Are the British upbeat about coming out of a recession?

jen85

Just want to get the thoughts of the some Brits about the general mood throughout the UK now your coming out of recession.

I would assume everyone is more upbeat and positive, I'd like to hear from people within the country instead of the news stories.

I wouldn't exactly say people are buzzing. But then, where I am, it hasn't been depressing. People watched their budgets a bit more maybe. But most people I know are working and doing fine. It's been a phoney recession in my neck of the woods. Don't know anyone that has bought a new car. The housing market seems to have picked up. Not rises so much, but there have been more houses for sale.

Just want to get the thoughts of the some Brits about the general mood throughout the UK now your coming out of recession.

I would assume everyone is more upbeat and positive, I'd like to hear from people within the country instead of the news stories.

no offence, but where do you get your data that the UK is coming out of recession? The economy may be evening out but that is far from saying that it is coming out. In fact the whole EU block is flat. The strongest economy, which I believe it is Germany, reported 0% growth for the last quarter if I recall it right? It just seems delusional a bit to say it is coming out of recession. Show me a rate of growth that surpasses the rate of inflation and I'll agree that it is coming out of recession.

no offence, but where do you get your data that the UK is coming out of recession? The economy may be evening out but that is far from saying that it is coming out. In fact the whole EU block is flat. The strongest economy, which I believe it is Germany, reported 0% growth for the last quarter if I recall it right? It just seems delusional a bit to say it is coming out of recession. Show me a rate of growth that surpasses the rate of inflation and I'll agree that it is coming out of recession.
How can you come out of a recession when your not in one ?

It is a fact that the UK economy is coming out of recession. It is not a subjective thing, it is based on statistics in respect to growth in the economy. That is not to say it won't go back into again at some stage, but the data does show that at the moment the economy has come out of recession. I personally would not expect the average man on the street to notice any kind of material difference immediately though, and to be fair the economy is only marginally out of recession, but still what the originally poster wrote is technically correct.

Well I wouldn't say its data as such, just what I have read in papers and what has been reported on the net. Because as I said in my original post, I wanted to hear from actual Brits about their views as the media can be lets say not accurate at the best of times. The UK economists have reported 0.6% growth but again not sure how accurate that actually is. I said nothing about the EU as I am talking about the UK. As I said just going off what has been reported...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23571579

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23584843

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23549550

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23446056

I think I read that they forecasted -3.7% growth but they actually achieved -3.4% so there is some improvement.

But you are totally right.

The Bank of England, the OECD, The office for national statistics all have data showing that the U.K is out of recession, the economy grew by 0.6 per cent in the 3 months to June, the BOE are predicting growth of 1.4% this year and 2.5% next year.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
The Bank of England, the OECD, The office for national statistics all have data showing that the U.K is out of recession, the economy grew by 0.6 per cent in the 3 months to June, the BOE are predicting growth of 1.4% this year and 2.5% next year.

Ignore them, they have predicted higher growth year on year and got it wrong everytime, every year they have to embarrassingly reduce their predictions, to very little growth at all. But .... I think this time it's different, I think there will be modest growth, nothing like what Australia has seen, but a bit of growth is far better than recession and no real growth for years. People aren't really upbeat just because there's a bit of growth, unemployment and low wages are still what's on offer, nothing's changed on that score and as for house prices starting to go up, they dropped a massive amount, so it's just heading nearer to what they were a few years ago. Things are slowly improving though, but nothing significant, there's still a lot of good well paid jobs going, being replaced by low paid, part time work, so a feel good factor is still a long way away and I havent had a pay rise in 5 years as a public sector worker and i don't expect one in the next few years.

Well I wouldn't say its data as such, just what I have read in papers and what has been reported on the net. Because as I said in my original post, I wanted to hear from actual Brits about their views as the media can be lets say not accurate at the best of times. The UK economists have reported 0.6% growth but again not sure how accurate that actually is. I said nothing about the EU as I am talking about the UK. As I said just going off what has been reported...

Numbers provided by this government are way off (by any government) after all they need to show results to have a chance for re-election. If one needs to measure growth that will always depend on which expert in whose pocket gives it. If you do not have consistent growth for 4 quarters, it is not recovery. The whole last year was up and down. I remember the government making a statement that we are out of recovery and the next quarter we heard that we are on a brink of falling back into double if not triple dip. Trust me, I too want it to be better. All I am saying is that is too early to call....

