Flights within australia on UK Passport

cronemeister

Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows the rules with regards to flying within australia on a UK Passport.

We've been in Oz for just over a year now (Victoria) and we are looking to fly up to the Gold Coast from Melbourne in a couple of weeks, but have just noticed that our childrens passports expire a week before we want to travel and we won't have time to renew them.

Will we need our passports for interstate flights, or do we just need photo ID ?

Thanks.

I presume it is the same in the UK.

You only need a passport to enter the country from a foreign country.

You don't need a passport to go from London to Liverpool do you ? After all you could have just driven there.

Once you have entered a country legally you are free to travel around as you wish.

While you don't need a passport to fly within Australia - nowadays (with ticketless flights) you do often need to produce photo-id to check in.

Driving licences will suffice for adults who drive, but children often don't have any form of photo-id except a passport.

If that's the case then take their passports.

Thanks for your replies guys, does this just apply to Australian citizens....or is it for everyone ?

I take two domestic flights every week almost without exception and I have not once been asked to provide any form of ID whatsoever. They would not know by looking at me whether I am an Australian citizen or not so it is definitely no different.

Had a strange one a few weeks ago flying from Sydney to Sunshine Coast.

first was asked to put my very small cabin stroller on the scales and then had to put my handbag on as well!! and it was again a small handbag unlike the small suitcases some women carry. Did ask why, but no explanation give. Weird.

I'm appalled at the lack of security, as ex airline staff, but always have my driving license with me, but daughter can't drive so does have her passport with her just in case the rules tighten up. Best to be on the safe side, as above example was unprecedented, having flown more than many people since starting with airlines in the 1960's.

Only been asked once in 8 domestic flights and that was because I had to check in at the desk as booked an exit row, driving licence sorted it.

Normally I scan my Qantas frequent flyer card at the electronic check in post then at the gate and I'm on the plane. Too easy as they say !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Archived