how long did you last in oz before moving back

bwatt99

........recently I have wanted to move back..............came here in '92.....

.......and sometimes do miss lots of what the UK and Europe have and is.....

........my children have grown up now and have a life here..........and I wonder what I will do......

........it's the small details like distance for me..........a long way from things as I rarely drive now....

........familiarity ......though I accept that many memories are just that........

.........much of what I remember has long gone...........places and people move on......

.........my head.......says that I will not find the place or people I left behind so many years ago.......

.........my heart .......remembers all the Britishness that I miss.......

.........it's hard when you choose to sample other countries..........

..........each one helps to make you what you are........

..........and as you leave it behind............the good memories are always stronger than the bad.....ime......

..........so the future is full of choices.........

.........and ATM I for one am wondering if a move is in my future.........!

Tell ya what Tink, how about we swap houses for a bit??? BTW you'd inherit DD until she's finished GCSE's in 2016 as part of the deal!!

Guest Guest16631
Tell ya what Tink, how about we swap houses for a bit??? BTW you'd inherit DD until she's finished GCSE's in 2016 as part of the deal!!

.......sounds good.......always wanted a daughter.......

.......you get a place full of animals......

........a foul mouthed lorikeet.......

........and a cockerel with a bad attitude......

.......I'm sure I'd get the better deal......lol....!

.......sounds good.......always wanted a daughter.......

.......you get a place full of animals......

........a foul mouthed lorikeet.......

........and a cockerel with a bad attitude......

.......I'm sure I'd get the better deal......lol....!

She's 13!!!! I think she'd put all of your menagerie in the shade!! Oh and she's just discovered boys and the joys of Facebook!!

Guest Guest16631

......perhaps grand mother then.......lol....

.......whole new perspective.......

........you get a 17 year old boy.......

........car parts all over the place........

........and a chance to experience 16/17 year old girl friends.....

........still say mine would be a walk in the park compared........lol...!

.....there's my good sheet......!

.....put in the laundry with that thing laid on it....!....

Edited by Guest16631

......perhaps grand mother then.......lol....

.......whole new perspective.......

........you get a 17 year old boy.......

........car parts all over the place........

........and a chance to experience 16/17 year old girl friends.....

........still say mine would be a walk in the park compared........lol...!

.....there's my good sheet......!

.....put in the laundry with that thing laid on it....!....

Er.... That could have been me, and I'm 50. fair few towels gone missing in our house, hidden in man shed, and new cheap ones just appear as replacement :unsure:

I don't have a big ego mate if that's what you are saying. Apologies though for sounding abrupt. Returning home after a rare late might in the local pub and checking my emails only to find another "destroyed" life because someone moved to australia and will never recover from the harrowing experience, sometimes demands an instant response, sober or otherwise. This website never seems to tire of Poms returning to the UK full of bitterness and anger at Australia for not living up to their distorted expectations. On this thread alone, there's the poor beast who only stayed 20 months and there's the other one who claims he wasted 27 years of his life in Australia before going back to the UK. It really isn't Australia's fault. Get over it. I mean "27 years" to make a decision. Come on. He could have wasted 27 years in Blighty and saved the money. My own personal favourite though, is the British plumber who got off the plane with his family in tow and went home after two days because he was told he'd have to do a course to continue/qualify as a plumber in Australia. You don't have to leave the UK to find wasted lives. Anyway, Sunday morning here, a wee bit drizzle and more football on the telly can't be that bad... Syd.

I don't have a big ego mate if that's what you are saying. Apologies though for sounding abrupt. Returning home after a rare late might in the local pub and checking my emails only to find another "destroyed" life because someone moved to australia and will never recover from the harrowing experience, sometimes demands an instant response, sober or otherwise. This website never seems to tire of Poms returning to the UK full of bitterness and anger at Australia for not living up to their distorted expectations. On this thread alone, there's the poor beast who only stayed 20 months and there's the other one who claims he wasted 27 years of his life in Australia before going back to the UK. It really isn't Australia's fault. Get over it. I mean "27 years" to make a decision. Come on. He could have wasted 27 years in Blighty and saved the money. My own personal favourite though, is the British plumber who got off the plane with his family in tow and went home after two days because he was told he'd have to do a course to continue/qualify as a plumber in Australia. You don't have to leave the UK to find wasted lives. Anyway, Sunday morning here, a wee bit drizzle and more football on the telly can't be that bad... Syd.

wrong thread for you sydney. this is mbthuk site, people can vent and have their own opinions, not sure why those who love oz need to visit the thread to make personal comments. its their opinion. its not them that need to get over it. :smile:

Guest Guest16631
Er.... That could have been me, and I'm 50. fair few towels gone missing in our house, hidden in man shed, and new cheap ones just appear as replacement :unsure:

.......I have put up with that for nearly 30 years........the OH and the 3 sons.....!

