3. Cairns

4. Perth

5. Brisbane

6. Surfers Paradise

7. Byron Bay

8. Port Douglas

9 Adelaide

10. Hobart

I don't think brisbane and perth should be that high up, as travel destinations they are very boring indeed.

Agree and I live in Brissie. Not sure what you would do as a pure tourist for more than a few days without going to the Gold/Sunny Coast

And why isnt the Sunny Coast on there!???

Lonely Planet named Hobart as one of its Best in Travel top 10 world cities for 2013.

And I dare say Lonely Planet knows more about Hobart than you.

Tasmania is fantastic. Couldn't rate it higher for a trip. Hobart the town is about as interesting as Basingstoke

I don't think brisbane and perth should be that high up, as travel destinations they are very boring indeed.

Things to do related to travel industry and tourism brisbane has it all within close range.

The islands, the city ,mountain ranges, rainforests , the river, Morton bay ,dreamworld, movie world, wet n wild , Australia zoo, lone pine, valley nightlife as well as city, china town, the dams , Museums, shows( powerhouse always great ) Westfield shopping centres everywhere, could keep going but you get the picture. . Hardly boring for a tourist. Maybe the other 600 000 plus poms that choose Australia as a holiday destination yearly find these things great. I know majority of the ones I know can't get enough of the place. Brisbane , gold and sunshine coasts their is loads to do and see

Tasmania is fantastic. Couldn't rate it higher for a trip. Hobart the town is about as interesting as Basingstoke

LP based Hobart's rating on its events, culture, food, drink, colonial heritage and natural scenery.

Some people like those.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We had a month on the Gold Coast, we were in an apartment overlooking the sea at Surfers paradise and paradise it was. We surfed almost everyday, hit the many great parks, Seaworld and the water park was great, we had some fantastic cheap meals at the Surfers clubs, overlooking the sea and beach, we had a brilliant curry at Varsity lakes, played golf, drove up and down the coast to see other sights, we had one of the best holidays ever in Surfers, the only holiday that beat it was when we went to Florida but it wasn't far behind, but ...... We are fun outgoing active people looking for an adventure and Surfers ticked all the boxes for us.

Guest Guest26012

Yawn!

Why didn't Darwin make the list? I picked up cheap airfares and spent a week there last October and had a great time.

The awards will be based on ratings from people who use the TripAdvisor website. This will inevitably lean towards the places that have high absolute visitor numbers so long as the people that go there didn't have a dreadful time. Of course most people who come to Australia will go to Sydney, Melbourne or the Great Barrier Reef. Darwin or the Mornington Peninsula may be fantastic but unless they get the volume of visitors that go to the main cities, they won't feature in the top ten.

I don't know Brisbane, but Perth is a great place to visit. Nice weather, lovely botanic gardens, river cruises, wine tours, Fremantle just next door, cricket, AFL, bus tours. It may be dull to live in (or maybe not), but I can vouch for it being a great place to go for a long weekend getaway.

I would also say Perth is good for a visit ( that's all) but it is a bit too far out and costs a lot to go there- that's probably why it isn't so high up. As for Geelong- why would you visit there? Might just as well visit Leongatha or Wonthaggi- actually Wonthaggi would be better.

Guest Ptp113
I would also say Perth is good for a visit ( that's all) but it is a bit too far out and costs a lot to go there- that's probably why it isn't so high up. As for Geelong- why would you visit there? Might just as well visit Leongatha or Wonthaggi- actually Wonthaggi would be better.

Ahh, but Geelong has a bloody good football team. Definitely worth a visit for a home game.

We had a month on the Gold Coast, we were in an apartment overlooking the sea at Surfers paradise and paradise it was. We surfed almost everyday, hit the many great parks, Seaworld and the water park was great, we had some fantastic cheap meals at the Surfers clubs, overlooking the sea and beach, we had a brilliant curry at Varsity lakes, played golf, drove up and down the coast to see other sights, we had one of the best holidays ever in Surfers, the only holiday that beat it was when we went to Florida but it wasn't far behind, but ...... We are fun outgoing active people looking for an adventure and Surfers ticked all the boxes for us.

Its seen as posh or snobby not to look down your nose at Surfers (and I'm too old to enjoy it by night), but the Gold Coast as a whole is one of the best place in Aus to live, if you can get a job nearby.

Many ignorant people think Surfers (about 2 sq miles) is the Gold Coast (about 100 square miles), a bit like thinking Brixton or Chelsea representative of the whole of greater London.

Archived