shoe string

KIRK AND CO

I think you can 'overthink' and 'overplan' your emigration. Of course you need to have a modicum of sense and the means to live for a few months but really many would never ever get here if they went to the lengths some are talking about. I have found those who do very well here invariably came with nothing or next to nothing- damn good incentive for one thing.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have found those who do very well here invariably came with nothing or next to nothing- damn good incentive for one thing.

Well yes, sink or swim. The thing is, you only ever get to see the ones who swam. So it's hard to judge what percentage made it against those who didn't. And for the people who didn't, what was the reason?

Some reasons for success remain constant; motivation to work hard, being flexible, and enduring a few hardships. But I would maintain that it's harder now financially than ever before. Partly because we all have so much more "things" to replace when we get here, which is our own fault. But also because the cost of living is genuinely more expensive than before. We're coming off the back of 20 years of growth which has given cost of living rises a fair bit of momentum. Inevitably, jobs growth has now slowed, meaning there'll be a fair bit of belt-tightening to be done over the next couple of years.

It doesn't mean we're about to enter a UK style recession, it's just that you have to verify your sources and plan a bit more room for manoeuvring if things don't happen the way you might have been led to believe. Australians are notoriously optimistic, which is nice, but as a migrant, especially if you're bringing a family in tow, you have to be realistic.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Go for the coast mate. Walking distance, doesn't have to be right on it, 10 minute walk and we are there. Gives us the option of walking and having a drink in a beautiful setting and not having to drive. You could still set yourself up close to the coast, in a nice suburb, with those funds. More for the kids to do too, don't need transport all the time.

We currently live 100km in land so living a few minutes car drive away from the coast would be fantastic. Obviously it would be great to live nearer like you say, but the cost of housing zooms up the nearer to the beach you are.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
We can walk to the beach but don't cause we always have too much stuff! Even the esky is too heavy to walk with haha

We love riding the waves with the boogie boards and I would want to take up surfing, so that's another reason for not needing to be in walking distance, like you say it's a lot to carry, but if you have a dog and you can just walk to the beach or the coastline for the incredible views, I can imagine it's magical.

We love riding the waves with the boogie boards and I would want to take up surfing, so that's another reason for not needing to be in walking distance, like you say it's a lot to carry, but if you have a dog and you can just walk to the beach or the coastline for the incredible views, I can imagine it's magical.

It is fab and yes he gets walked there and back mostly everyday. But sometimes we drive especially if its too hot .

We currently live 100km in land so living a few minutes car drive away from the coast would be fantastic. Obviously it would be great to live nearer like you say, but the cost of housing zooms up the nearer to the beach you are.

Some of the prices I see on here mate are crazy. You can still get a decent house within walking distance of great beaches for what you'd be coming out with. Even if you fancied something nicer or closer to Perth you would only need a very small mortgage.

We can walk to the beach but don't cause we always have too much stuff! Even the esky is too heavy to walk with haha

We're the same. Only time we walk is if we're going to the pub or surf club for a drink. It's handy if visitors come though, at least they can get down the beach without having to wait for us to take them, saves having a hire car too.

Xenon you are right- it seems much harder now. There aren't many cheap houses around now because most have been done up and the owners now want top dollar. When we arrived you could buy a 'doerupperer' quite cheaply and live in it at the same time. Not so much now. We also had lower standards I must say- we were willing to more or less camp with a roof over our heads. Probably not allowed now with all the rules and regs around.

When we started planning to move to Australia we worked out what we absolutely needed to get there, and then what would be good to have to be sure. I was never going to travel without a job, so I based my costs on travel and initial set up.

I worked out I would need about £2k for flights, £4.5k for our dogs, £2k for initial accom, £1k to ship the bare essentials, £500 for a rental car and then about a minimum of around £5k for the first months long term rent and bond and £3k for a deposit on a car. Ideally I needed some more for other stuff but that was the minimum I thought we needed. My assumption was always that I would start earning within a few weeks of arrival.

A year of hard saving and we have managed to build up a decent little pot to bring with us and I am happy we have done the right level of planning to be safe and secure. I have sold our house, but have no plans to use the equity for anything other than a deposit on a new home.

Nothing beats a little excel spreadsheet to keep yourself on track and make sure you have a plan! I think it is a fair point to say you can over plan, but if you don't at least have some idea of what you are getting in to you are very foolish. It always amazes me on wanted down under for example when people rock up in Australia and are amazed at the cost of living, or rentals or whatever. Have they never heard of google?

I do have a family to worry about though. If I was single I would have flown by the seat of my pants and just gone for it. One way ticket, bosh.

Archived