.......and am sure your OH has resigned herself to odd looking linen......as I have lol...!

Guest The Pom Queen
wrong thread for you sydney. this is mbthuk site, people can vent and have their own opinions, not sure why those who love oz need to visit the thread to make personal comments. its their opinion. its not them that need to get over it. :smile:

Well I hope he listens to you because obviously he totally ignored my post.

Sydney hope your not referring to me as the "poor beast" Poor am not beast am not. Also did not stated that our life was destroyed. I feel you are making assumptions but will put that down to your inebriated state after returning from the local pub. Perhaps avoiding replying to posting on a forum when in that state.

Am still here and will be for some time yet not taken enough of Australian money yet to jet back off to our life in the UK.

Am still here and will be for some time yet not taken enough of Australian money yet to jet back off to our life in the UK.

Just browsing people's reasons for returning to Britain and read your post. Did you always plan to return home after making money in Australia?

Edited by Fandango man

Guest The Pom Queen

Just browsing people's reasons for returning to Britain and read your post. Did you always plan to return home after making money in Australia?

Sydney darling, could you not have just asked him under your other account instead of creating a new one to ask the question? Now, as not to confuse our members and to make sure you are abiding by the forum rules I will merge your Fandango Man account back in to your Sydney username.

Have a wonderful day :yes:

ADMIN

Sydney

Not that it is any of your business but being the callous shrewd people we are the answer to your fairly personal question is YES

Sydney

Not that it is any of your business but being the callous shrewd people we are the answer to your fairly personal question is YES

You're not alone as well. However on PIO there are a handful of peeps who really look down on us for only moving here temporarily and 'sucking Australia dry'. However they forget the large amount of taxes we pay (very little of which we will ever see again in the form of benefits), the expertise we might have brought with us (and passed onto Australians) and the fact that having an adventure here is a pretty great thing to do and the fact we benefit financially is icing on the cake. But I think they tend to see it as rape and pillage and its a shame they have such a blinkered view. Oh and don't you dare criticise Australia, after all it's setting you up for life so do not bite the hand that feeds.:wink:

You're not alone as well. However on PIO there are a handful of peeps who really look down on us for only moving here temporarily and 'sucking Australia dry'. However they forget the large amount of taxes we pay (very little of which we will ever see again in the form of benefits), the expertise we might have brought with us (and passed onto Australians) and the fact that having an adventure here is a pretty great thing to do and the fact we benefit financially is icing on the cake. But I think they tend to see it as rape and pillage and its a shame they have such a blinkered view. Oh and don't you dare criticise Australia, after all it's setting you up for life so do not bite the hand that feeds.:wink:

OH NO!

was it me that sucked the uk dry and started the GFC by teaching for seven years in the uk before returning 'home' to Australia? :wideeyed:

Ooops, I'm really sorry. :twitcy:

OH NO!

was it me that sucked the uk dry and started the GFC by teaching for seven years in the uk before returning 'home' to Australia? :wideeyed:

Ooops, I'm really sorry. :twitcy:

You were teaching mate, not over there making enough money to set you up for the rest of your life.:wink:

I don't begrudge anyone who comes over here for the money and nothing else. They have the skills and experience and wouldn't be able to get in if they didn't. Nothing wrong with it, I thought about working for ARAMCO like a few of my friends did when we finished our apprenticeship, but didn't fancy ever living in Any of the countries being offered.

Someone has to live and work in Kal and on the mines too, not enough people who fancy doing it in Perth the keep the industry going.

You were teaching mate, not over there making enough money to set you up for the rest of your life.:wink:

I don't begrudge anyone who comes over here for the money and nothing else. They have the skills and experience and wouldn't be able to get in if they didn't. Nothing wrong with it, I thought about working for ARAMCO like a few of my friends did when we finished our apprenticeship, but didn't fancy ever living in Any of the countries being offered.

Someone has to live and work in Kal and on the mines too, not enough people who fancy doing it in Perth the keep the industry going.

More giving me worry for the rest of my life, our apartment is still worth half of what we paid for it. :realmad:

Its grim in t'north.

Well if we are guilty of raping and pillaging Australia then so be it. Yes we pay extortionate taxes extortionate health care put money into the economy also. Yes we get looked down upon for the skills we bring hence taking the jobs but hey if they could do it then we wouldnt be needed eh ???? Well there have been others before us and no doubt others after. But then if the history books are to be believed everyone who came here after the continent was discovered way way back surely are guilty of the same.

