457 visa

The 457 does hold some issues. Holding this visa means that you have the right to live and work in Oz for the length of time stated.

If you were to loose your job and were unable to find another employer willing to take over the sponsorship, you have 90 days to leave the country.

I think as long as you realise the above and do plenty of research on the company you will be working for its fine, if poss try and talk to people already working there.

I arrived last August as the OH of a 457 visa holder. Last month we were granted PR status, so less than a year, but we could have lodged earlier if we had wanted.

The pros for this visa for us were, no large upfront visa fees, just the cost of shipping a few personal items. A fast processing time. Earning a wage straight away, so again doing away with the need for a large amount of savings to tide you over while you job hunt. Basically the opportunity to come and live in Oz first to either see if its somewhere you would like to stay or you can use it just to try somewhere different for a couple of years or so.

The visa has its doubters for sure but plenty of people like us have been able to use it as a stepping stone towards PR without a lot of the rigmorale of skills assessments, Ielts etc. although that may depend on what job you are doing here.

As fifi has mentioned. It is a temp visa - more lime a work permit. There are significant issues you need to be aware of that fifi has mentioned. It is tied to the employer and if you need to find a new employer either through redundancy or because you don't like them, then you also need the new employer to sponsor. That can be hard to find.

You can apply for PR any time you want if you qualify. The one advantage of the 457 is that after two years you are exempt from the skills assessment.

I arrived last August as the OH of a 457 visa holder. Last month we were granted PR status, so less than a year, but we could have lodged earlier if we had wanted.

fifi69

Hi I arrived roughly the same time as you and was wondering what your visa transition scheme was? I was planing to wait for the two years, then apply but if there is another way that is not going to cost a lot more money I would consider trying that.

Hi, verystormy has hit the nail on the head. It is a working permit and a good way to try out the country/state before you decide whether to commit longer term. The downside is the lack of security and being tied to the one employer. I have held work permits in various countries before and I have never felt as insecure in a job (on 457 at the moment) than in Australia. Perhaps it is the work culture here but employers seem to have a less sense of responsibility towards the employees they recruit from overseas compared to the other countries I have been in. As in, they would be happy to dismiss the employee without any prior notice (apart from what is stated in contract) and without a single thought of the repercussions on the person's family. There are a lot of cases of redundancies after only a few months of 457. To me, it is socially irresponsible (yes, I know they have every right to and it is the individual's risk) to recruit from overseas if you know your business is in trouble.

fifi69

Hi I arrived roughly the same time as you and was wondering what your visa transition scheme was? I was planing to wait for the two years, then apply but if there is another way that is not going to cost a lot more money I would consider trying that.

it was the 187 regional

The 457 does hold some issues. Holding this visa means that you have the right to live and work in Oz for the length of time stated.

If you were to loose your job and were unable to find another employer willing to take over the sponsorship, you have 90 days to leave the country.

I think as long as you realise the above and do plenty of research on the company you will be working for its fine, if poss try and talk to people already working there.

The pros for this visa for us were, no large upfront visa fees, just the cost of shipping a few personal items. A fast processing time. Earning a wage straight away, so again doing away with the need for a large amount of savings to tide you over while you job hunt. Basically the opportunity to come and live in Oz first to either see if its somewhere you would like to stay or you can use it just to try somewhere different for a couple of years or so.

The visa has its doubters for sure but plenty of people like us have been able to use it as a stepping stone towards PR without a lot of the rigmorale of skills assessments, Ielts etc. although that may depend on what job you are doing here.

Thanks for your response, so if I did go for it, when is the quickest I can starp applying for the PR

Julie

Thanks for your response, so if I did go for it, when is the quickest I can starp applying for the PR

Julie

You can apply for the invitation to apply for PR anytime if you qualify for it in your own right. If you want to be sponsored by the employer, then it is after being with the employer for 2 years under the current rules. The latter I believe remove the requirement for skills assessment.

Julie

You should disassociate the two. The 457 is not a step you need to take before you can apply for a permanent visa, many people go straight for the permanent visa. If that is what you want to do then skip the 457 and focus on skilled migrant route.

There is no guarantee that the temporary visa will lead to PR at all. It may, it may not. The other downside is if you have kids you don't get some of the benefits that families can get and in some states (NSW and ACT) you could be up for thousands of dollars in school fees (NSW $5kpa and ACT could be $10k pa per child). Another "watch out" is the issue of reciprocity of medical care. Medicare will cover you for what is deemed "necessary" medical intervention but some things which you might consider necessary might not be deemed necessary by the bean counters - you can cover this with private health insurance of course but that is an added cost. Another issue also mentioned frequently on this, and other, boards is the difficulty that dependents encounter when trying to get employment - some f,olk have found it impossible to even get a foot in the door.

if you have the skills to go for a PR visa then that would be the way to go - a 457 is not migrating

The other downside is if you have kids you don't get some of the benefits that families can get and in some states (NSW and ACT) you could be up for thousands of dollars in school fees (NSW $5kpa and ACT could be $10k pa per child).

You forgot to mention WA will be charging $4000 per child from Jan 2014 and I'm sure the other states will be looking a bit of the action as well

You forgot to mention WA will be charging $4000 per child from Jan 2014 and I'm sure the other states will be looking a bit of the action as well

Only just saw that! Other states will definitely follow - its been on the cards for ages

Archived