Remove plugs as sockets differ from the UK??

gypsy10

Hi there,

Our container is arriving on 16th September and one of the pre-move items is to remove existing plugs ??? We're taking adapters so wonder why they are asking us to do this?

Was anyone in the same boat asked to do this by any chance? If so, did you remove your plugs?

Thank you.

:cool:

Hi there,

Our container is arriving on 16th September and one of the pre-move items is to remove existing plugs ??? We're taking adapters so wonder why they are asking us to do this?

Was anyone in the same boat asked to do this by any chance? If so, did you remove your plugs?

Thank you.

:cool:

Pop into B and Q and buy some UK sockets. And some 3 core flex. Then you can make up little extension leads with an Aussie plug but a UK socket. Just in case you've got wall warts that won't physically fit into the space required.

Naturally, any electrical work should be carried out by a licensed electrician for the state you live in. Or, preferably by a direct blood descendent of Michael Faraday.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that the standard Aussie socket seems to make a sad/forlorn face?

Pop into B and Q and buy some UK sockets. And some 3 core flex. Then you can make up little extension leads with an Aussie plug but a UK socket. Just in case you've got wall warts that won't physically fit into the space required.

Naturally, any electrical work should be carried out by a licensed electrician for the state you live in. Or, preferably by a direct blood descendent of Michael Faraday.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that the standard Aussie socket seems to make a sad/forlorn face?

That's what we do. We just changed the plugs on a couple of 4-socket extensions, one in the kitchen and one for the stereo/DVD.

Yes they are a bit sad :-( and angry sometimes when they crack/fizzle when you plug something in (does that happen to anyone else or is it just our shoddy electrics?)

We get "flashes" from our sockets. Seems pretty concerning but I have asked an electrician who said it was ok.

I do wonder about the electrics sometimes. We had a dodgy socket which wouldn't charge my phone, kept blowing bulbs and hairdryer kept cutting out. Electrician tested it and said it was fine. Luckily they decided to change the switch (to get a bit more money from the call out I suspect) and found out that a nail was through some wire or something. Apparently could've ruined any appliances plugged in there. Makes me wonder what else could be going on....

Did customs ask this? The only thing I could think is that it's easiest to test things work, and then it's less likely they will be full of drugs, so they don't need to open every item. I'd pack a converted power board with them if that's the case.

Don't bother removing plugs. It will cause you loads of frustrating rewiring them when you get your things here.

Ausssie electrical standards are very low, so if you need to get an electrician, get a British one as they have been trained to a higher standard.

Another "don't remove the plugs" answer. I used the solution of taking a couple of British six way short extension cord and changed the plugs on the end when I arrived. This gave some breathing space when we first arrived while I gradually changed plugs as I found them--and even six years on they get used for wall-wart things that can't be changed.

I don't recommend the use of basic adaptors unless you know your way around electrics...many adaptors are for light duty only and many others don't connect the earth pin.

Finally, to end, many states make it technically illegal to change plugs for yourself, insisting you should use a licensed electrician. Despite that, you can buy plugs at any DIY centre an everyone does it...but it's worth knowing the rules in the one chance in a billion there's a problem.

Don't bother removing plugs. It will cause you loads of frustrating rewiring them when you get your things here.

Ausssie electrical standards are very low, so if you need to get an electrician, get a British one as they have been trained to a higher standard.

I think they have to be Australian trained or your insurance could be nullified. You are not supposed to change your own plugs here, you are supposed to get an electrician. Not many do but in case of fire etc you have to think of your insurance.

Load of absolute tosh.

In the UK there's no formal qualification for electricians. Joe Bloggs can wake up one morning, decide he wants to be a sparks and start working on people's homes. The only "sort of" quaification is membership in the professional body the NICEIC but that's not compulsory.

In Australia, to work as an electrician, you have to pass a formal test with both written and practical segments.

In what way do you think standards are low?

Hi Candygirl,

Where did you order them from? I need to get some and that seems really reasonable.

By the way what part you going to? We're flying out on Oct 18th and are in a holiday let for 6 weeks in East Victoria park.

Good luck with the move

xxxx

No, one thing we have not been asked to do.

