Cervical cancer vaccination.. Is it covered under MEDICARE???

Shugah

:err: Hi folks,

It will be very nice if someone can give some info regarding different types of Vaccination covered under Medicare ? The most important one for Cervical cancer vaccination this type covered? or do we have to arrange our own from private?

Some might find it funny because read about Michael Douglas ( Hollywood Actor) how he battled Throat cancer. Then started reading and then some say that one can catch that with too much Oral S*x hahahahhaha.

So if anyone can help me with this question then awesome.

Cheers.:chatterbox:

"Gardasil was approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration in 2006 for use in females aged 9 to 26, and in boys aged 9 to 15.

In 2007 it was added to the National Immunisation Program and began being provided free to girls aged 12-13.

The catch-up program was designed to ensure that girls who had missed out on the vaccine in the school-based program were still able to get it. After the catch-up program is wound up at the end of June, the focus will revert to immunising each cohort of girls who turn 12-13 each year.

Although approved by the TGA for use in boys, Gardasil has no PBS or immunisation program subsidy for this use.

So the answer is yes we do have to pay for it unless we are in the age group.

A competitor HPV vaccine, Cervarix, is not approved for males but is approved for women aged up to 45."

The vaccine is for HPV, not cervical cancer, as far as I know. Males can get HPV and it can cause throat cancer. In females it can also manifest as cervical cancer. A family member, a woman, was incredibly ill with throat cancer from HPV and has been campaigning and helping other victims since her recovery.

I certainly don't find it funny, Michael Douglas' flippant comments did nothing to help raise awareness of the issues around HPV.

HPV Virus can cause Cervical cancer, so if they can help prevent HPV being spread then both Girls & Boys should be offered the vaccine. I'm pleased the Gardasil vaccine took over as it protects against more strains of the virus than the cervarix vac did.

My eldest was due to have Cervarix in 2008, but I waited until we moved to Sydney in 2009 so she would have Gardasil for this reason.

Archived