 days we were allowed 10 minutes with the children before they were put to bed, having been given our orders of what time we could come round. Have never been included in bath time or been allowed to read them a bed time story, yes it can hurt being a MIL.

have to add here that we have 2 other children and there is no comparison to the above, and we honestly don't think we are all bad, all our children's friends have always been welcome, and 2 of them who have moved away separately have made a point of catching up with us when revisiting the area recently and we loved seeing them.

So grit your teeth, it's only a visit it's not forever and it really does mean a lot to us to be with our families when we live a long way away, in fact distance is probably a bonus in some cases!!!!!

Might post in a couple of months time as they are visiting us next month for the first time for a family wedding, will be interesting to see how it goes, but we have rented a beachside apt in Mooloolaba for them,so they have a great holiday and we all have our own space, and paid for their tickets, so we honestly aren't all bad.

Not an uncommon scenario that the wife hates the mother in law.

Actually she seems to hate us all apart from I hope my son!!!? So at least I know it's not only me!!!! I really get on well with my other son's partner soon to be DIL, and also my daughter's partner. I think she can't understand our life style, as she has never lived anywhere except Wales and now Bristol, and we have moved all our married life, because of work, so our outlook to life is totally alian to her. I can't remember a single conversation with her over the 15 years they have been together, there is just no connection between her and us, it's just so odd because we can have such a good time with the other 2 and their partners, and we have always made her and her family welcome and tried so hard.

I was only putting the case for MIL's that just possibly it's not always us that are the problem.

Presumably, Bungeeman, your MIL and FIL have spent upwards of £2000 and spent 24 hours on a plane in order to make your life a misery? I think the least you can do is let them have their moneysworth. Considering they have left to inflict themselves on the unsuspecting Sydneysiders and Brisbanians after only a week, it sounds as though she enjoys your company almost as much as you enjoy hers. Perhaps she's hoping you'll be bitten by a funnelweb while she's not around to be blamed for planting one in your shoe.

Btw, if my OH referred to me as 'wifey' I'd be throwing him in with the dingos. You obviously have a very tolerant wife.

Oh dear I think some people have missed the satire within my post here. If you read some of my previous posts here you would no doubt realise that my words here are meant as a lighthearted read and nothing more.

For those that seem to have taken a personal offence to my witterings, you have my humblest and sincerest apoligies that we don't share the same sense of humour. It is unlikely, I'd suggest, that we would share a a pint down the local brew hole- but I guess that's what makes this world all the more interesting to live in.

For those whom have previously read my murmurings and enjoyed them, there will be another post-in-jest towards the end of the month/start of October as the aforementioned parents in law return to us from their road trip- and I start my new job. Tatty bye for now.

Guest Guest26012
Oh dear I think some people have missed the satire within my poat here. If you read some of my previous posts here you would no doubt realise that my words here are meant as a lighthearted read and nothing more.

For those that seem to have taken a personal offence to my witterings, you have my humblest and sincerest apoligies that we don't share the same sense of humour. It is unlikely, I'd suggest, that we would share a a pint down the local brew hole- but I guess that's what makes this world all the more interesting to live in.

For those whom have previously read my murmurings and enjoyed them, there will be another post-in-jest towards the end of the month/start of October as the aforementioned parents in law return to us from their road trip- and I start my new job. Tatty bye for now.

I haven't read your previous posts but I read this today and took it the way you meant it, lightheartedly. I wouldn't apologise to anyone, it was a funny post. Sense of humour transplant needed for some?

Oh dear I think some people have missed the satire within my post here. If you read some of my previous posts here you would no doubt realise that my words here are meant as a lighthearted read and nothing more.

I thought your post was very funny and I do share your sense of humour ... I am looking forward to your next post-in-jest ... and please make it a long , detailed one ...

I liked your post because i found it amusing,just replied in the same vein,tongue in cheek

have you noticed though- it's the women who tend to be a bit sensitive around these subjects.......are all you men with such a ribald, ironic,tongue-in-cheek "sense of humour" still married? (uttered with my tongue firmly in my cheek of course) :tongue:

No,im not,found out she was a tory rat,so binned her off......

Archived