I have ordered 10 Aussies adaptors online at a cost of £10 to keep us going whilst OH changes everything over.

Load of absolute tosh.

In the UK there's no formal qualification for electricians. Joe Bloggs can wake up one morning, decide he wants to be a sparks and start working on people's homes. The only "sort of" quaification is membership in the professional body the NICEIC but that's not compulsory.

In Australia, to work as an electrician, you have to pass a formal test with both written and practical segments.

In what way do you think standards are low?

I've seen the poor quality of electrical work that has been done previously in our house, and got the certificates signed by the Australians who did it. We had an Australian electrician out to look at it and he said it was fine. We called out a British firm to sort it out and they rectified the problems (which included ovens incorrectly wired in, unsafe sockets, lack of earthing wires etc etc etc). Even my husband, who is not an electrician but did a lot of our electrical work on our house in the UK before the law changed, was horrified at what he saw when he got a good look at the house when we moved in.

The British electricians we have spoken to have told us that the Australian standards for electricians are the standards they were working to 20 years ago, and when they do the relevant local courses, they are essentially de-skilling themselves as the standards and expectations are so low.

In the UK we would only hire an electrician who was registered with the official body simply for insurance purposes. In addition, for the past few years it has been a legal requirement that any electrical work on a house is done by a qualified and registered electrician.

If you want to see REALLY poor quality electrical work, you needed to visit my old house in Bedfordshire. It was a downright death trap--done by a "qualified" British electrician.

That's the rub. UK law says an electrician must be qualified but there are no government qualifications, just a British Standard (or, rather, series of British Standards) they're supposed to work to. If nobody notices a problem and complains they can keep working.

Membership and registration in the NIEEIC is volutary. Obviously anyone in the know should insist on such a registration but how many people understand that? If a guy turns up at the door in a van saying "XYZ Electrical" is anyone going to stop them.

Certainly a lot of British electricians feel bitter when they move to Australia and have to pass all the tests for certification but if it truly is "de-skilling' why do they also have problems passing the exams? It's more a case that systems and standards are different here. Indeed, the UK is unusual in world terms with its use of ring mains and the like--the system in Australia is much more like you'd find in most G20 countries.

In any case, as others have pointed out, if your British electrician in Australia has not passed the appropriate courses and certificates then his work will be illegal whatever he and you say about his skill level. Frankly, for just changing plugs, most people ignore that requirement anyway but that's down to individual choice.

Hi Candygirl,

Where did you order them from? I need to get some and that seems really reasonable.

By the way what part you going to? We're flying out on Oct 18th and are in a holiday let for 6 weeks in East Victoria park.

Good luck with the move

xxxx

Hi, We got them from www.kenable.co.uk. We got them just to get us started. There will be so much to do upon arrival, that we are just trying to get as organised as possible and are trying to have basic things to hand so that we are not traipsing round shops looking for items, impulse buying, whilst also trying to sort out the paperwork and look for a new home.

We arrive on 9 Oct and have a short term apartment booked in Yorkine for 4 weeks. We are hoping this is enough time to secure a long term rental. We wanted to be close to the CBD for ease and central enough to go NOR, SOR, East and West etc.

Wishing you the best of Luck too Lorraine xx

Thanks Lorraine i'll get them ordered I think.

We're doing the same thing. Have a holiday let near CBD for 6weeks. Hoping this will be enough to secure a long term rental, schools etc etc.

All the best. If you get the chance, let me know how you get on once your there!! It's mad crazy at the mo so i'm hoping when we get there it might be a bit calmer (i'm guessing not)!!!!

Manisha x

Hi, We got them from www.kenable.co.uk. We got them just to get us started. There will be so much to do upon arrival, that we are just trying to get as organised as possible and are trying to have basic things to hand so that we are not traipsing round shops looking for items, impulse buying, whilst also trying to sort out the paperwork and look for a new home.

We arrive on 9 Oct and have a short term apartment booked in Yorkine for 4 weeks. We are hoping this is enough time to secure a long term rental. We wanted to be close to the CBD for ease and central enough to go NOR, SOR, East and West etc.

Wishing you the best of Luck too Lorraine xx

Archived