job dilemma URGENT need to decide tomorrow

Maruska

Hi guys,

can you please give me your views/input?

I am currently working at a place that I no longer enjoy and decided to apply for a new job at another hospital. The manager of the new unit called me today and she really wants me for the job, I have until tomorrow to decide if I want it. Now pros and cons:

Pros:

- change of specialty from emergency/oncology to something new - cardiac catheterization lab, it looks really interesting and would give me a new range of experience

- I`ve met the manager and some of the nurses and techs during my interview and everyone was very nice and welcoming

- work is Mo-FRi , no weekends or holidays

Cons:

- as soon as I applied for the job, our CO contacted us requesting further info, hopefully meaning that our visa isn`t too far away

- I don`t want to stay in a new job for 3-5 months only after they`ve invested time and money in me ( will require orientation and preceptor for about 1 month)

- shift is MO-FRI from 11 AM to 7 PM meaning that I wouldn`t get to see my husband and kids until the weekend ( I work 3 12-hour shifts now 9 am - 9 pm)

- my parents are coming for holidays in Nov. and I won`t have enough annual leave then - but I mentioned it during the interview and she offered to give me 2.5 weeks of unpaid leave

If I only had a way to know when is our visa going to be issued there would be no dilemma at all:skeptical:. Any input? What would you do?

I think it's entirely down to:

a) would you be happy to leave your new employer after less than six months (for example)?

b) would you be happy to have a job on your CV that you left very quickly?

I guess if the new job will enhance your CV and give you new skills, then you are only left with a) above to decide on.

It's a difficult situation but only you can decide what's best for you and your family/future life.

Personally I'd stay in the current job, and bear with it until the visa comes through. But up to you :)

What visa have you applied for and how long do they normally take to come through? How long after you get your visa would it be before you moved? Do you have a house to sell first or would you just go? If the whole thing took another year would you be happy to stay in your current job for that time?

If you really don't like it where you are and the new job seems good then go.

I think you should take new job as who knows how long visa might take - you never know what may happen. I once had a decision to make like yours and stayed where I was. It turned out I was there an awful lot longer than I had expected to be due to unexpected circumstances so in hindsight I should have taken new job.

I`ve applied for PR visa in June 2012. Everyone was getting visa rather quickly at that time but we got stuck on security checks - both me and husband used to work in the Middle East. We were contacted by immigration on Monday to provide further info. It`s been a year since the security check wait and based on the timelines of "high risk applicants" here on PIO we should expect the visa by the end of the year, possibly earlier.

I would not be happy to leave my employer after 6 months, feel like it would be very unfair to them. We had a few "hospital hoppers" on our unit and it`s frustrating that once they`re ready to work independently, they leave and you can start all over again with a new colleague( I am a preceptor on our unit).

The job offered to me looks great, interesting, the team seems very nice..... I can`t imagine staying for 1 more year where I am now but I could do it for 6 months, it`s not a bad place to work but management is doing their best to deter people, we had 6 resignations in 2 months :frown:

Sit quietly, block everything else out and irrelevant of pros and cons, ask yourself what you would really like to do, then do it.

That will make you happy which will benefit your whole family!

You only have ot activate your visa within a year, you don't have to move out here for good straight away, so there is no reason why you could not do a significant amount of time in the new job, and then give "emigrating" as the reason for leaving.

You can't live your life in limbo! Go for the best opportunity of the moment. You may get a visa, you may not. You may eventually emigrate, you may not - you never know what is around the corner so if you are miserable in your current workplace and have a good professional opportunity then go for it. You don't have to move the instant you get your visa, you can, as Incata said, validate and then take your time.

Guest littlesarah

My experience in the work place is that if you don't put yourself and your career first some times, no one else does. I hear what you're saying about not wanting to leave - I felt that about the promotion I applied for in my last job before coming here - luckily for me it was an internal job and my boss knew I planned on leaving as soon as I got my visa, so we were able to talk about it. Having said that, though, I've known people to start a job, realise they actually don't like it (or the hours don't suit after all, or whatever) and leave after a few months.

Thanks , I`m calling the manager today to confirm the conditions ( related to leave, orientation period etc). I didn`t tell her I am planning to emigrate. By chance, our clinical educator ( he also covers different units) knows that I want to leave the ER and sent me an email yesterday to see if I was interested in post-anesthesia care unit - same hospital:shocked:, he is part of the interview committee and they din`t find a suitable candidate yet even though the position has been posted for the last 3 weeks.While it`s very flattering I wish I didn`t have that many choices .

Thanks , I`m calling the manager today to confirm the conditions ( related to leave, orientation period etc). I didn`t tell her I am planning to emigrate. By chance, our clinical educator ( he also covers different units) knows that I want to leave the ER and sent me an email yesterday to see if I was interested in post-anesthesia care unit - same hospital:shocked:, he is part of the interview committee and they din`t find a suitable candidate yet even though the position has been posted for the last 3 weeks.While it`s very flattering I wish I didn`t have that many choices .

Sometimes it is easier to have no choice, just one option - but that wouldn't be quite so much fun!!! Good luck with whatever you decide :smile:

Have you got Ahpra and/or Anmac sorted already? only because its a pain when youve worked in a few areas however Im assuming so as your waiting for a CO. If so I would move but be upfront with new manager about plans to emigrate. good luck

Have you got Ahpra and/or Anmac sorted already? only because its a pain when youve worked in a few areas however Im assuming so as your waiting for a CO. If so I would move but be upfront with new manager about plans to emigrate. good luck

I am already on the register, went to Australia 3 weeks ago to finalize the registration ( and have a holiday :wink:). It was lovely.

For cv purposes I would stay in your post for at least 12 months. Anything less than that isn't much experience to go on for future nursing posts. I am confused though, does you prospective employer in cath lab know you are planning to emigrate? If you accept the post and then get your visa and leave shortly afterwards, you'll have 2 jobs on your cv both with limited time. There seems to be a big need for emergency type nursing in Australia inc agency work. I'd stay put but that's just my opinion. Good luck on what you decide.Debs

Archived