freecycle

tinaisrar

Just been watching this programme with kirsty allsop and how she transforms homes for free........god im surprised by what people give away for free. What a great way for people on little income or even when they move to Aus to get furniture.

I just had a look online at the site in my area and wow im surprised. I know some people may turn there noses up at obtaining unwanted stuff and wont entertain it in there own home, but oooo i love a bargain and have to say when i need something i will check out the site.

love a good bargain me, has anyone actually got some good stuff this way and had good experience in transforming there home this way?....i think its a fun and quirky way to do it

It's one of those quid pro quo things - you can use it to get rid of stuff rather than just bagging a bargain! We've certainly managed to give a lot away.

I think its great people like yourself give stuff away as you say saves time and hassle for you to, so good all round for both those receiving and giving x

I'm joined to my local freecycle on fb, it's pretty good! haven't given or gained anything from it though

im getting emails already with updates........it seems a popular thing this......i like it and actually will give now rather throw out to x

We used it a lot when we were in the UK, getting and giving away stuff. We signed up to the one here before we even left and got some stuff off it when we first arrived including a washing machine that's still going strong over a year later:wink:

Over here they could do a programme about the goodies you can get be verge surfing:biggrin:

We used it a lot when we were in the UK, getting and giving away stuff. We signed up to the one here before we even left and got some stuff off it when we first arrived including a washing machine that's still going strong over a year later:wink:

Over here they could do a programme about the goodies you can get be verge surfing:biggrin:

oooo really i think i will do that when im ready to come over as im leaving everything here not shipping anything. going with as many clothes in my suitcase as i can.......so will be handy x

We got loads of baby and toddler clothes (many brand new and unworn) via freecycle. You should be aware that freecycle is an American organisation and there have been some fallings out between some of the UK groups and the US. In response to what they see as unreasonabe behaviour, many UK groups (doing exactly the same thing) have re-launched themselves as "freegle", so if you are looking to either give things away, or take advantage of what others no longer need, google your local freegle. We got rid of a lot of stuff through them before coming out here. We were amazed by what people wanted - even broken things (which were apparently usable for science and technology projects). They are great sites :yes:

I used freecycle loads in the UK...here I find people less keen on the lower value stuff? Like older style TVs, put ours on...great quality perfect working order but no one wants them! Out of date now with slimline flat screen ones....bags of clothes used to go so quickly in the UK...not so here! Ive given as much as Ive received and it was a lot bigger in England but I did get some nice sheets, brilliant quality, never used, or washed once or something and some other bits and pieces...tv stand etc..passed on what we had now, like the tv's and tv stands, some furniture etc...its a great concept...I love it.

If you have children it can be great for swapping things like bikes to the next size up. Get a bigger bike, give the old one away. 3 years later, swap again. And they get to change the things they are bored of without wasting their old toys or spending heaps of cash. It's one of the most environmentally friendly schemes on earth and the people involved tend to be really friendly and helpful to each other.

If you have children it can be great for swapping things like bikes to the next size up. Get a bigger bike, give the old one away. 3 years later, swap again. And they get to change the things they are bored of without wasting their old toys or spending heaps of cash. It's one of the most environmentally friendly schemes on earth and the people involved tend to be really friendly and helpful to each other.

Haha that just remained me of OH going to a house in Perth to pick something up. He must a looked like a right down and out cos the lady also insisted he took a load of money off coupons that she had bless her

That's really kind of you Incata:biggrin: if your in a position to be able to do this then great.

at other times a few extra coins in your purse makes all the difference, especially with a growing family. Then bag it up and get it on a online site, or what I did a few times, do a car boot sale.

i love wondering round my local Sunday morning one

That's really kind of you Incata:biggrin: if your in a position to be able to do this then great.

at other times a few extra coins in your purse makes all the difference, especially with a growing family. Then bag it up and get it on a online site, or what I did a few times, do a car boot sale.

i love wondering round my local Sunday morning one

I haven't seen any car boot sales round where we live. Are they advertised in a local paper? We used to go to them a lot in the UK both to buy and sell.

I'm not sure if they are In the local paper. We have two on a Sunday within spitting distance and it was just obvious they were there.

all I can say is both of our close ones are held in the local shopping centres, from 6am to the shops opening at 11am.

They are both run by the Rotary club if that's any help. Maybe they have a list?

Archived