Is $50k a livable salary in Melbourne

aksahdaks

Hi,

I am planning to move to Melbourne by this year end. Can you please help understand what would be ideal income for decent living in Melbourne. Is $50K annual package is enough for small family, 3 dependents (1 kid, wife, mom) ?

My lifestyle is not very luxurious, please help.

Regards

Akshay

Hi,

I am planning to move to Melbourne by this year end. Can you please help understand what would be ideal income for decent living in Melbourne. Is $50K annual package is enough for small family, 3 dependents (1 kid, wife, mom) ?

Regards

Akshay

I'm afraid that for a family of 3 to live on $50k in Melbourne is not possible, not without real hardship anyway.

Are you coming from the UK? I would estimate it to provide the equivalent standard of living as £25k in London or £18k outside of London.

Hi,

I am planning to move to Melbourne by this year end. Can you please help me understand what would be ideal income for decent living in Melbourne. Is $50K annual package is enough for small family, myself, wife and kid ?

Regards

Akshay

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hi,

I am planning to move to Melbourne by this year end. Can you please help me understand what would be ideal income for decent living in Melbourne. Is $50K annual package is enough for small family, myself, wife and kid ?

Regards

Akshay

This is similar to living on about £22,000 here in the UK, it isn't a good wage, what work are you doing? The average wage in Oz is about $70,000 compared to the average UK wage of about £26,000 ignore the fluctuating exchange rate, its irrelevant when working out wages. It doesn't mean you have to earn $70,000 but $50,000 appears to be on the low side, I am sure others will tell you this who live there. Best of luck.

I'm afraid that for a family of 3 to live on $50k in Melbourne is not possible, not without real hardship anyway.

Are you coming from the UK? I would estimate it to provide the equivalent standard of living as £25k in London or £18k outside of London.

Thanks for reply. I am from coming from India.

If you had PR and all the top ups that come with that in terms of state benefits you might be in a better position than you are currently.

Thanks for reply. I will be coming on VISA 457, :( so no benefits. I have my all docs ready to apply for state sponsorship, however my occupation is only in ACT and this employer is giving job in Melbourne. SO was wondering as I can save VISA fees and come on 457.

$80k is survivable. We can just do it just- half goes on rent (crap 3 bed bungalow in Brisbane), we have two older teens - food v expensive, healthcare, school uniforms, school fees (youngest goes to a state school with fees - but worth it)

We were very comfortable in UK on £50k - holidays, mini-breaks, meals out - stuff that's out of the question for us in Oz. For me the significant drop in quality of life does not merit staying here. The sun will be shining as you scout around for bargains in ALdi and the local markets. I'm interested that people mentioned benefits though .. I have a 16 year old at school and a 19 year old at uni - we do have income from UK property. Would we get any allowances? I could treat myself to the odd trip to the drs if that's the case!

$80k is survivable. We can just do it just- half goes on rent (crap 3 bed bungalow in Brisbane), we have two older teens - food v expensive, healthcare, school uniforms, school fees (youngest goes to a state school with fees - but worth it)

We were very comfortable in UK on £50k - holidays, mini-breaks, meals out - stuff that's out of the question for us in Oz. For me the significant drop in quality of life does not merit staying here. The sun will be shining as you scout around for bargains in ALdi and the local markets. I'm interested that people mentioned benefits though .. I have a 16 year old at school and a 19 year old at uni - we do have income from UK property. Would we get any allowances? I could treat myself to the odd trip to the drs if that's the case!

Find a doc that bulk bills and you don't need to save up. :cool:

Thanks for reply. I will be coming on VISA 457, :( so no benefits. I have my all docs ready to apply for state sponsorship, however my occupation is only in ACT and this employer is giving job in Melbourne. SO was wondering as I can save VISA fees and come on 457.

That would be a VERY low income. Also, I believe it is too low to qualify for a 457.

Have to say there is no way I would have taken a role for $80k coming from a £50k salary. What visa are you one and which state?

OP I have moved your posts off the two old threads and started a thread just for you. It is always better to start a new thread than post on an old one, as people get distracted by the older posts and start answering them not you.

Have to say there is no way I would have taken a role for $80k coming from a £50k salary. What visa are you one and which state?

