Air Con in Schools

Nikey

Guest Guest26012

No, not all schools. My friend and other parents are raising money to have it installed in some parts of their school that don't have it yet.

Guest The Pom Queen

All the ones my children have been to have had aircon but I don't think anyone could answer whether ALL schools in Queensland do have it.

I don't think the kids primary school had aircon in many rooms. The kids never mentioned it though and they both liked their school. Most of the building have big trees and a lot of shade around them. Used to like going over to see them doing the open air service in the morning before they started school. I think they had a running session before school too where the kids had to run round the oval for 10 minutes or so. Used to think that was a good idea, burn a bit of energy off before they got in class.

Guest The Pom Queen

OP it may be best if you tell us the area you re thinking as probably the further North in Queensland you go the more likely schools are to be air conditioned.

Oh ok, seems like they don't all have it but it is not a problem. Probably good building design and trees as mentioned before. I only asked because in the recent heat we had in the uk, the classrioms were terribly hot....but then they are really small rooms with big windows!

Thanks for your replies :-)

Guest The Pom Queen
Oh ok, seems like they don't all have it but it is not a problem. Probably good building design and trees as mentioned before. I only asked because in the recent heat we had in the uk, the classrioms were terribly hot....but then they are really small rooms with big windows!

Thanks for your replies :-)

A lot of schools in Queensland and Victoria have extended the schools with porta cabins as classrooms you usually find these do have aircon installed.

OP it may be best if you tell us the area you re thinking as probably the further North in Queensland you go the more likely schools are to be air conditioned.

Sunny coast but cant be more specific than that. Maybe peregian but not sure....

Thanks

Guest The Pom Queen
Sunny coast but cant be more specific than that. Maybe peregian but not sure....

Thanks

Hopefully someone can help, I know the Sunshine Coast High School does

TBH I found the actual school buildings, teachers and the way kids are taught very odd at first,lol, not in a bad way just totally different to what 'we' are used to. I couldnt believe there was no canteen, just a tuck shop instead...No showers after PE, despite the heat,, infact no uniform change as most kids wear their sports uniform every day anyway.... but now im a few years in ,its just normal and the way things are done here..

Cal x

we didnt have any in our school. u must get used to the heat as I don't remember it being an issue. why would u want to sit in a canteen when u can be outside enjoy the outdoors :)

LOL, Totally agree ,now,,lol but i didnt 'get it' when i had just arrived and had my 'in the UK head on',,lol

Cal x

we didnt have any in our school. u must get used to the heat as I don't remember it being an issue. why would u want to sit in a canteen when u can be outside enjoy the outdoors :)

I thought the Aussies were so paranoid about the sun that they would keep them out of it in the middle of the day - these are all the things you don't see / learn when you are a backpacker. Thanks for info.

I thought the Aussies were so paranoid about the sun that they would keep them out of it in the middle of the day - these are all the things you don't see / learn when you are a backpacker. Thanks for info.

You might be surprised about that! The school does make them wear their hats but that's about it.

We even had a problem about the school letting my son take it sunscreen at first - they said he wasn't allowed in case someone, who was allergic, got into his bag!

I fought the corner and won. Just afterwards all the Prep classrooms put sunscreen in too so I reckon the school realised they weren't doing the right thing.

You might be surprised about that! The school does make them wear their hats but that's about it.

We even had a problem about the school letting my son take it sunscreen at first - they said he wasn't allowed in case someone, who was allergic, got into his bag!

I fought the corner and won. Just afterwards all the Prep classrooms put sunscreen in too so I reckon the school realised they weren't doing the right thing.

That IS surprising! Glad they saw sense in the end...

A lot of schools in Queensland and Victoria have extended the schools with porta cabins as classrooms you usually find these do have aircon installed.

Sorry PomQueen, they don't! My understanding is by law rooms with computer equipment must have air con. Lucky machines! Elsewhere it comes down to $$$. My husb works in a government school thats had money thrown at it for building and refurbishment and even they don't have air con in all portables. My school has fans that circulate hot air in summer. Its the luck of the draw. Theres no hard and fast rule.

Nikey - where are you from in Brighton? We come from there and I taught at Varndean for years till we left in 99! Small world!

No they don't.

Depends half the time if they are near the coast....Officials (in their air conditioned offices) determine that a 'coastal breeze' will keep everyone cool in the heat :no:

Therefore a lot of schools fundraise to put air con in.

Guest The Pom Queen
Sorry PomQueen, they don't!

That's why I put usually :wink: The schools I have dealt with did with portacabins did, obviously I don't get around all the schools in Queensland and Victoria although had a good go lol

When I was on the P&C at my sons old primary I remember the Government were giving grants for air con and we were told our " cool your school " initiative would no longer be needed. Looks like that's not national then? Private schools tend to all have them here not sure about other states .

We are lucky

Our school has just had all remaining classrooms fitted with air con from freak government surplus funding which was rolled out to some private schools. It allowed us to put in 12 extra units. Before that it could be as much as 45 degrees inside which wasn't really an ideal learning place, and tough to work in.

Millie

Crikey!! That is horrendous. Someone else said the kids go home when it reaches 40 - that seems really hot too.

Sorry PomQueen, they don't! My understanding is by law rooms with computer equipment must have air con. Lucky machines! Elsewhere it comes down to $$$. My husb works in a government school thats had money thrown at it for building and refurbishment and even they don't have air con in all portables. My school has fans that circulate hot air in summer. Its the luck of the draw. Theres no hard and fast rule.

Nikey - where are you from in Brighton? We come from there and I taught at Varndean for years till we left in 99! Small world!

I live in Broadwater, Worthing but just say Brighton because it's easier - where did u live? And where are you now? My brother lives in Brighton in Melbourne weirdly!

Archived