gorgon jobs as a pipe fitter

bwatt99

i wondered if anyone has info on the gorgon in barrow island wa,been registered for it months ago,been in oz a few months now and updated my details but still no job offer for up there yet,yet i see on news tonight there is like 5000 guys out there is this pipe fitters? has this side of the job started? who has work or contacts to this side of work?

Cant believe i have been here over two months now and still trying to get work,trying for plenty and getting not got it or no reply,having been in the game over 20 years with onshore and offshore experience and hardly been out of work in uk im finding it hard settling in and thinking was this a good move? we all know job plays big part in us moving here oil and gas industry is supposed to be booming not for me its not?

The main problem with the Gorgon project is accommodation, that is, lack of it. If you couple that with the fact that an army of pipefitters, welders, boilermakers, mechanical fitters and TA's have been waiting for a start since last christmas you may realise that it isn't going to be easy to get on there at the moment. The recruitment process takes around 3 months which will entail registering your interest, 2 online tests, an interview, weld test(s), medical, company induction, 2 day KJV induction along with various training courses which are mandatory for the job. After that lot you'll be in a good but not certain position for a start when they find a bed for you.

I've said it before. Perth is chock a block with pipefitters and welders.

Best of luck.

The main problem with the Gorgon project is accommodation, that is, lack of it. If you couple that with the fact that an army of pipefitters, welders, boilermakers, mechanical fitters and TA's have been waiting for a start since last christmas you may realise that it isn't going to be easy to get on there at the moment. The recruitment process takes around 3 months which will entail registering your interest, 2 online tests, an interview, weld test(s), medical, company induction, 2 day KJV induction along with various training courses which are mandatory for the job. After that lot you'll be in a good but not certain position for a start when they find a bed for you.

I've said it before. Perth is chock a block with pipefitters and welders.

Best of luck.

it sure was not chock a block 2004 when i was traveling decided to work in my job got offered the job was in east coast said i be in west coast in 3/4 months time got back in touch 4 months later and still got same job,i was lead to believe there was not enough around all these years,since being granted my visa 5 yrs ago and which just expired a few days ago i was very unsure to give oz a go or not.

I said well if i dont might always wonder what if,what would it be like etc so i decided to go,after many years trolling on sites for work taking notes etc i said looks to be plenty of work with gorgon and many other jobs etc.

since arriving im now wondering what have i done,giving up a job offshore on the rigs which i had been on for two years and possible two years or more left.hardy been out of work over last 20 years and things getting busy in uk.

to what come over here where yes things are expensive but wages are more to hopefully give my daughter who just turned 1 a better place to be,but to be honest im wondering if this move was a huge mistake by me.

i understand people going back to uk due to missing family etc but for me if its somethingvi will need to do its due to not getting work which im very surprised about.

i could get a job in uk next day to be honest.i have sold or about sell it in uk to fund for one here,renting at moment took pretty much all the money i have i had in uk and purchased a pretty new motor to last us several years etc

But its will i need to return to uk hope not but i havevmy wife and baby girl to look after and sure makes me nervous,if i had been single no worries it probably been ok.

Talk about settling in this job thing is not helping its stay here run out of money or go back and nearly start over again,what makes it worse my stuff just arrived from uk by container what was not cheap and i would be throwing away money if i had to return lets hope it does not come to this,but had no idea i still be trying to find something.

it sure was not chock a block 2004 when i was traveling decided to work in my job got offered the job was in east coast said i be in west coast in 3/4 months time got back in touch 4 months later and still got same job,i was lead to believe there was not enough around all these years,since being granted my visa 5 yrs ago and which just expired a few days ago i was very unsure to give oz a go or not.

I said well if i dont might always wonder what if,what would it be like etc so i decided to go,after many years trolling on sites for work taking notes etc i said looks to be plenty of work with gorgon and many other jobs etc.

since arriving im now wondering what have i done,giving up a job offshore on the rigs which i had been on for two years and possible two years or more left.hardy been out of work over last 20 years and things getting busy in uk.

to what come over here where yes things are expensive but wages are more to hopefully give my daughter who just turned 1 a better place to be,but to be honest im wondering if this move was a huge mistake by me.

i understand people going back to uk due to missing family etc but for me if its somethingvi will need to do its due to not getting work which im very surprised about.

i could get a job in uk next day to be honest.i have sold or about sell it in uk to fund for one here,renting at moment took pretty much all the money i have i had in uk and purchased a pretty new motor to last us several years etc

But its will i need to return to uk hope not but i havevmy wife and baby girl to look after and sure makes me nervous,if i had been single no worries it probably been ok.

