The ashes

paul1977

I can imagine the Aussies have stopped talking about it now (as they did in 2011 and with the Olympics!) and, when the lose the next test, they wont even feature it on the news!!

I must say Michael Clarke was very gracious in defeat today though.

If Stuart Broad had walked Australia would have won the test.

So unfortunately it show poor sportsmanship wins out in the end.

Under arm bowling.. Know your history, no batsmen walk. Umpire makes the call. Hope you feel the same when it happens to Australia which it will over the course of 10 test

I do know my history.

Actually I was at the game when the underarm bowl too place at the MCG in 1981 (were you?)

Again it was an act of poor sportsmanship which won the game for the Aussies (even though they were 99% certain to win anyway on that day).

I do know my history.

Actually I was at the game when the underarm bowl too place at the MCG in 1981 (were you?)

Again it was an act of poor sportsmanship which won the game for the Aussies (even though they were 99% certain to win anyway on that day).

I was 4 so I'm guessing I wasn't there. Seeing so you know about cricket you know 100% that no Australian batsman would of walked. So it's 1-0 and onto the next test .!!!!

In a world cup match in 2011 in India, Ricky Ponting sparked a controversy by not walking when he clearly hit the ball in a World Cup match against Pakistan. Ponting made no apologies for refusing to walk.

"There were no doubts about the nick," Ponting said. "I knew I hit it, but, as always, I wait for the umpire to give me out. That's the way I've always played the game."

But maybe that was different................

Guest Ptp113
I was 4 so I'm guessing I wasn't there. Seeing so you know about cricket you know 100% that no Australian batsman would of walked. So it's 1-0 and onto the next test .!!!!

Many Aussie batsmen have walked. Stick to what you know, and it isn't cricket history.

In a world cup match in 2011 in India, Ricky Ponting sparked a controversy by not walking when he clearly hit the ball in a World Cup match against Pakistan. Ponting made no apologies for refusing to walk.

"There were no doubts about the nick," Ponting said. "I knew I hit it, but, as always, I wait for the umpire to give me out. That's the way I've always played the game."

But maybe that was different................

Very different I would imagine

It shouldn't happen all the time.

All the Fleet Street papers were very critical of his decision, saying it was "not in the spirit of the game".

But unfortunately it has set a tone and probably we'll see less walking from now on in this series.

All the Fleet Street papers were very critical of his decision, saying it was "not in the spirit of the game".

But unfortunately it has set a tone and probably we'll see less walking from now on in this series.

That's not true. People take advantage in sport all the time, Australia is no exception. Just get over it.....You probably will see less walking, if the umpire does not make a ruling....just like in the Ponting case, and he justified it. it's the umpire's decision , so if he fails, don't blame a player as they all try to pull a 'fast one' no matter what team they are.

The precedent was set a long time ago unfortunately. It's not great but it is the way cricket is played now. I really think it's time to move on to the next match now. Shaping up to be a really good series.

Like in any sport, you play to the rules. The rules have now changed to bring in DRS, so the teams and captains need to learn how to play by these rules. As it happens, in this test, the English took advantage of the new rules in a better way than the Australians did. If Clarke hadn't used up his reviews then Broad would have been out, no question.... but he had, so he wasn't - in the opinion of the umpires on the pitch anyway - and like in any sport, the umpire is the final decision maker. I've never seen a tennis player say - "oh actually I won't have that point, I could see the ball was in really although it was called out", or a rugby player say "hang on, let's not reset the scrum, I got it wrong so the other team should have a penalty", or a football player say "no, no, I touched it with my hand, the other team should have a penalty"... Funnily I haven't heard any of the people calling Broad "a cheat" saying the same about Haddin on that last ball - and I am reliably assured by those who actually play cricket that even though it was the lightest of touches on his bat, he'd have known about it. Lucky for England eh, that they still had a couple of spare reviews to use?

I hate to post this, as it runs against the argument that all sportsmen cheat, when they know that they can get away with it. But...........

While playing for Liverpool against Arsenal on March 24 1997, Robbie Fowler was involved in a famous incident at Highbury; he won a penalty, appearing to tumble under the challenge of David Seaman, before pleading with the referee Gerald Ashby not to award it, claiming the keeper had not touched him. Fowler ended up winning Uefa's Fair Play award for his honesty.

..........I'm not even a Liverpool fan

Guest Ptp113
I hate to post this, as it runs against the argument that all sportsmen cheat, when they know that they can get away with it. But...........

While playing for Liverpool against Arsenal on March 24 1997, Robbie Fowler was involved in a famous incident at Highbury; he won a penalty, appearing to tumble under the challenge of David Seaman, before pleading with the referee Gerald Ashby not to award it, claiming the keeper had not touched him. Fowler ended up winning Uefa's Fair Play award for his honesty.

..........I'm not even a Liverpool fan

Rare in any sport, unheard of in Poofball land

Like in any sport, you play to the rules. The rules have now changed to bring in DRS, so the teams and captains need to learn how to play by these rules. As it happens, in this test, the English took advantage of the new rules in a better way than the Australians did. If Clarke hadn't used up his reviews then Broad would have been out, no question.... but he had, so he wasn't - in the opinion of the umpires on the pitch anyway - and like in any sport, the umpire is the final decision maker. I've never seen a tennis player say - "oh actually I won't have that point, I could see the ball was in really although it was called out", or a rugby player say "hang on, let's not reset the scrum, I got it wrong so the other team should have a penalty", or a football player say "no, no, I touched it with my hand, the other team should have a penalty"... Funnily I haven't heard any of the people calling Broad "a cheat" saying the same about Haddin on that last ball - and I am reliably assured by those who actually play cricket that even though it was the lightest of touches on his bat, he'd have known about it. Lucky for England eh, that they still had a couple of spare reviews to use?

I have seen it often in Tennis, where a player is aced and the linesman calls fault and the receiver walks across knowing they have been aced.

The players usually know whether it was in or not. True some of them won't walk across but some still do. Nadal particularly is very sporting and does this.

I don't like bad sportsmanship and don't like the thought that it could have won us the test, but there were plenty more 'ifs' and 'maybes'. I haven't heard any Aussies complaining about Jonathan Trott (a far better batsman than Broad) being wrongly given out, or Micheal Clarke or Brad Haddin not walking when they edged in the second innings so it doesn't bother me.

Archived