No point in saying here for the sun sand and good living it ifs not the case for us. My hubby could have gone to Africa or Saudi and made more money tax free. But here we can at least see each other a bit more. Didn't want him going to Africa living in a guarded camp being driven to work daily with armed guards. Saudi well cant live a life there due to the restrictions etc. So it was Australia, thank god its not for ever................

ps we were fairly set up before we came here so we are most definitely not gnawing the hand that feeds us. Dont criticize just say it the way its seen from our perspective. Australia is not for everyone good luck to those who think it is for us it is not

Edited by bryng67

Youre the reason I'm going back..... Can't stand the Aussies, the media bleeps constantly about how we're all mates, and the Aussies come together when there's a crisis.,,,like no other country does that. The Aussies are full of their own self importance. If they've won in some International sport we never hear the end of it, if they lose. It's a blip on the news. I can talk from experience as I've been here 25 yrs, and I'm going back, not because I blame Oz, but because it's sooooooo over rated and I prefer the Brits, simply cos they're friendlier.

Edited by Thistle13
Add on

Youre the reason I'm going back..... Can't stand the Aussies, the media bleeps constantly about how we're all mates, and the Aussies come together when there's a crisis.,,,like no other country does that. The Aussies are full of their own self importance. If they've won in some International sport we never hear the end of it, if they lose. It's a blip on the news. I can talk from experience as I've been here 25 yrs, and I'm going back, not because I blame Oz, but because it's sooooooo over rated and I prefer the Brits, simply cos they're friendlier.

Ta Ta - Bye Bye - See ya - Arrivederci!! Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Guest The Pom Queen

Cough we seem to have got away from the OP, please can we get back on topic. Please feel free to start your own threads though.

Guest The Pom Queen
Why are you on this forum? This is a private forum for people who want to leave Australia and return to the UK for their own reasons, and not for people to 'bash' or have a go at us over over decisions. You don't know my story or my reasons. So for you to be so rude to me and others who want to leave is heartless. My opinion on Aussies is MY experience. You're response was personal and shows the mentality of what we are dealing with here. If you don't want to hear about people returning to the UK. Then GET OFF this forum, or stop whinging.

Thistle this isn't the private forum, you have a separate forum where other members can not join unless they have, are or considered moving/moved back.

I am the first one to defend those returning but the only post I see as a personal attack is yours. I have already deleted a number of posts and asked that the thread get back on track so can we please all stop with insults and move on

I moved to Melbourne 23 years ago and I am lucky I love living here. I have known a lot of people in that time who have got home sick and moved back. The majority of them have said it was the wrong decision to go back but some people really couldn't stand being away from their family and they needed to go home. I have gone back to the UK every year for the last ten years for work and I have seen a lot of changes in the UK and in Australia. I really love where I was brought up in Scotland but have never regretted moving to Australia as it was the right place for me to bring up my family. We are very fortunate that both countries are good places to live. My advice is look at where you think the best opportunities are going to be in the future for your family. I would also recommend giving it a bit longer if you can as most people take at least a year to settle properly. If you do go back don't think of it as a failure as the experiences you have had will still make a difference and it is always better to have tried it and found out that it wasn't the right place for you than to wonder later in life. Whether your future is in Australia or the UK I wish you all the best for your future

• 5 weeks later...

I have moved back 3 times since originally migrating out with my family as a teenager. First time, I was a stroppy teenager and didn't want to go over in the first place plus I left a boyfriend behind. Second time (I went back and married the boyfriend and we came back to live in Australia) the rest of my family had moved from Melbourne to Townsville and we decided to go back home rather than move to Townsville, plus I didn't like living in a big city coming from a smaller town over here so never really settled there at all. Only lasted a year in UK due to low wages, poor weather and inability to get a house of our own. Moved to Queensland and stayed in Townsville for a bit before moving to north side of Brisbane for work and only left to the UK due to family bereavement. Been here nearly 14 years now and had a good time, bought a house, had children, been on holiday to places in Europe and been on holiday to lots of places in the UK from Dornoch in the Highlands to The Lizard in Cornwall. Seen much more of the country than I would ever had if I hadn't moved to Australia but will be returning to Queensland next year after death of my mother-in-law and we have no more close relation ties left in the UK now at all as my family are all in Australia. To be honest, if you have the kind of skills where you can earn good money in Australia the same would be the case in the UK even though the wages may be lower. You can buy as nice houses out here if you can afford it and go on holiday to hotter places in Europe easily if the thought of a British Summer depresses you.