TRA - Skill Pathway D Affected Tradies - Workplace Assessments

Alan Collett

We are in discussions presently with TAFEs in Australia about workplace assessments being carried out in Australia for certain occupations. In turn this should facilitate an AQF Certificate III qualification (recognised by employers in Australia => increased employment prospects) and a positive skills assessment from Trades Recognition Australia under Skill Pathway E.

We anticipate that the process will involve individuals with trades skills carrying out an initial assessment of their existing competencies while outside Australia. Assuming all (or substantially all) of these competency requirements can be met individuals would then travel to Australia when a practical assessment would be carried out.

Recognising that Australian qualifications are often not the same as UK qualifications any gaps in competencies that are not major would also be dealt with at that time, perhaps requiring an additional 2 or 3 days of tuition prior to the granting of the AQF III.

Costs of this exercise are not yet finalised, but are likely to be significantly less than those being quoted by workplace assessors visiting the UK.

I would be pleased to hear from individuals with one of the following occupations, who would like to receive more information as we progress discussions with the TAFEs:

- Painters and decorators

- Plasterers

- Hairdressers

- Chefs

- Welders

I can be reached by email via alan - at - gomatilda - dot - com

Best regards.

hi alan, i have found a college in melborne who will assess me as a floor finisher. There too will not be a huge fee. There are 23 units and 4 years work experience required to gain a aqf levell 3 in floor finishing, but they can test my recent competence meaning i will not have to do all the units, just get assesed on the job.

They are not a company, they are a registered training specific for floor finshing so seems quite good.

I am waiting for them to get back to me bu8t so far so good and like you say will help my chances of finding work as a aqf level 3 is widely recognised.

jason

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Alan

This sounds like excellent progress. Very well done to you and your team at Go Matilda.

I have a query, though, please.

As I understand it, the workplace assessments on offer in the UK at present tend to cost around £4,000 roughly. Presumably if the assessors decide that extra tuition is needed, that would cost extra?

However, by the time the candidate flies to, say, Brisbane for perhaps a week, then even if he goes on his own and finds a cheap B&B in Brisbane, the all-up costs may not be any less than getting the whole thing done in the UK instead.

Could you please explain why it would be better to go to a TAFE in Oz? I accept that it would be preferable because otherwise GM would not be investigating the possibility, but I am not clear about why.

Very many thanks

Gill

Cost is the main reason, Gill.

With all due respect to the Australian workplace assessors who are spending time in the UK offering to facilitate AQF Cert III qualifications, the cost seems to be in the region of £3,500 to £4,000.

By comparison the cost of a return trip to Australia for the tradesperson plus accommodation and the TAFE's assessment fees are likely to be a fair few slabs of beer less than this! Indeed, I'd hazard a guess that the cost of the route we are pursuing would be about one half of the cost of an assessment in the UK.

In saying this I recognise there would be a potential loss of earnings by spending a week or two in Australia.

Perhaps just as importantly, actually being at the TAFE will increase the prospects of the tradesperson coming into contact with people who can offer employment.

All this said, we are still in discussions, so tradespersons concerned should not yet see this as a definite pathway ... but we are doing what we can to facilitate it.

Best regards.

Guest thegrahames

Hello Alan

We are going to Oz in April to have a 3 month reckie. My husband is a gasfitter with his 'corgi' (6 month full time college training to complete ACS qualifications) and 5 years work experience here in the UK. He also has a 4 year plumbing apprentiseship. We were hoping to apply for his visa using TRA for gasfitting rather than Vetassess for plumbing. Is there anything he could do in Oz regarding his gasfitting, that could potentially help his application ie course, qualification recognition etc.

Thanks for your help, we are all new to this!

Viks

Hello Viks.

We are having to limit advice on what amount to visa strategy to fee paying clients presently - we are fielding a fairly significant number of enquiries and instructions, and as such have to ration our time. Added to which our fee paying clients quite reasonably expect us to commit our efforts to resolving their issues.

Please feel able to telephone our office in Southampton on 023 80 30 2525 for an initial (general) discussion if you think you are likely to also require some formal assistance with your skills assessment and/or visa applications in due course.

Best regards.

• 5 years later...

Archived