Thyroid ...

Love Shoes

After a horrid week of very worrying tests, CT scan, MRI and full bloods it turns out I have thyroid problems, have to have another blood test in the morning especially for thyroid, but my GP has kindly started me on thyroxin .....

i don't know too much about this problem, just curious if anyone can advise .... give me a better insight into how the meds will work ...

Hi - I have hypothyroidism. I've had it for maybe 6 years, I take a tablet every day. They start you on a very small dose i.e. 25 micrograms and they keep testing you till they get it right. I take 100 micrograms daily. The tablets have to be kept in the fridge and taken at least half an hour before food - so I take mine as soon as I get up before I shower. My main symptoms were memory loss and aching legs (so bad I couldn't walk). Anyway, those problems are now gone but I know if my legs start to ache my thyroid is off and I need to get tested or maybe I've forgotten my tablet for a couple of days!

Sorry I don't know the ins and outs of the condition... this is a quick and easy lesson in Thyroxin http://www.yourhormones.info/hormones/thyroxine.aspx

Hope you get sorted soon, good luck xx

Once they get your dose of thyroxine right its no big deal really. I had mine removed and have been on thyroxine for about 20 years. You will probably get tested every 3 months or so till they get the level right then its just a yearly blood test to check if your dose needs to go up or down or stay the same.

It depends if you have an overactive thyroid or an underactive thyroid. My Grans have had it - one overactive and one underactive.

Do you know which one you have?

If OP is getting Thyroxine it is underactive. Over active is a lot harder to treat.

i don't know too much about this problem, just curious if anyone can advise .... give me a better insight into how the meds will work ...

The meds supplement the amount of thyroxine in your body...as your thyroid hormone is not producing enough.

I took it for a while in the 1980s when I had severe chronic fatigue syndrome. No bad side effects that I can remember.

I think the problem is not all that uncommon - especially in women.

A lot of people take Thyroxine, even children! so don't worry, you will be fine. Mine was overactive and as a previous poster said, it can take a while to fix (3.5 yrs in my case). Just think of the meds as replacing what your body can't produce enough of at this time, and you will start to feel better soon.

Hi - I have hypothyroidism. I've had it for maybe 6 years, I take a tablet every day. They start you on a very small dose i.e. 25 micrograms and they keep testing you till they get it right. I take 100 micrograms daily. The tablets have to be kept in the fridge and taken at least half an hour before food - so I take mine as soon as I get up before I shower. My main symptoms were memory loss and aching legs (so bad I couldn't walk). Anyway, those problems are now gone but I know if my legs start to ache my thyroid is off and I need to get tested or maybe I've forgotten my tablet for a couple of days!

Sorry I don't know the ins and outs of the condition... this is a quick and easy lesson in Thyroxin http://www.yourhormones.info/hormones/thyroxine.aspx

Hope you get sorted soon, good luck xx

Thanks for the information ..

Can you remember how long it was before you started feeling normal again after first starting to take the tablets .... My memory has been terrible recently, not so much things that happened years ago, but things that happened like now ..... I have had a terrible tingling sensation (on my left side) fingers ... toes ... and part of my leg since September last year, when I presented at the doctors, and was diagnosed with depression .... my ears are also buzzing but not sure if that is something that is totally different ... I got a cold a bit ago and it came then ..... and I have suddenly started to feel so old and frumpy, always been very youthful, trendy, interested in keeping up with all things modern ... my GP said that the meds will make me feel young again and relieve my symptoms .....

Once they get your dose of thyroxine right its no big deal really. I had mine removed and have been on thyroxine for about 20 years. You will probably get tested every 3 months or so till they get the level right then its just a yearly blood test to check if your dose needs to go up or down or stay the same.

They are starting me on 50 mg (taken my first about an hour ago) have to get my bloods done again this morning, and back in the doctors on Wednesday when he said he will know more, which probably means what you have just said about getting the dosage right ..... I think the GP said bloods every 6 month ....

Yes I assume it is under active, given I am feeling lethargic and CBA most of the time .....

They are starting me on 50 mg (taken my first about an hour ago) have to get my bloods done again this morning, and back in the doctors on Wednesday when he said he will know more, which probably means what you have just said about getting the dosage right ..... I think the GP said bloods every 6 month ....

Yes I assume it is under active, given I am feeling lethargic and CBA most of the time .....

It will definately be underactive, you dont get thyroxine for overactive.

Guest littlesarah

Lack of thyroxine affects mood as well as causing physical symptoms, which is down to its role in regulating other bits of the endocrine system & metabolism. I'm sure you'll feel much better once they get your dose right. Hang in there a while longer and you won't know yourself!