My OH did :sad:. Not too much choice as that's what his job pays here. Although, to be fair he was particularly well paid for it in the UK and we moved to be close to his family rather than for any lifestyle thing.

OP $50k on a 457 would be very difficult if not impossible. We just about managed on $54k plus family tax benefits while my OH was out of work but it was very​ tough.

My OH did :sad:. Not too much choice as that's what his job pays here. Although, to be fair he was particularly well paid for it in the UK and we moved to be close to his family rather than for any lifestyle thing.

OP $50k on a 457 would be very difficult if not impossible. We just about managed on $54k plus family tax benefits while my OH was out of work but it was very​ tough.

Thanks for reply. I hope they offer a better package. I have 2 options, 1st go for State Sponsorship ACT by my own (only ACT has my occupation on list), 2nd accept offer from employer for 457 and be in Melbourne.

Employers have to pay a minimum salary for 457 jobs.

Currently that minimum is $53,900 pa.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2013L01231

Hi NickyNook,

Thanks for reply. This is great information. I shall take this as base for negotiations. Also, is $53.9 K is sufficient for myself, wife and kid. I have very simple lifestyle. Or should I go for 190 subclass to ACT and search job, leaving 457 job in Melbourne behind. Please assist.

Hi NickyNook,

Thanks for reply. This is great information. I shall take this as base for negotiations. Also, is $53.9 K is sufficient for myself, wife and kid. I have very simple lifestyle. Or should I go for 190 subclass to ACT and search job, leaving 457 job in Melbourne behind. Please assist.

457 Plus family plus low income = pending disaster if you have not got a sizeable cusion to fall back on. Keep in mind the current job decline in oz as if you are made redundant then no job no visa = expensive trip back.

Half of your salary would be about $630 a week on rent, big contributor to your struggle and if its crap I am "guessing" you are renting in a old inner suburb,

My advice, find a "quality" place to rent in a outer new estate suburb for around $350-400, yes you may have another 20 minute commute and maybe $30 more in commute costs if using public transport, but run the numbers you will be far ahead and just view the extra commute time as a few hours a week as overtime.

Half of your salary would be about $630 a week on rent, big contributor to your struggle and if its crap I am "guessing" you are renting in a old inner suburb,

My advice, find a "quality" place to rent in a outer new estate suburb for around $350-400, yes you may have another 20 minute commute and maybe $30 more in commute costs if using public transport, but run the numbers you will be far ahead and just view the extra commute time as a few hours a week as overtime.

yeah, I know this is an option but with 2 busy teens who need regular ferrying around, living in the sticks would be too time consuming for us at the moment. Still, only a year or so & they'll hopefully have licenses....

Hi,

Regards

Akshay

Mate, honestly there are plenty people out there living between the $50-60K mark. Admitadly I don't know Melbourne, but were on Sunny Coast, Qld which is super expensive too. Were family of four on about $54K (one of us has to stay home with two young children), yes we should be getting paid more due to our skills and background (has been hard to get skills recognised as equal here!). Don't know too many people who are on the $80k-$100K that seems to be the regular wage that people talk about on this website. It is a struggle until we get a dual income and we have to shop around, drive an average car and don't spend down the pub to often. But, having said that, we have no debts, no government handouts, live in a 3 bedroom house, put a little aside each week, have 2 happy, healthy kids, going on holiday soon!

To be honest, I see families waste a shitload of cash just to keep up appearances. Every couple has an iphone on super expensive contract, drives a snazzy car with a huge loan, spends on credit, has to have foxtel, pissing it up down the pub, eating out often. To some, these are essentials that make up their life- me I get by without! If you can do without all the trappings that burn your cash then you can get by until you are able to earn more. Believe me, were doing it and so are many others I know! Just letting you know it is possible mate, but as I said, don't know Melbourne so research is key. Good Luck Buddy!

Akshay

I think it will be a struggle on 50K, I also believe you are being offered below the 457 threshold.

It would help your cause if we knew what line of work you are in? You may be being offered a lot lower than what the going rate is for an Aussie worker. Do some research for the job you're going to do and remember you don't have to except the first offer they give you.

Also whilst I agree with people that say it is doable you need to factor in if you get Medicare whilst over here, if you don't you will have to pay medical insurance on top of your outgoings as well (which will be at least $170+ per month)

Archived