UK economy seen doubling pace of growth in second quarter

simmo

Great news from the UK

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's economy probably expanded faster in the second quarter than in the first, helped by growing confidence among consumers and by signs that companies are ready to borrow and spend more.

Official statistics due out at 0930 BST on Thursday are expected to show that growth came to 0.6 percent in the April-to-June period compared with the previous quarter, according to a Reuters poll of economists.

That would be twice the pace of growth in the first three months of the year. The revival in the British economy contrasts with the rest of Europe, where many countries are struggling to grow or are stuck in recession.

I was trying to order a load of concrete blocks yesterday and was told I had to wait a week for delivery because there is a shortage, so many construction projects in the SE they need to step up manufacturing. Same with readymixed concrete, high demand mean increasing lead times.

The UK has been like this for the last year or two, I guess its spreading to other areas of the economy now so most people will see it get better soon.

The dip happened in construction and engineering before the financial crisis which I think was due to the strong pound. 2006-2007, lots lost their jobs then, it was carnage, grown men in tears....

Much of the same is happening in Australia, they hit their peek and now on the way down for a few years. Thing is that didnt hit here in Oz to make it twice as worse was the financial crisis so even though I can see the economy going down and people loosing jobs, it wont be as bad as Europe and the states. More of a stagnation than black hole

It's always a positive sign when lead times increase for building materials but what's happening in London can at times be a false indication as to the overall health and improvment of the economy on a national scale although only earlier today I have noticed quite a few job alerts coming into my Email for construction related professionals in various area's of the UK although mostly the South but I hope that improvement makes it's way up North.

I'm no economist but these things cycles seem so predictable...economy performs well, value of currency increases, high currency is bad for exports, economy suffers, value of currency reduces, demand for exports increases...economy performs well...and so on.

I also think some people wrongly thought that there would always be demand for Australian minerals, but its very different to oil.

Boom and bust in every western country just have to live within your means, easier said than done as when the uk was in a boom money was being thrown at peeps

on every turn and post, I know many who took up offers such as "sign here for a guaranteed 25k loan". many of those suffered as of course it needed to be paid back and they couldnt relate to the boom being over. I see the same here in Perth too, lotsa debt, I can see negative equity. An estate agent was telling me that people here in Perth putting up the rents to real high rents and lo and behold the property on the market still. I have kept my UK house at the same rent now for 3 years, no issues with tenants and nice and steady. But as I say its tough in a boom time looking ahead to an inevitable bust sometime in the future. House prices here in Perth ridiculous

prices and petrol at an all time high ( I know cheaper than UK but you travel twice as far here in perth ). Iam told my house value in the UK has risen so contemplating selling and changing into dollars but not buying here until house prices reduce. ( perth estate agents please dont contact me I will contact you :-) )

Incidentally I know f 3 UK couples moved here to Perth, and have blown all their monies from house sales etc within a year. just got to pace yourself. I'm either lucky or a tightwad :biggrin:

Thats good news. It's not all bad news anyway, i see plenty people in the pubs and restaurants so most of them seem to be doing okay. Im sure the shopping centers in places like glasgow and edinburgh are still quite busy. I dont know if im imagining it but when im looking for jobs i think there seems to be more advertised than last year, usually retail ones.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

This is what they were saying in April, lets hope things are on the up, for the last 5 years overall the UK economy has shrunk.

Data from Niesr.

We've just escaped a triple-dip recession: GDP for the last three months rose by 0.3%. If the economy had shrunks again in the first quarter of this year, that would have plunged the UK into its third recession in the past five years, an unprecedented triple-dip.

As the ONS explains, it's hardly dynamic growth:

They blamed the weather for a low rate of growth: "The strongest evidence was that it reduced retail output in January and March 2013 but boosted demand for electricity and gas in February and March, which increased output in the energy supply industries."GDP was 0.4% higher in Q1 2013 than in Q3 2011 and therefore has been broadly flat over the last 18 months."

The figures above show how recessions compare - thanks to the National Institute of Economic and Social Research for the data. The economic recovery since the crash of 2008 is the slowest since 1921.

This is what they were saying in April, lets hope things are on the up, for the last 5 years overall the UK economy has shrunk.

Data from Niesr.

We've just escaped a triple-dip recession: GDP for the last three months rose by 0.3%. If the economy had shrunks again in the first quarter of this year, that would have plunged the UK into its third recession in the past five years, an unprecedented triple-dip.

As the ONS explains, it's hardly dynamic growth:

They blamed the weather for a low rate of growth: "The strongest evidence was that it reduced retail output in January and March 2013 but boosted demand for electricity and gas in February and March, which increased output in the energy supply industries."GDP was 0.4% higher in Q1 2013 than in Q3 2011 and therefore has been broadly flat over the last 18 months."

The figures above show how recessions compare - thanks to the National Institute of Economic and Social Research for the data. The economic recovery since the crash of 2008 is the slowest since 1921.

Following Data can lead to falsehoods and lies, I go by experience and evidence of my own eyes. The UK is definately on the up not one ofmy large family all over the UK are out of a job, lost their business oron the dole, I though look at life through a glass half full perception and can understand anyone losing their jobs etc blaming the country. People out abusing thatcher after she died after 20 years away from politics for example, whats that all about, those people should have moved on by now, unfortunately as technology moves forward so do we. Watched 'ON THE BUSES' today was funny but then again any bus conductors would have been miffed at driver only buses,what would we think about them being re-employed back on the buses, complaints no doubt.The world wont adjust to fit us. we have to adjust. the UK will hit boom times again but no doubt some will refuse to acknowledge it. selective viewing sometimes. not aimed at you tho Hoffy

Guest The Ropey HOFF
The UK has been like this for the last year or two, I guess its spreading to other areas of the economy now so most people will see it get better soon.

The dip happened in construction and engineering before the financial crisis which I think was due to the strong pound. 2006-2007, lots lost their jobs then, it was carnage, grown men in tears....

Much of the same is happening in Australia, they hit their peek and now on the way down for a few years. Thing is that didnt hit here in Oz to make it twice as worse was the financial crisis so even though I can see the economy going down and people loosing jobs, it wont be as bad as Europe and the states. More of a stagnation than black hole

Well Australia has had 21 years of economic growth at times the growth figures were excellent, there is rumblings that there might be a slow down, which to them will seem very negative, but the lower figures will probably be similar to the UKs forthcoming better figures.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

It's just been announced on sky that the last quarter figures have seen a 0.6% rise in growth which is really good news, that's about 1% in the last two quarters which is really good for the UK and far better than what most of Europe is doing.

It's just been announced on sky that the last quarter figures have seen a 0.6% rise in growth which is really good news, that's about 1% in the last two quarters which is really good for the UK and far better than what most of Europe is doing.

Steady on with the good news Jim, we're not used to it:wink:

I'm sure the Grauniad and the BBC will have some buts soon to balance things up and get us all feeling down again:sad:

Steady on with the good news Jim, we're not used to it:wink:

I'm sure the Grauniad and the BBC will have some buts soon to balance things up and get us all feeling down again:sad:

Yeh excellent news.....better than expected figures....unemployment going down.....houses prices rising.....happy days.....unless of course you log onto this website...theres always someone around that will try and p#ss on the fireworks.

Hope you're right mate.

iam sure it is patchy countrywide ...... but all the lads in the pub are all rammed out with work ......got a mate who works at the airport , he said he cant wait for this recession to end .....airport is busy busy .....the lads at land rover are also very busy ....bentley at crewe have just taken on a 1000 jobs ......economists are saying its slow sustained growth at the right pace

Archived