Damned IELTS!

Bouncy

I didn't read the text. I found when I was practising that I was trying to understand the text before answering questions and then running out of time. So instead I read the first question, found the answer, highlighted the answer and wrote the answer number next to it. Then when I was struggling to find an answer I would skip it and carry on. Then when I was finished I would look for the answers I had missed in between the answers I had found. Worked for me.

Debs

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all I was exactly the same the reading kept getting me by 0.5 a mark every time, i did eventually pass i used the simon blog and i also used you tube, they basically show you a lecture on the points to look out for to help you pass... Hope it works for you, its sole destroying i know because you just cant get any further until you have this plus the money keeps increasing. I had decided that if i failed again i would then pay 50.00 on a personal teaching from IELTS thankfully i didnt need this. It really knocks your confidence as i did well in my English GCSE. Dont let the pressure get to you (or at least try) Good Luck.... Lisa

so good tips on this thread. am taking mine 3 weeks today,academic as also a nurse. annual leave in one week so it will be spent studying but hopefully worth it::::) if not repeat the damn ielts!

good luck to everyone taking tests

Thanks Yorkshire rose! Just got to keep going! Trying not to think about the money going down the swany! Plenty more practise and some positive thinking!!

Travel chic, that's a great tip, I'm sure we weren't allowed to take in high lighters! The moderators took loads off people! Highlighting would certainly help, not having to skim through the whole lot would definitely save time! Ill take one next time and see if they are allowed!

Thanks everyone for all the great tips and encouragement!

Thanks Yorkshire rose! Just got to keep going! Trying not to think about the money going down the swany! Plenty more practise and some positive thinking!!

Travel chic, that's a great tip, I'm sure we weren't allowed to take in high lighters! The moderators took loads off people! Highlighting would certainly help, not having to skim through the whole lot would definitely save time! Ill take one next time and see if they are allowed!

Thanks everyone for all the great tips and encouragement!

Hi Bouncy, I did my IELTS today and wasn't allowed to take the highlighter in, but that was in Dublin so I don't know if you might get away with it in UK! I did what Travelchic recommends and it works cos it saves time! Best of luck Carmel

They let me in with pens pencils erasers sharpeners highlighters and a bottle of water. Just take a couple of light coloured crayons in case they take the highlighter off you.

Debs

Hi Debs, I had read somewhere you can take ur stuff in in a see through plastic bag -- they wouldn't even let me take that in!! They just said no take it out! Right little hitlers!! :mad:

Rats. Honestly, where is the harm in that. Maybe they thought you were gonna smuggle your laptop in the lid of the highlighter!!

Debs

Acually I had all the answers on a secret micro chip in the lid lol I must have looked very shifty as I was twitching away .......

Yeah, no highlighters allowed at Sunderland, , but I did sneak a pack of fruity sweets in to suck! The examiner came over to my table, picked them up, and lay them straight back down! I thought about offering him one to get an extra mark but I'm not a kiss ass!! Haha!

Yeah, no highlighters allowed at Sunderland, , but I did sneak a pack of fruity sweets in to suck! The examiner came over to my table, picked them up, and lay them straight back down! I thought about offering him one to get an extra mark but I'm not a kiss ass!! Haha!

As you probably know, glucose is brain food. Sucking it before and during stops you forgetting where you are and what you are doing when examination stress reduces you effective IQ by 50 points.

My IELTS: listening 8.5, reading 9, writing 7.5, speaking 6.5 (done a couple of weeks ago). English is not my first language. Frustrating isn't it. I also think some of this test is a scam, why on earth does the registration form ask about motives for taking the exam, and in case you're migrating then it asks where are you going.

Doesn't matter, you WILL shell out the money if you really want to go. I've read of people (English being their first language!) sitting the exam 5-6, even seven times to get above 8 in all four modules. There were a couple of cases of a remark being requested, the majority unsuccessful, and only one getting a higher band score (7 from 6.5 in the speaking module). I am asking for a remark also (speaking). Money down the drain, I know.

If my don't get a seven at least for the speaking part, then only next year will I have another go at this, and I will tick 'personal reasons' for sure!

Check this out also: http://www.britishcouncil.org/professionals-exams-ielts-intro.htm

Hi Levi,

How did you manage to score so well in Listening and Reading?