Talk about settling in this job thing is not helping its stay here run out of money or go back and nearly start over again,what makes it worse my stuff just arrived from uk by container what was not cheap and i would be throwing away money if i had to return lets hope it does not come to this,but had no idea i still be trying to find something.

I dont know your industry, but your situation is not unusual. For example, i know a number of mining proffessionals that have returned to the UK recently. No work in Oz

“it sure was not chock a block 2004”

But that was 9 years ago….with GBP1~AUD3, Tony and Gordon busy f*cking up the UK whilst no-one noticed, house prices rising and Liverpool FC were still a force to be reckoned with (although their time will come)

Since then, Woodside have built their Pluto plant at Karratha where thousands of tradies earned really, really good money for several years – when that finished they either moved on to another project (Curtis, Gladstone or Gorgon) or took some time off.

At each job, the tradies build really good little teams, and when one moves on to another job, he recommends all his old mates – its just one big merry go round, and it can be difficult for a newcomer to get on, especially if he doesn’t have those all important ‘pieces of paper’ – white card, working at heights, confined space entry….etc..etc.

This isn’t anti-Pom, but just the way it is…You might want to consider applying for positions as a TA (Technical Assistant – in reality a labourer) in the hope that this will at least get a foot in the door – but I’m guessing there’s loads of applicants for these relatively unskilled jobs and you’ll have to hope that your experience will get you a bit of an advantage.

Good luck with that though..

“it sure was not chock a block 2004”

But that was 9 years ago….with GBP1~AUD3, Tony and Gordon busy f*cking up the UK whilst no-one noticed, house prices rising and Liverpool FC were still a force to be reckoned with (although their time will come)

Since then, Woodside have built their Pluto plant at Karratha where thousands of tradies earned really, really good money for several years – when that finished they either moved on to another project (Curtis, Gladstone or Gorgon) or took some time off.

At each job, the tradies build really good little teams, and when one moves on to another job, he recommends all his old mates – its just one big merry go round, and it can be difficult for a newcomer to get on, especially if he doesn’t have those all important ‘pieces of paper’ – white card, working at heights, confined space entry….etc..etc.

This isn’t anti-Pom, but just the way it is…You might want to consider applying for positions as a TA (Technical Assistant – in reality a labourer) in the hope that this will at least get a foot in the door – but I’m guessing there’s loads of applicants for these relatively unskilled jobs and you’ll have to hope that your experience will get you a bit of an advantage.

Good luck with that though..

This all sounds great not,its maybe early days but to be honest i cant stay here if its going to be this hard or hassle to find or get a job,here was me thinking as well i have no trouble getting work etc im wrong the fact most dont even get back to you or even reply,all these years of being here many times and traveling for a yr and applying for my visa and then wife and babys visa im think why did i bothe.

The dream is becoming a nightmare if i be honest if i could turn back clock now being here these few months and what i had in uk etc i would have been better staying.

My wife just went with the flow its always something i wanted to at least try or give it a go,but i find you dont even get a chance,if things dont change for me soon then i will need to consider moving back,would be so embarissing for me to and probably a record on here of shortest time spent in oz.

Cause of the job side of it which we all know is important it sure is putting me off bejng here and trying to settle here.

Very costly mistake on my part if this does not work out.

As someone asked i work in the oil and gas have worked on sites.power stations and on hook ups and live platforms and in yards for over 20yrs so finding it hard to adjust the fact i have this experience and been with some big uk construction companies and working for some big oil companies i struggle to get a kick in.

You have almost no chance of getting on the Gorgon Project. They are recruiting Australians first( of which there are plenty) I heard this from a recruiter i know as i applied for Henderson shipyard. Loads of trades still arriving here believing the streets are paved with gold only to find a very different reality.

Guest jak2503

Look over in qld on the gas side, look at T/A jobs, loads of em who are toadies working as labourers, still picking up 3grand a week,

Guest thangvan

Perhaps it's not a good time to move mate, as there are still plenty of Aussie out there looking for a trade job. It has slowed down here for oil and gas as a few big projects were cancelled due to the high cost, and possibly the fear of competition from cheap US shale gas. I'm sorry to say this, but it could be a good time to stay in the UK as the North Sea is booming again. They (in the UK and in Norway) are screaming for oil and gas people.

Archived