shoe string

KIRK AND CO

It is so upsetting when you read threads of families going out with hardly any budget & with the mindset oz is a savour for them. I know this will be boring to do but you have to save save save do research till it is coming out of your ears, your family is so precious why blow it by rushing it. Will admit I saved a 6 figure some to go but left it to late so you can take it too far.

If I wanted advice about emigration, I would go to someone who has done it. By your own admission, your strategy didn't work and you are no longer considering emigrating.

What matters is finding income, not having savings. If you don't find a job then you will erode even substantial six figure savings. On the other hand, if you research your employment prospects and know you should be able to find work quickly, then you can emigrate on a lot less.

I do agree, though, that emigration is hugely expensive and should not be done lightly - especially with kids in tow.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I wanted advice about emigration, I would go to someone who has done it. By your own admission, your strategy didn't work and you are no longer considering emigrating.

What matters is finding income, not having savings. If you don't find a job then you will erode even substantial six figure savings. On the other hand, if you research your employment prospects and know you should be able to find work quickly, then you can emigrate on a lot less.

I do agree, though, that emigration is hugely expensive and should not be done lightly - especially with kids in tow.

Yes it did not workout for me but it gave me a much rosier future because of it. Why can I not give advice dont members on here need a picture of all the sides good or bad whos made it & those who did not. If you only ask the ones who have made it I expect you will only get the answer from most is what you want to here & blot out the negative ones.

Yes it did not workout for me but it gave me a much rosier future because of it. Why can I not give advice dont members on here need a picture of all the sides good or bad whos made it & those who did not. If you only ask the ones who have made it I expect you will only get the answer from most is what you want to here & blot out the negative ones.

Had your advice been to not do as you did, that could be valid. But instead, you told people to follow your approach, but not take it as far. I think that's overstepping the mark. All we can infer from your experience is how not to do it (despite your being on here for years telling people your approach was the only correct way). i think you're no longer in a position to tell people how to do it - not that I think you ever were.

As someone who did make the move over three years ago, all I can do is tell people about how it was for me, given my particular circumstances in 2009-10. Other people are in different situations at different times. They may well find different - perhaps better - ways to do things than me.

Had your advice been to not do as you did, that could be valid. But instead, you told people to follow your approach, but not take it as far. I think that's overstepping the mark. All we can infer from your experience is how not to do it (despite your being on here for years telling people your approach was the only correct way). i think you're no longer in a position to tell people how to do it - not that I think you ever were.

As someone who did make the move over three years ago, all I can do is tell people about how it was for me, given my particular circumstances in 2009-10. Other people are in different situations at different times. They may well find different - perhaps better - ways to do things than me.

you seem set on knocking me down so do your best if that is what gets you motivated but you do make yourself look a bit of a dick by doing it.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We would have about £250,000 to take with us, but I think for those who have very little here in the UK and are struggling like a lot of people are, then the risk of trying Australia is minimal. We all have different circumstances and who's to say which way is right, or wrong.

to be honest, you can research as much as u like, we both had jobs on the demand list, but it took me three months to find a job I did 15 years ago, on $17 an hour, it all looks great on paper but you are up against people with 'local experience' blah blah. We came, thought we could both find well paid jobs easily, for me, not the case.

It's a difficult question to answer; how much funds to bring, or to have in reserve. My own yardstick was 6 months bread and water rations. If it doesn't pan out by then, you probably should look somewhere else. Anybody who comes with less than 1 months funding is risking a cold shower. There's plenty of people who'll tell you about their uncle who came here with 25 quid in his pocket, but those stories are really from yesteryear. Anybody who posts on this forum who has arrived later than 2010 is far more valuable than experiences from 2000-2008. That's why the reports from recent arrivals are golden.

Guest Guest66881

Hoffie mate if that is what you would be bringing it would set you up nicely, but you would still need a mortgage, depends where you would be moving to and then what suburb etc.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hoffie mate if that is what you would be bringing it would set you up nicely, but you would still need a mortgage, depends where you would be moving to and then what suburb etc.

Cheers for that, when the dollar was at nearly $2.5 to £1 we would have had over $600,000 which would have bought us a cracking house over there, but due to the UK going in to recession and economic malaise for the last few years, the pounds crashed against all major currencies, especially the Oz dollar and it hasn't helped that Australia has been booming over the same period.

Guest Guest66881

We came over as it dropped, bit the bullet so to speak (had to) still managed to get on and find a house we never dreamed of owning.

Guest The Pom Queen
Cheers for that, when the dollar was at nearly $2.5 to £1 we would have had over $600,000 which would have bought us a cracking house over there, but due to the UK going in to recession and economic malaise for the last few years, the pounds crashed against all major currencies, especially the Oz dollar and it hasn't helped that Australia has been booming over the same period.

