Maths Homework help please

tonyman

The probability of getting a simple error when going in reverse is huge. It would probably be faster and more accurate to reverse the whole thing, and change + to minus etc, and work it out that way. If they are allowed to use computers I would have put it in a spreadsheet. A programmable calculator would take this as a function, and then you could run through possible solutions using a binary search,

The probability of getting a simple error when going in reverse is huge. It would probably be faster and more accurate to reverse the whole thing, and change + to minus etc, and work it out that way. If they are allowed to use computers I would have put it in a spreadsheet. A programmable calculator would take this as a function, and then you could run through possible solutions using a binary search,

Re writing from the bottom and changing signs was what I was alluding to.

I wonder if any did.

Even if prompted I'm guessing that less than 10% of the year 7 s I teach would have

I'll print it off and give it to my boys and give two pounds for the first correct answer

Re writing from the bottom and changing signs was what I was alluding to.

I wonder if any did.

Even if prompted I'm guessing that less than 10% of the year 7 s I teach would have

Boring old git rant coming up...

I was GOOD at math 50ish years ago and, with lots of concentration can work that out--or can if I zoom my screen in far enough to tell the difference between the division sign and the plus sign.

However, I can't for the life of me work out what practical maths a problem like this is trying to teach. Strikes me that it's much more an exercise in concentration than actual mathematics. I can see the beginnings of this kind of thing in the maths homework that comes home with my eight year old. They haven't bothered doing any exercises in memorising times tables or whatever but, instead, get brain teasers like this one (though a bit simpler). What's wrong with learning the basics instead? If this is the maths of today I can see why people working on check outs can't work out simple change without a calculator.

I agree, this is not maths. It is a silly and highly basic arithmetic test all you do is reverse the sign all the way through. What age group was it intended for I wonder.

I agree, this is not maths. It is a silly and highly basic arithmetic test all you do is reverse the sign all the way through. What age group was it intended for I wonder.

Grade 6 or year 7 would be my guess. Year 8s as a lesson starter / start of topic reminder as well I guess.

Its testing 'backtracking' skills. As Bobbsy has alluded, a precursor to introducing solving equations in algebra.

So many of you write that you hate or are/were bad at maths. What the hell! How do you manage life then?

Did anybody learn about the following? : logarithms, exponentials, statistics, derivation, complex geometry, etc. I googled some random images:

http://feelingsofwhite.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/math.png

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZu4AwlNx7dfFHFPo6AS2ykvEK8F2GhCfjc7UPIbihS1KXk5Ki

http://cdni.wired.co.uk/1920x1280/k_n/maths.jpg

http://www.mathwords.com/d/d_assets/d1.gif

Also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivation_%28abstract_algebra%29

https://hr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limes_%28matematika%29

Of course I too forgot most of it, but back then I was very good at maths. In this lovely banana land called Romania there’s a major exam at the end of 8th grade, another one after 12th grade, and whoever wants to go to college can hang on to dear life. As you can expect there are lots of young & uneducated people in RO. What’s the situation in the UK?

"The probability of getting a simple error when going in reverse is huge." Well I hope I dodget it.

I think this problem is like the IELTS reading module: “Quick! Read ~3000 words, answer some warped questions, all in 60 minutes. Hurry, hurry!” Then people, regardless of age, panic, and make silly mistakes.

More comments, opinions are welcome.

Because I never pushed myself to do as well as I could have levi. I stopped learning maths english science etc at school and studied media at college which turned out to be a big mistake! I used to be good at algebra as far as gcse standards went lol

Because I never pushed myself to do as well as I could have levi. I stopped learning maths english science etc at school and studied media at college which turned out to be a big mistake! I used to be good at algebra as far as gcse standards went lol

Speaking of mistakes I'm a finance graduate and all bankers want us to do is sell more loans, more credit cards - and I'm not willing to do that. I think that people who want to dig themselves deeper know where to find banks and lending institutions :))

Back in 2004 when I went to college I thought a finance degree would come in handy, but the situation has changed since (starting with 2007-'08).

Just got followed on Twitter by @gumii - and it says: "Every kid can be good at math. Gummii is an innovative, game-based math learning system that builds kids’ motivation & adapts to their individual learning needs."

Check it out.

Just got followed on Twitter by @gumii - and it says: "Every kid can be good at math. Gummii is an innovative, game-based math learning system that builds kids’ motivation & adapts to their individual learning needs."

Check it out.

Searched but couldn't find.

Do you have a link please Levi?

. It is a silly and highly basic arithmetic test all you do is reverse the sign all the way through. What age group was it intended for I wonder.

It may be silly in your eyes, but what is interesting is that for such a highly basic arithmetic test it seems to have caused a lot of adults on here an awful lot of problems. If nothing else it is a test of being able to carry out a relatively simple task numerous times, checking that each step is correct, providing them with practice of the four basic arithmetic functions and, depending on the age of the child would require a bit of concentration.

Newjez, please tell me you are joking with your reference to spreadsheets and programmable calculators for such a simple task! This is basic mental arithmetic. And as for the probability of making a mistake in reverse , has nobody ever heard of self checking? Pet hate of mine with lots of the new grads, give you pages of rubbish which they obviously haven't checked over themselves.

Have a quick google of Math Foundation. They're online and they have everything from full lessons to exercises on just the bits you need to brush up on. And don't worry, they aren't like the usual ones you find in your textbook that don't actually help you.

Archived