Friend from Ipswich Suffolk posted this on Facebook. Interesting article, there forecasts seem to be accurate over a period of time. Places around Suffolk are still in not good, my wife's family and my family and friends have had enough by the sounds of it on every Skype chat and Facebook posts.

This is the link , hope there isn't much truth to it though. I'm heading back over uk at Christmas.

http://moneyweek.com/endofbritain/

Friend from Ipswich Suffolk posted this on Facebook. Interesting article, there forecasts seem to be accurate over a period of time. Places around Suffolk are still in not good, my wife's family and my family and friends have had enough by the sounds of it on every Skype chat and Facebook posts.

This is the link , hope there isn't much truth to it though. I'm heading back over uk at Christmas.

http://moneyweek.com/endofbritain/

Thanks for posting the link. I've got it by email few months ago but couldn't find it.

It's scary!

Numbers provided by this government are way off (by any government) after all they need to show results to have a chance for re-election. If one needs to measure growth that will always depend on which expert in whose pocket gives it. If you do not have consistent growth for 4 quarters, it is not recovery. The whole last year was up and down. I remember the government making a statement that we are out of recovery and the next quarter we heard that we are on a brink of falling back into double if not triple dip. Trust me, I too want it to be better. All I am saying is that is too early to call....

Hi again.

Technically was is being reported is correct. We are out of a recession for now. Also, the government are not the only ones that report data. The markets react to data also and there is optimism in that space also that we are on the slow road to recovery. Of course something could happen tomorrow that throws everything back to square one again, but based on available data the economy is out of recession and appears to be on the path to recovery.

The statement that we are out of recession is a statement of fact, it is not a subjective statement.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi again.

Technically was is being reported is correct. We are out of a recession for now. Also, the government are not the only ones that report data. The markets react to data also and there is optimism in that space also that we are on the slow road to recovery. Of course something could happen tomorrow that throws everything back to square one again, but based on available data the economy is out of recession and appears to be on the path to recovery.

The statement that we are out of recession is a statement of fact, it is not a subjective statement.

George Osborne said recently that the UK economy is out of Intensive Care and creeping in to recovery. We haven't been in recession for quite awhile, but neither has there been any real growth in the economy for the last 5 years. There appears to be a slight improvement in the UK economy, that's what we are being told, but no one I know is upbeat about it, which was the question asked.

George Osborne said recently that the UK economy is out of Intensive Care and creeping in to recovery. We haven't been in recession for quite awhile, but neither has there been any real growth in the economy for the last 5 years. There appears to be a slight improvement in the UK economy, that's what we are being told, but no one I know is upbeat about it, which was the question asked.

I replied to someone who was questioning the fact that we were out of a recession, which we are.

my pals and family in the UK very large family are all happy enough, all working bar 2 who gave up, all the news I caught on tv and papers all are positive so ignore those who constantly put the uk down. couple of friends and family have been here and stayed a while both families independently said yes, nice but very bland and would not visit again but glad they can say they visited oz, they make the best of everything in the uk and live life in the now rather than looking to what they might have.

but yes all upbeat in the UK, they liked the heat and hope for a snowy white xmas

jen ....i will have some genuine answers tomorrow .......playing golf with a senior manager for a national building company ......sounds posh , it aint .......there will be more pi55 taking than golf ....he will tell me straight

just announced construction up 1.9% year on year for 2013 on the telle

like few have said ....i havent seen a recession , in fact i have been busy all through it ....it was noticeable 2008 - 11 ......motorways were a lot quieter .......rammed again now

irish mate of mine , does the groundworks for new builds .....had 4 quotes on monay alone ........he had some quieter times , but never ground to a halt ......

okay, if one looks at the definition below, every aspect is present in today's Britain. Getting better but I still wouldn't say we are out. And if anyone denies we were not in recession they need to open their eyes. You cannot measure with the Market which reacts to anything and everything. All I see is that stores still close on the high street and people not finding jobs. My money keeps buying less and less. But believe what you want...

In economics, a recession is a business cycle contraction, a general slowdown in economic activity.[1][2] Macroeconomic indicators such as GDP, employment, investment spending, capacity utilization, household income, business profits, and inflation fall, while bankruptcies and theunemployment rate rise.

Archived