I am also struggling with IELTS and desperately need 8 in each band, I don't know if its achievable considering that English is not my 1st language.

Good luck with IELTS.

Regards,

Enida

Hi Levi,

How did you manage to score so well in Listening and Reading?

I am also struggling with IELTS and desperately need 8 in each band, I don't know if its achievable considering that English is not my 1st language.

Good luck with IELTS.

Regards,

Enida

Hi Enida,

Good question, and I don't now how to answer. Perhaps I've said this on previous pages, but I think my English is pretty good (and I don't want to be a showoff), so the listening and the reading was easy for me. I lost concentration at the end of the listening part, I missed 2-3 words at the very end. 8.5 is good enough for that. The reading: 60 minutes was enough for me. I've read comments saying that 'English is my first language ..the time was not enough ..30 more minutes would have been welcome'. I don't know what I could add to this; if you ask me then people having English as their first language should be able to score 9 in the reading part every time.

I got 7.5 for my writing - could have been better. The speaking mark shocked me (6.5), I had to talk about myself, boats and libraries. I didn't speak for 2 minutes (libraries) so I guess there's the problem. I've requested for a remark yesterday, but I'm not hoping for much.

You need 8 in each band - must be for the points, right? You are spot on saying "I don't know if its achievable considering that English is not my 1st language." All I can say is not to lose hope, practice a bit more + check 'personal reasons' on the registration form. When is your exam? Will this be the first one for you? I have lots of practice material (digital format), PM me if you want to have it (absolutely free!).

I'm not even thinking of getting 8 in every module. I only want 7, and that is for the skills assessment (general accountant). I am aiming for a 489 family sponsored visa = minimum points and then bon voyage!

Keep us updated.

I thought it was only me struggling! I keep failing the writing task I took a 4 hour ielts writing class and went from a 6 to a 6.5 how frustrating! I'm really considering taking the OET instead as I've taken the ielts four times

I thought it was only me struggling! I keep failing the writing task I took a 4 hour ielts writing class and went from a 6 to a 6.5 how frustrating! I'm really considering taking the OET instead as I've taken the ielts four times

I considered attending the pre test seminars but thought I'd manage with home revision, I'm doing my 3rd attempt next month, what is the difference between the OET & Ielts? Does it still give you visa points and is do ANMAC recognise it?

Hi Enida,

Good question, and I don't now how to answer. Perhaps I've said this on previous pages, but I think my English is pretty good (and I don't want to be a showoff), so the listening and the reading was easy for me. I lost concentration at the end of the listening part, I missed 2-3 words at the very end. 8.5 is good enough for that. The reading: 60 minutes was enough for me. I've read comments saying that 'English is my first language ..the time was not enough ..30 more minutes would have been welcome'. I don't know what I could add to this; if you ask me then people having English as their first language should be able to score 9 in the reading part every time.

I got 7.5 for my writing - could have been better. The speaking mark shocked me (6.5), I had to talk about myself, boats and libraries. I didn't speak for 2 minutes (libraries) so I guess there's the problem. I've requested for a remark yesterday, but I'm not hoping for much.

You need 8 in each band - must be for the points, right? You are spot on saying "I don't know if its achievable considering that English is not my 1st language." All I can say is not to lose hope, practice a bit more + check 'personal reasons' on the registration form. When is your exam? Will this be the first one for you? I have lots of practice material (digital format), PM me if you want to have it (absolutely free!).

I'm not even thinking of getting 8 in every module. I only want 7, and that is for the skills assessment (general accountant). I am aiming for a 489 family sponsored visa = minimum points and then bon voyage!

Keep us updated.

Hi Levi,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I need 8 for the points, I need 15 additional points for 189 Skilled Independent visa and only 8 can help me.

This is my 2nd exam, the 1st one was last year (L-6, R-6.5,W-7.5, S-6.5) for the purposes of skills assessment (Engineers Australia). I don't know what you can suggest me, but I am practicing Listening and Reading with Cambridge Books Series 1-9 and Podcasts/BBC for the Listening part.

For Writing module I am practicing with Successful Writing Proficiency, How to write at band 9 (Ryan Higgins) and letters/essays samples of band 8 & 9.

For the Speaking part I think ielts-blog.com is enough.

Your suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks and good luck,

Enida

Archived