Bubble not yet burst, but quickly deflating!

Tipswell

And my point is that the citizens should try a bit harder because an employer is only going to hire the best candidate. WHV people make a lot of money for the country, we are essentially tourists after all. I got my job over Aussies in a group interview, because I was the best option.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe there are some professions that the average Aussie won't do.

For instance in Melbourne virtually every taxi driver is either Indian, Middle Eastern or Pakistani. It is quite rare to see a white anglo saxon taxi driver.

And overnight shifts in petrol stations seem to be staffed by Indians.

Just my observations.

Exactly the same in Perth. Although it is something that has built up in recent years. I can remember when most taxi drivers were Aussie born, or British or Italian or other European. It appears now to be mostly of the nationalities you name. I don't know why.

In Perth Indian students were being under paid in certain cases with regards certain petrol stations. Is it because they are prepared to work long hours for less money? Or that they are Indian managed and as such employ other Indian folk? I really don't know how these situations develop over a short period of time.

My wife teaches english to Indian immigrants - mainly the partners of. A number of the primary visa holders are driving taxis and it is now a simple case of who you know. Many have family already here that help put people getting jobs. I think there is also a element of being willing to do a lot of hours for little pay.

Exactly the same in Perth. Although it is something that has built up in recent years. I can remember when most taxi drivers were Aussie born, or British or Italian or other European. It appears now to be mostly of the nationalities you name. I don't know why.

In Perth Indian students were being under paid in certain cases with regards certain petrol stations. Is it because they are prepared to work long hours for less money? Or that they are Indian managed and as such employ other Indian folk? I really don't know how these situations develop over a short period of time.

I really don't agree with this, if Aussies can't get jobs they should maybe try a bit harder. Employees should hire people on ability. There is no such thing as 'job stealing'.

I have been lucky in getting a job so quickly but I took a big step down from what I was doing at home. I know that no company would hire me for a management role because of my work restrictions so I am grateful for the minimum wage job that I have, even though I wouldn't have applied for it at home.

Employers hire folk for many reasons and ability is only one reason. Of course there are folk put ahead of others who are prepared to work for less, or are more attractive, or smile at the boss the right way, or are from the old country, or just plain lucky.

My wife teaches english to Indian immigrants - mainly the partners of. A number of the primary visa holders are driving taxis and it is now a simple case of who you know. Many have family already here that help put people getting jobs. I think there is also a element of being willing to do a lot of hours for little pay.

I suspect you are right. A lot of the taxi drivers though that I've spoken to from the Sub Continent came as students and stayed on while others say they are engineers who can't get work in their field. Seems to attract these folk though. Same for Somali, small community in Perth, but many of them are taxi drivers. Not so with the more numerous Sudanese for some reason. Just observations.

Okay started something here. I have tried all cafes and bars in the immediate vicinity, am branching further out tomorrow. And take a look on SEEK, basically every other job says Australian citizens and residents need only apply.

My plan wasn't to travel around the country, I did that about 4 years, this was just to spend a year In a city I loved, working and living and experiencing a different way of life! Well it certainly is different!

A country should look after its own citizens first before giving jobs to temporary migrants. That is my point.

I a big pool of unemployed Australians there are bound to be suitable people available and these should get the jobs.

Otherwise the government is paying welfare to these Australians while a temporary visitor is in paid employment.

The solution should be for the government to drastically cut back these types of visas while unemployment is rising and increase them when unemployment falls.

It also pays as it will allow a general support for the immigration system to continue. Maintaining record immigration though at a time of economic downturn is pure lunacy not to say dangerous.

Government should be aware keeping incoming numbers high is not the solution to the economy, housing market or general well being of the nation.

Employers hire folk for many reasons and ability is only one reason. Of course there are folk put ahead of others who are prepared to work for less, or are more attractive, or smile at the boss the right way, or are from the old country, or just plain lucky.

Well in my experience I really was just the better option, don't mean to blow my own trumpet but I have a few years of experience within the same company in the UK which is more than any Aussie could possibly have since the company is brand new in Oz. not luck in my case, just 4 years of hard work back in the UK.

Okay started something here. I have tried all cafes and bars in the immediate vicinity, am branching further out tomorrow. And take a look on SEEK, basically every other job says Australian citizens and residents need only apply.

My plan wasn't to travel around the country, I did that about 4 years, this was just to spend a year In a city I loved, working and living and experiencing a different way of life! Well it certainly is different!

What city are you? Sydney I guess? I saw an add today outside a café in North Bridge, Perth (centre) advertising for a worker. The person that served my coffee was from Russia, here four months as husband has a study visa and other staff member sounded English. Looked a nice place to work being a book café.

Well in my experience I really was just the better option, don't mean to blow my own trumpet but I have a few years of experience within the same company in the UK which is more than any Aussie could possibly have since the company is brand new in Oz. not luck in my case, just 4 years of hard work back in the UK.

Must be that then. Although working for the minimum wage could you also have been the cheaper option?

Guest The Pom Queen

There are thousands of people who offer free accommodation for board and lodgings and I think these days this is the best option.

