How Long for a Rental in Perth

Candygirl

Could you tell me how long it took for you to obtain a rental in Perth.

I have earmarked a short term rental for 30 nights whilst our dogs are in quarantine, but my OH has now said he does not think this will be long enough.

This would be a real problem if the dogs were released and we have nowhere for them to go. TIA

I guess the problem is, most homes are saying "available now" so if you are looking 3/4/5 weeks in advance, you may struggle to get accepted. Seems like there is a lot of competition, and you would imagine, via law of averages, that one of the people keen, would be available to move in tomorrow. I move out next saturday and have a let arranged for 30 days also, for the same reason. Dont think I will be able to secure a rental when I am only available 6 weeks in advance.

Saying that. If you are able to cut short your short term rental, maybe with a weeks notice, you would always be one of the candidates that could move in relatively quickly

The rental market in Perth is apparently easing up a bit and is not quite as competitive as it has been in the last couple of years.. I suppose it depends on what area you are looking to rent in and what kind of property you are looking for.. There was a bit of chat about it earlier on a thread...

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/renting-real-estate/188797-perth-rental-glut.html

I moved from regional WA to Perth. It only took me two days to get a rental,I think that is unusual though. Went to a few viewings ( where 20 people turned up for each one). Then I heard from a friend about a private rental ( no agency yay) and got it - which I am loving.

My advice is to be just ahead of the game, have a rental pack already made up to handover.

I moved from regional WA to Perth. It only took me two days to get a rental,I think that is unusual though. Went to a few viewings ( where 20 people turned up for each one). Then I heard from a friend about a private rental ( no agency yay) and got it - which I am loving.

My advice is to be just ahead of the game, have a rental pack already made up to handover.

Thanks Sammy. I am in the middle of preparing a rental pack already. I have CVs for my two dogs, testimonials from my pet sitter and also character references, mortgage statement, pics of our existing house. I was also going to write a short history of us, who we are, what we do etc to build a picture. My OH thinks I may be going over the top, but I would rather do that than be unprepared. We rented in Sydney many years and it was a nightmare, in the end we went with a private landlord, who was brilliant and really looked after us.

Thanks Sammy. I am in the middle of preparing a rental pack already. I have CVs for my two dogs, testimonials from my pet sitter and also character references, mortgage statement, pics of our existing house. I was also going to write a short history of us, who we are, what we do etc to build a picture. My OH thinks I may be going over the top, but I would rather do that than be unprepared. We rented in Sydney many years and it was a nightmare, in the end we went with a private landlord, who was brilliant and really looked after us.

I did the same. I had references for my pets from a previous agent - it helps, trust me :)

This may sound irrelevant but do you both have jobs, because that will play a massive factor in being able to secure a rental quickly. If you don't have jobs, it could take alot longer.

Looked on a friday, had approval on the monday. We both work full time for big companies, both were contacted to ensure we did work there, my estate agent from the uk emailed the agent as id never rented before saying the house was clean etc. Oh and i bugged them from 8am until i got a yes answer !

I just wrote a blurb about my dog being well mannered etc

And also we took the place for 18 months also which i think swayed them massively in our favour.

This may sound irrelevant but do you both have jobs, because that will play a massive factor in being able to secure a rental quickly. If you don't have jobs, it could take alot longer.

I don't think it is irrelevant at all and a good point. As it stands we do not have jobs to go to. We can provide evidence of 6-12 months rental payments in a bank account. We may well secure jobs quickly as OH has employers who have asked him to contact them before he leaves and I will contact temp agencies before I leave, but I have to work on the assumption that we will be looking for a long term without employment in place as that is our current position.

We arrived in Perth on the 21st May and were really worried about how hard it would be to find a rental. We looked at 12 houses and only 2 of them had anybody else turn up to view. In the end we got one in Hillarys for $100 p/w less than they wanted and they had already reduced the rent by $200 per week. It really depends what your budget is, the demand for $500-$750 per week is still pretty big but not near as bad as it was. If you can do $750-$800 you really have your pick of some lovely properties that were renting for over $1000 a few months ago. Good luck, oh and the agents will want a small story about yourselves and what takes you to Perth, some like a family photo and plenty references. We don't have pets and my husband already had a job but with proof of savings I am sure you will be fine.

We could have moved in 3 weeks after we arrived so a month would have been fine but really all depends on the area and budget you have in mind.

it all sounds like such hard work, my only rental experience in the UK, we just picked an apartment we liked, told the estate agent when we wanted to view it, looked around and said "we will take it", no cv's or story or references , sounds like hard work in Aus, or at least in Perth

I don't think it is irrelevant at all and a good point. As it stands we do not have jobs to go to. We can provide evidence of 6-12 months rental payments in a bank account. We may well secure jobs quickly as OH has employers who have asked him to contact them before he leaves and I will contact temp agencies before I leave, but I have to work on the assumption that we will be looking for a long term without employment in place as that is our current position.

Youre struggling unless you geta 6 month paid up front and you will first I queue ,as for jobs it's slowing considerably here

Others already commented, but it took us 4 weeks, and we found one privately via Gumtree. The owner wasnt so interested in the rental pack, but us as people, as she wanted to be sure we looked after the house. We also looked after her cat, as she couldnt take it to her partners house.

The feedback from coworkers who have rental houses is that the market is slowing, but it depends on how much you want to spend. We moved away from Perth CBD, and paid $360 a week for a 3x1. I"m sure there are more top end houses available, not so sure about the bottom end of the market.

Finally it will allways be a challenge for new arrivals, because of our limited history, and lots of locals with local references. Agents arent so keen to phone the UK for references, if they have a local.

We also offered to pay 3 months rent it advance which helped.

Nick

We applied for one on gumtree,was amoung three other couples who also seen it on the day,did not get it and rushed in giving them paper work missed out on a few important things in our application pack,few days later we viewed 5 houses decided to apply for 3 one still to this day not heard anything,one we was too late had already been taken,could not believe how quick it went and the one we really want result we got,and this was just a few hours after handing in our application etc,there was a lot of folk viewing in on that day and we thought most unlikely we get it and we did.

We did not really have references from selling a house etc from home as still have it and be up for sale soon,only showing payment from a home we own,we are not working here yet which i thought would be the biggest issue for getting a rental and my biggest worry but as said we got it and well happy.

All them fears before coming over about getting a rental etc it worked out ok for us,if we decided to rent after this one again then we will have rental under our belt and be easyier next time.

Archived