Foreign Languages

Guest samg123

Guest samg123

Do they teach foreign languages in OZ?

I am currently training to be a French Teacher and wondered if they teach French in Australia. If not, i will have to learn something new.

Sam

When you say they teach these subjects, are they taught just the basics or are they taught to a high standard? I think it's brilliant they are teaching the likes of Japanese and Mandarin. I realise that proximity will have a lot to do with it, but they will have such a great advantage worldwide if they can communucate with these areas in the forthcoming years.

We have one bilingual French/English school with native French speakers. However not many other schools choose French as their LOTE (Language Other Than English). Most of them tend to go for an Asian language by preference. I should think there would be one or two opportunities almost anywhere. The usual LOTE courses are fairly superficial with kids learning a few basic words and an appreciation of the culture and food of the country. Obviously at more senior levels you get higher level language skills.

Archived