There are plenty of other states with job vacancies if you are willing to turn your hand to anything and go anywhere you will do well, but no it isn't the same as a few years back

If you r willing to work hard for min wage there is plenty jobs in sydney for whv...in my opinion..but u cant expect to b having nights out in the city every night though!

Please don't make assumptions about backpackers. I've been here 7 weeks and I've had one night out, and that night was to visit a friend who was just in Sydney for one day, and he bought me 2 glasses of wine, I didn't spend a penny except the bus there and back. And I would never work anything but hard, but I'm 28, not 18, I won't be treated like I have no rights and should work stupid hours for next to nothing. I truly find it unfathomable that there is no reciprocal agreement on how people are treated. 6months for 1 employer for minimum wage, or Australians who come to the uk on the same visa, who can work for 2 years with the same employer.

And the UK has been going through a recession too, actually more so than here, and it would be beyond comprehension for an employer to state only EU citizens and residents need apply.

Guest The Pom Queen
I won't be treated like I have no rights and should work stupid hours for next to nothing. .

Unfortunately this is where you are going wrong as there are plenty of others who will, even the Aussies.

Please don't make assumptions about backpackers. I've been here 7 weeks and I've had one night out, and that night was to visit a friend who was just in Sydney for one day, and he bought me 2 glasses of wine, I didn't spend a penny except the bus there and back. And I would never work anything but hard, but I'm 28, not 18, I won't be treated like I have no rights and should work stupid hours for next to nothing. I truly find it unfathomable that there is no reciprocal agreement on how people are treated. 6months for 1 employer for minimum wage, or Australians who come to the uk on the same visa, who can work for 2 years with the same employer.

And the UK has been going through a recession too, actually more so than here, and it would be beyond comprehension for an employer to state only EU citizens and residents need apply.

I think you are totally missing the point that you are in another country, with completely different ways of working to the UK! the reciprocal agreement is over being able to have WHV arrangement, how the actual nuts and bolts of it works are entirely unconnected. If you dont feel you are able to be paid what you are worth then this visa is probably not going to work for you as in most cases minimum wage work is all this visa opens opportunity for...

Guest The Pom Queen
Well then it looks like my time in this country is up. And unfortunately, I don't even know whether I will ever even come back on holiday. It's definitely not the country my grandmother loved so much she took Australian citizenship!

But you said you had only been in Sydney? How can you judge a full country based on one city, I can't even say state as I presume you haven't travelled throughout NSW looking for work. Its like visiting Bradford and saying you hate Paris because you had a bad time in Bradford.

I find job vacancies for numerous back packers so I know there is work available it just sounds like you are set in your ways and expect it to be like the UK. I wish you well in the future.

But you said you had only been in Sydney? How can you judge a full country based on one city, I can't even say state as I presume you haven't travelled throughout NSW looking for work. Its like visiting Bradford and saying you hate Paris because you had a bad time in Bradford.

I find job vacancies for numerous back packers so I know there is work available it just sounds like you are set in your ways and expect it to be like the UK. I wish you well in the future.

I've only been to Sydney this time. I spent 6 months travelling around Australia about 4/5 years ago, that was why when I came back this time on a working holiday visa I knew I wanted to spend an extended amount of time in Sydney! And I wasn't expecting it to be like the UK, that was the point, I was excited to try something new, around new people, and in a new country. I just may have been naive to think that I would be able to get a job other than minimum wage. But that's okay now, hearing the comments on this board tonight, I'll just move on. And I'll start again somewhere else, or maybe volunteer in SE Asia for a bit. But thank you for wishing me well.

Sorry to hear that! They do say that it isn't unusual to take up to 3 months to find a job, sadly many UK migrants just don't expect that! I'd suggest a move elsewhere if you can afford it - Melbourne probably rather than Brisbane orPerth at this stage though. Good luck whichever way you choose to jump!

Well then it looks like my time in this country is up. And unfortunately, I don't even know whether I will ever even come back on holiday. It's definitely not the country my grandmother loved so much she took Australian citizenship!

Jobs on a WHV are only supposed to supplement your travels, that's why I took a 'lesser' job than I had back home. I have not come here looking for a career because that is almost completely unachievable. I am sorry you feel this way because I think Sydney is amazing, I didn't come here expecting it to be like the UK.

I think your attitude is the problem here! You should be grateful to get ANY job! I suspect you're only applying for 9-5 jobs

Yes 9-5, but also bars, cafes, and recently hotel night shift work. I came on here, hoping to find some support because I'm upset and struggling, not to be attacked about my attitude. I see you're in the UK, and I' guessing coming over here soon, I genuinely wish you well and hope you have more luck than I have.

Yes 9-5, but also bars, cafes, and recently hotel night shift work. I came on here, hoping to find some support because I'm upset and struggling, not to be attacked about my attitude. I see you're in the UK, and I' guessing coming over here soon, I genuinely wish you well and hope you have more luck than I have.

Nope I didn't have any luck because i was too picky that's why i'm telling you off lol. Did do the wwoof work though which was great i think you should look into it.