Damned IELTS!

Bouncy

I got 7.5 for my writing - could have been better. The speaking mark shocked me (6.5), I had to talk about myself, boats and libraries. I didn't speak for 2 minutes (libraries) so I guess there's the problem.

Hi Levi, I did the test last Saturday in Dublin. I was born in UK and am a native speaker but, like you, I didn't talk for long enough on the 2 minute speech. I had to talk abut history and my mind went completely blank and the only thing I could think of I knew nothing about so I just said loads of BS ......... the rest of the test was ok but I really screwed up that bit! I get my scores next week, it will be interesting to see if I score low as if I do it will definitley be because of that!!

Best wishes Carmel

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Levi,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I need 8 for the points, I need 15 additional points for 189 Skilled Independent visa and only 8 can help me.

This is my 2nd exam, the 1st one was last year (L-6, R-6.5,W-7.5, S-6.5) for the purposes of skills assessment (Engineers Australia). I don't know what you can suggest me, but I am practicing Listening and Reading with Cambridge Books Series 1-9 and Podcasts/BBC for the Listening part.

For Writing module I am practicing with Successful Writing Proficiency, How to write at band 9 (Ryan Higgins) and letters/essays samples of band 8 & 9.

For the Speaking part I think ielts-blog.com is enough.

Your suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks and good luck,

Enida

Enida, pretty big gap between those sixes and the eight you'll need. Is it due to loss of concentration or what? How would you rate your English knowledge? I think the Cambridge Books Series 1-9 are perfect/excellent, I have the same ones - so keep practicing with those. For the writing part I only practiced once.

If your English is above average (say above a solid 7 out of ten), then I personally think that a 8.5-9 is perfectly attainable in the IELTS (listening and reading part that is). Writing and speaking is more tricky though and well within the reach of the definition for subjective!

I too read about that OET thing, but not that much. Will have to dig deeper and see what's that all about.

I got 7.5 for my writing - could have been better. The speaking mark shocked me (6.5), I had to talk about myself, boats and libraries. I didn't speak for 2 minutes (libraries) so I guess there's the problem.

Hi Levi, I did the test last Saturday in Dublin. I was born in UK and am a native speaker but, like you, I didn't talk for long enough on the 2 minute speech. I had to talk abut history and my mind went completely blank and the only thing I could think of I knew nothing about so I just said loads of BS ......... the rest of the test was ok but I really screwed up that bit! I get my scores next week, it will be interesting to see if I score low as if I do it will definitley be because of that!!

Best wishes Carmel

Hi Carmel, my mind goes blank lots of times :)) and I am the type of person who just can't be bothered with the little stuff, like tell me about yourself, what do you think of boats, etc. Glad I didn't get the card with history! Of course, being somewhat blank-y is the reason innovations come from other people and not me.

Let us know of your results.

Best wishes Carmel

i definitely didn't talk for two minutes!! It's 1-2 minutes I think, he said he would prompt me to carry on but when I naturally finished he didn't so I'm assuming it was ok??!!

• 3 weeks later...
Well it's over now. Try and forget about it and have a well earned glass of wine. Good luck with your results.

Debs

Thanks:)wine already open lol well Bacardi breezer as I am such a light weight lol but your right no ielts thoughts for 2 weeks...

oz2014 how would you rate your English? Are you a native English speaker? IELTS results are all over the place if you ask me :))

Yes English is my first language Levi but speaking was awful as topic was about a school rule, I left school over 20 yrs ago!

Hi Enida,

Good question, and I don't now how to answer. Perhaps I've said this on previous pages, but I think my English is pretty good (and I don't want to be a showoff), so the listening and the reading was easy for me. I lost concentration at the end of the listening part, I missed 2-3 words at the very end. 8.5 is good enough for that. The reading: 60 minutes was enough for me. I've read comments saying that 'English is my first language ..the time was not enough ..30 more minutes would have been welcome'. I don't know what I could add to this; if you ask me then people having English as their first language should be able to score 9 in the reading part every time.

I got 7.5 for my writing - could have been better. The speaking mark shocked me (6.5), I had to talk about myself, boats and libraries. I didn't speak for 2 minutes (libraries) so I guess there's the problem. I've requested for a remark yesterday, but I'm not hoping for much.

You need 8 in each band - must be for the points, right? You are spot on saying "I don't know if its achievable considering that English is not my 1st language." All I can say is not to lose hope, practice a bit more + check 'personal reasons' on the registration form. When is your exam? Will this be the first one for you? I have lots of practice material (digital format), PM me if you want to have it (absolutely free!).

I'm not even thinking of getting 8 in every module. I only want 7, and that is for the skills assessment (general accountant). I am aiming for a 489 family sponsored visa = minimum points and then bon voyage!

Keep us updated.

Hi Levi - any materials that you have going spare would be greatly appreciated! My hubby sat his first IELTS yesterday, was told he had passed the speaking, seemed confident in the reading and listening but seems to be pretty worked up about the writing part and seems pretty confident he hasnt passed....and now he has 13 days to wait! He needs the full 8 in each area to bump his points up as we arent comfortable going on a 457 visa with 3 young kids!

Hope you don't mind me asking, but like I say, any support would be appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 7/26/2013 at 11:53 AM, Levi said:

My IELTS: listening 8.5, reading 9, writing 7.5, speaking 6.5 (done a couple of weeks ago). English is not my first language. Frustrating isn't it. I also think some of this test is a scam, why on earth does the registration form ask about motives for taking the exam, and in case you're migrating then it asks where are you going.

Doesn't matter, you WILL shell out the money if you really want to go. I've read of people (English being their first language!) sitting the exam 5-6, even seven times to get above 8 in all four modules. There were a couple of cases of a remark being requested, the majority unsuccessful, and only one getting a higher band score (7 from 6.5 in the speaking module). I am asking for a remark also (speaking). Money down the drain, I know.

If my don't get a seven at least for the speaking part, then only next year will I have another go at this, and I will tick 'personal reasons' for sure!

Check this out also: http://www.britishcouncil.org/professionals-exams-ielts-intro.htm

Those wanting the inside details about how IELTS really works are encouraged to visit this site.

http://www.thefreeschool.education/language-tests-review.html

IELTS data table.png

IELTS appeals.pdf

Archived