Unemployment in Australia

paul1977

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's to hit 6% by the end of the year.. Just watched it on the news

Well, take heart. It's not like it's a foregone conclusion, like a high tide or something. And that's a national figure, I assume. So each area won't be affected the same. And within a geographical area not all trades will be equally affected. Of course, rising unemployment is no cause for celebration, but Australia isn't immune from natural economic cycles so we're going to have accept that there are downs as well as ups.

The finance, legal, accounting and service sector are winding down. I know this from a friend who works in a large Bank as a Solicitor and told me the other day it was getting harder to find a job. Also another person I know who does freelance contracts in IT is finding the jobs fewer than before.

Of course we have the election and once the uncertainty has gone who knows things might pick up.

Stacy most of the people who do work in the hospitality industry are Aus anyway as they have to have the relevant bits of paper, police checks etc and most want experience especially in gaming. Backpackers seem to get call centre, and agri work.

One thing im wondering - does the unemployment affect backpacker jobs. Might sound a stupid question but what i mean is if more locals are going to be unemployed will they not take jobs such as bar staff etc that WHV people were more likely to look for

The backpacker type jobs are also getting harder to find. A friend of mine was laid off from his job in mining. He was my opposite number. After spending ages trying to get a new mining job and failing, he decided to just get anything. But even that has taken him ages. He finally got one this week but it's only minimum wage.

The backpacker type jobs are also getting harder to find. A friend of mine was laid off from his job in mining. He was my opposite number. After spending ages trying to get a new mining job and failing, he decided to just get anything. But even that has taken him ages. He finally got one this week but it's only minimum wage.

Maybe they thought he was over qualified? You would have thought a job overseas would have been more attractive than labouring....

Maybe they thought he was over qualified? You would have thought a job overseas would have been more attractive than labouring....

Unfortunately he can not do overseas work at the moment as his wife is undergoing treatment for cancer and they have a young family. Also, international FIFO isn't as easy to get as people think. There is one of them crazy annoying paradoxes in work for geologists in places like Africa where employers insist on "African experience". It is also highly limited for people in Oz as most companies prefer people to be based in Europe because of flight costs - my flight is nearly $10k return. Would be half from Europe.

Unfortunately he can not do overseas work at the moment as his wife is undergoing treatment for cancer and they have a young family.

This is probably the biggest factor in why a man with two degrees and a masters is having trouble finding work - he is limited to working in one place..

The finance, legal, accounting and service sector are winding down. I know this from a friend who works in a large Bank as a Solicitor and told me the other day it was getting harder to find a job. Also another person I know who does freelance contracts in IT is finding the jobs fewer than before.

Of course we have the election and once the uncertainty has gone who knows things might pick up.

Stacy most of the people who do work in the hospitality industry are Aus anyway as they have to have the relevant bits of paper, police checks etc and most want experience especially in gaming. Backpackers seem to get call centre, and agri work.

Really? Everytime i see a whv job post its telling people to go for bar and waitressing work unless they are specifically looking for their 2nd year visa

The figures out today paint a pretty dire picture. In the last six months in WA there have been 6000 new full time positions. But the population increased 68000.

Or you could look at it like the 68,000 people that came in managed to find jobs and somehow they managed to find 6,000 more new full time positions. The unemployment rate in WA is 4.6% judging by the latest figures I can find and it actually fell by 0.3%. The "experts" had a hard job explaining that one as they had all predicted a rise.

It's to hit 6% by the end of the year.. Just watched it on the news

It's forecast to hit 6%, whether it does or not is another thing. Will you feel better, along with VS and all the others that's been prediciting doom and gloom for the past couple of years? Keep at it, you'll be right one day then I expect we'll get a "told you so" post.

Try visiting a few restaurants and pubs around King Cross and Potts Point. Nearly all the staff are backpackers. Quite nice to get a French, or some other foreign accent from the waitress. Few of the dishes weren't what we ordered but they were doing there best.

>>>>The figures out today paint a pretty dire picture. In the last six months in WA there have been 6000 new full time positions. But the population increased 68000.

Or you could look at it like the 68,000 people that came in managed to find jobs and somehow they managed to find 6,000 more new full time positions. The unemployment rate in WA is 4.6% judging by the latest figures I can find and it actually fell by 0.3%. The "experts" had a hard job explaining that one as they had all predicted a rise.

But that's not what the figures mean. The net result was that although 6000 new FTPs were created, the population (not necessarily working population!) increased by 68000. This means that 62000 new people are unemployed. This causes the %age unemployed to increase.

On the bright side, if WA stops all migrants, their unemployment figure will decrease rapidly. So it's not like their economy is contracting. It's just not growing to keep pace with migration.

Yeah, it is tricky to work out what that unemployment rate implies.

I would say:

- New hired paid slightly less,

- Decent jobs harder to be found,

- More short term and contractors, possibly more temping

- More difficult for one-income families to pay all the bills

- Some more job cuts here and there

- Recruiters doing more and more checklist-ticking work when screening candidates.

Some people will not even notice any differences, some others suddenly will have to compete with hundreds of other candidates and panic.

Just think positive, act positive and look positive :cool:

(at least try very hard to!)

Archived