Are the British upbeat about coming out of a recession?

jen85

okay, if one looks at the definition below, every aspect is present in today's Britain. Getting better but I still wouldn't say we are out. And if anyone denies we were not in recession they need to open their eyes. You cannot measure with the Market which reacts to anything and everything. All I see is that stores still close on the high street and people not finding jobs. My money keeps buying less and less. But believe what you want...

In economics, a recession is a business cycle contraction, a general slowdown in economic activity.[1][2] Macroeconomic indicators such as GDP, employment, investment spending, capacity utilization, household income, business profits, and inflation fall, while bankruptcies and theunemployment rate rise.

Hi

I am not really trying to argue with you, but you cannot really claim that we are in recession, because all of the data says we are not. This data is widely accepted by industry, our government, international governments and various highly qualified people who know what they are talking about.

It may be the case that many people still feel like we are in recession because it is not like the economy is booming, or that the good times are firmly back again, but from a factual perspective it is 100% true that at this moment in time our economy is not in recession. It could dip back in again I grant you, but at the moment all of the most significant economic indicators are suggesting that we are at the start of a recovery period and that we are most certainly not in a technical position of recession (as your definition would explain).

So maybe it does feel like recession is still here to some, but at a macro level the economy is not in recession.

George Osborne said recently that the UK economy is out of Intensive Care and creeping in to recovery. We haven't been in recession for quite awhile, but neither has there been any real growth in the economy for the last 5 years. There appears to be a slight improvement in the UK economy, that's what we are being told, but no one I know is upbeat about it, which was the question asked.

you really dont get it hoff , do you ?.....do you realise the mess we were left in ? .........i thought 20 years minimum .....thank god for the attraction of london to the world

you really dont get it hoff , do you ?.....do you realise the mess we were left in ? .........i thought 20 years minimum .....thank god for the attraction of london to the world

People do visit other places than london you know.. Im always seeing tourists here

I think we are! Going all over the place! I can't wait!

Wish i was joining you! I need to do a big UK tour someday, havent even saw that much of scotland, not right up north anyway.

Just saw on the news a min ago that they think the edinburgh pandas might be expecting a baby within the next few weeks - go see them lol

Ignore them, they have predicted higher growth year on year and got it wrong everytime, every year they have to embarrassingly reduce their predictions, to very little growth at all. But .... I think this time it's different, I think there will be modest growth, nothing like what Australia has seen, but a bit of growth is far better than recession and no real growth for years. People aren't really upbeat just because there's a bit of growth, unemployment and low wages are still what's on offer, nothing's changed on that score and as for house prices starting to go up, they dropped a massive amount, so it's just heading nearer to what they were a few years ago. Things are slowly improving though, but nothing significant, there's still a lot of good well paid jobs going, being replaced by low paid, part time work, so a feel good factor is still a long way away and I havent had a pay rise in 5 years as a public sector worker and i don't expect one in the next few years.

Stop moaning, the sun is shining ;)

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Theres nothing to get, the last useless inept and incompetent Labour government almost bankrupted the UK and this horrible Tory government are hammering the working man as usual, only this time they have a good reason to do so, which is to get the UK out of recession and to try and pay off the £1 Trillion pounds of debt.

Just want to get the thoughts of the some Brits about the general mood throughout the UK now your coming out of recession.

I would assume everyone is more upbeat and positive, I'd like to hear from people within the country instead of the news stories.

Only read the op,cba reading the rest tbh,busy busy busy....im cautiously optimistic that theres more work about,in fact deffo is,compared to a yr or so ago,still lower rates/prices than then,but its picking up i think/hope!(touchwood)

Archived