House prices have jumped since you were last here Hoff, depending on where you are settling $600k wouldn't buy you as much.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
We came over as it dropped, bit the bullet so to speak (had to) still managed to get on and find a house we never dreamed of owning.

Well mate, things are starting to change a little, after years of stagnation in the UKs economy things are starting to pick up and the dollars creeping back up towards $2 so we might still get near to $500,000 and the earliest we can get there, is about this time next year, so hopefully it's near the $2 mark by then.

Guest Guest66881

Trouble is mate, like the boss just said - house prices here just keep going up and up EVERYWHERE.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
House prices have jumped since you were last here Hoff, depending on where you are settling $600k wouldn't buy you as much.

We have looked at houses in and around Hammond park, just below Murdoch in WA and for this amount we can get a great house, it's not far from Freemantle as well and not that far to the city.

Guest The Pom Queen
We have looked at houses in and around Hammond park, just below Murdoch in WA and for this amount we can get a great house, it's not far from Freemantle as well and not that far to the city.

I'm surprised as everyone says Perth is expensive but that's great news if you can still get something without a mortgage.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I'm surprised as everyone says Perth is expensive but that's great news if you can still get something without a mortgage.

Only if the dollar goes up, lol.

If it stays the same, or goes back down again, then we have to look at getting a HUGE loan because we will only be working for another ten years tops and this is just one of a number of issues we have to take in to account.

Only if the dollar goes up, lol.

If it stays the same, or goes back down again, then we have to look at getting a HUGE loan because we will only be working for another ten years tops and this is just one of a number of issues we have to take in to account.

You'll do it Jim or compromise a bit move a little further out your money will get loads, especially if you build from scratch.

Hammond Park , be reet at home Dewsbury by the sea

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hammond Park , be reet at home Dewsbury by the sea

That'll do me fella me lad, I'm used to being a minority citizen.

we have to look at getting a HUGE loan because we will only be working for another ten years tops

That sounds a bit worrying. Normally large loans and restricted payback periods don't gel well with bank managers. Obviously I've got no idea about your circumstances, but have you got some pension stashed away already which you're not using as moving capital? Otherwise, how will working for 10 years tops become a reality?

BTW, I've got no magic bullet, at the rate I'm going I'll be working til I drop.

I agree. I think that unless a person has a definite job to go to, that it is wise to have at least six months' cost of living in savings just in case jobs etc don't work out that quickly, especially if a person has children going with them etc. Admittedly it's not much fun to see savings disappearing, but it's better that than having to give up on the dream of living in Oz and having to go back after a couple of months (again, at more expense) because there are not enough savings to tide one through.

It costs big bucks to move country and get set up in a new place, so to have some savings in reserve is only sensible.

This is a very sensible suggestion. We were lucky that my husband got the first job that he went for. We thought I would get work easily, but 6 months down the line I have still not got anything and if we had been reliant on me getting a job we would now (6 months down the line) be in trouble and now at the point of trying out Sydney or Melbourne.

It's only hard if you come over with the belief that it's like a soap opera here and jobs just land at your feet and every day is glorious, was it like that from where you left? I doubt it so why think here is any different, you will need some money and you will need to realise very quickly that what you have managed to bring across will not last that long, we was lucky with house sale and had saved for years before we finally got on the plane, we had accommodation set up before we flew out.

The job thing happens differently here also, it takes an eternity to get replies most of the time you get nothing.

Also think about your skill set, it might not be 'ok' within the Aussie system and you could well be looking at retraining to survive and assimilate into a different culture, this is not home and away by a long shot.

For me the jobs market was the biggest shock, and one I was totally unprepared for. I have not struggled to get work in the UK for years and while I expected it to take a while, I did not expect that 6 months down the line I would still be struggling to get even an interview. I did watch the jobs boards and jobs regularly came up which I could do. However, I did not factor in how many people in my profession were made redundant at the back end of last year, which puts me right to the back of the queue because I have no local experience, and that seems to be what they want. Recruitment agencies tell me that if we had got here 18 months ago I would have been snapped up with no problem, which makes it even more frustrating!

I think if you wait a bit things will get better for those making the move from the UK. The dollar is on its way down so selling a UK house or just using UK pounds will then afford everything much easier.

We have been here almost a year and things are only starting to settle down, I wouldn't even entertain a thought of buying a place or taking out car finance yet. Its early days

We took cash and had a job to go to (no job then no go - that was my insurance). We spent all what we earned in the first few months but we can sell it and fund setting up back in the UK if it goes pear shaped.

Go for the coast mate. Walking distance, doesn't have to be right on it, 10 minute walk and we are there. Gives us the option of walking and having a drink in a beautiful setting and not having to drive. You could still set yourself up close to the coast, in a nice suburb, with those funds. More for the kids to do too, don't need transport all the time.

Archived