Can you remember how long it was before you started feeling normal again after first starting to take the tablets .... My memory has been terrible recently, not so much things that happened years ago, but things that happened like now ..... I have had a terrible tingling sensation (on my left side) fingers ... toes ... and part of my leg since September last year, when I presented at the doctors, and was diagnosed with depression .... my ears are also buzzing but not sure if that is something that is totally different ... I got a cold a bit ago and it came then ..... and I have suddenly started to feel so old and frumpy, always been very youthful, trendy, interested in keeping up with all things modern ... my GP said that the meds will make me feel young again and relieve my symptoms .....

I'm sorry I can't remember (!) how long it took to feel better - not very long, I think you start to feel a bit better every day. I know how you feel, it's like your get up and go has got up and well and truly buggered off. I felt really miserable and completely frumpy with no interest in anything. But, the meds will work and you'll start to feel human again very soon.

I have been taking Thyroxine for under active thyroid since 1983, currently taking 150 mgs daily, was once up to 200mgs daily.

The symptoms you describe are classic for underactive thyroid. The thyroid gland is the body metabolism controller. When it is under active and not secreting the hormones as it should then you will feel different. Your metabolism does slow down and this is why you need to suppliment your own bodies lack of Thyroid hormone with the Thyroxine. It takes a while for the medication to make a difference. You are started on a low dosage and usually blood tests are done after 6 weeks of starting Thyroxine. Depending on results determines whether to iincrease the dosage, again in small increments. This adjusting and testing goes on till correct levels are attained and then it is simply a matter of a blood test every 12 months to make sure things are ok. The reason for the 6 weeks figure is because It takes time for the Thyroxine to accumulate in the body as it has a daily half life. It is not like taking an aspirin type medication where by the effects are immediate, it does take time to build up and to attain the optimum dosage. It is also important not to take too high a dosage to begin with and to build up slowly as the Thyroid is the controller of your body metabolism and taking too high a dosage straight away is not recommended.

Just remember you will start to feel better just give it time. At least you now know what the issue is and that it is easily dealt with once meds are optimised.

Hope this is of some help and reassurance to you

Rita

I was tested about two years ago, have many of the same symptoms, plus very heavy periods (sorry if tmi!) which is apparently also a sign. The test came back 'abnormal' and the GP got me in to do another blood test which tests for different types of the thyroid hormones (I can't exactly remember what they were, maybe thyroid stimulating hormone, T3 and T4?), but in the week that it took the tests to come back, the GP went on maternity leave and her replacement was really dismissive of me, though the results apparently showed that things were okay (although I am not sure why the first test picked something up in that case). All of my symptoms started a short while after I had our youngest daughter, and apparently it is quite common for women to develop it after they have had a baby.

After a horrid week of very worrying tests, CT scan, MRI and full bloods it turns out I have thyroid problems, have to have another blood test in the morning especially for thyroid, but my GP has kindly started me on thyroxin .....

Hi mate, don't know much about it tbh......sounds like your having a rough time atm, so all I can do for you is wish you all the best and hope the medication works well for you real soon x

Im glad it just turned out to be your thyroid though. You'll probably be on medication forever but as far as i know its just small tablets. Most of my family have it, my mums on the strongest dose. Im waiting on my blood results next week too, we might be able to start a thyroid gang lol.

Must of been a really worrying time for you and all those tests sound horrible x

Im glad it just turned out to be your thyroid though. You'll probably be on medication forever but as far as i know its just small tablets. Most of my family have it, my mums on the strongest dose. Im waiting on my blood results next week too, we might be able to start a thyroid gang lol.

Must of been a really worrying time for you and all those tests sound horrible x

they were, it was the not knowing that was the worse .... yes the tablets are tiny, I am hopeless with tablets, but can manage these, lol.

just curious now how I store them on a trans Atlantic flight .... 13 hours out of the fridge? Hope the aircraft staff will store them and I don't forget them .....

I actually am feeling better already, & amazingly been talking to a few people & read posts on here from others who suffer the same or similar symptoms as I do, I felt as if I cba'd all the time, suddenly went from being an insomniac to dropping off on the sofa, tingling fingers & toes .... which is a classic .... I wonder now if I had it last year when the other GP gave me anti depressants ....

hope your ok, will be thinking of you .... will let you start the thyroid group up, I have maxed out on groups lol .... X x will email you in the week xx

13 hours out of the fridge wont do them any harm so dont worry, just keep them in your handluggage. I dont even bother keeping mine in the fridge, its only a manufacturer's recommendation.

Thanks for clarifying this .... the GP has started me on 25 mg I had bloods done again yesterday, do they look into the bloods now in more depth I.e., for thyroid problems & re adjust my meds .... i assume that why I needed another blood test .... mind though he did have a reading hence the discovery .....

Archived