Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest the stanleys

Hi debbie

I have not posted on this thread before , but have noticed you trained at SHU on the BA course. I also trained there and a few years down the line I am hoping to be heading to the East Coast! one of my collegues left for Perth earlier this year, seems we are all at it!!

Karen

Guest stone28

Can anybody clarify something for me?

I qualified as a nurse in 2002 then as a midwife in 2007 I have worked in both occupations. For the past 15 months I have been working as a midwife. However I wish to work as a nurse and midwife in Australia. I am applying to New South Wales board for re enrollment - had registration there in 2004-5 then for a modified skills assessment. However do I get my skills assessed as a nurse or a midwife? Then say if I went down the midwife route would I have to get the visa through being a midwife. If I did this as the visa is a 175 can I still be employed as both?

Thank you

Rebecca

hi stone 28 welcome to the forum

as to your question if you go on a 175 as a midwife you could work as a builder if you want..this visa once granted has no restrictions which is why it is classed as the 'gold' visa...as long as you are registered by your nursing board as a nurse and/or midwife you could work at whichever you want.

good luck

to all the previous and current SHU students...see you on the other side!!!!!!

**** got job offer!!! looks like i will be working for Ramsey Health, anyone any info on them???

debbie

hi anette

i am in theatres..i applied for armadale but was interviewed for both that one and hollywood by the head of nursing at hollywood so i think i am going to that one

are you there yet? were are you going to live?do you have family or just yourself?

Rita is sending me out a contract in the next couple of days so hopefully i will know soon and can start planning

good luck

debbie

Guest Donna0z

Mater Hospital.

Does anyone know or work at the Mater Hospital, St leonards, Sydney? I have an telephone interview with them tomorrow and would like some advice.

Thank-you.

well i am an idiot..keep calling the hospital armadale when it is attadale..............

and i GOT IT!

contracts out tomorow.. PR, full time in theatres at Attadale Private......so if anyone is already there giz a shout

debbie

Guest gibbboe

:wideeyed:Hello All,

I feel like I know some of you quite well from reading the threads ! I am a 3rd yr mental health student nurse, due to finish April 09. I have decided that as there are so few jobs to go to Oz . First choice Sydney, as I spent 6 months there (back in the day) or Melbourne where my best mate emigrated to. Is there anyone that can answer a nursing question? One of the nursing boards in NSW emailed me back to say I wasnt suitable for new graduate programme because will have completed a mental health course, but stated she would be happy to talk further about employment opportunities with the health board. Has anyone got sponsership from ahospital as a newly qualified without having any experience?

Many thanks,

E

Guest anette

I have a job in the AHollywood hosptial in Perth and I am a newly qualified Rmn with no experience! So it can be done! Your can apply for new graduate positions but they are very competative to get. Where have you applied so far? x

Debbie- Hey I am moving to Perth in January, coming alone but have lots of family there, whaT ABOUT YTOU ? X

Guest gibbboe

Thanks Anette,

I feel more confident now that you've mentioned you were employed without experience. I have contacted South Eastern Sydney Illawarra Health and they replied saying not not participating in new grad scheme at moment, Sydney South West Area Mental Health Service stated RMN not suitable for their new grad course but the recruiter asked me to contact them when they get back from their hols in a few weeks.

Going off topic for a moment, stuff in press about possiblity of massive increase in fuel surcharges on uk to Australia route. they saying could end up costing as much as flight + one airline is charging $1000 (Aussie dollars) fuel surcharge from !st July 2008!

Airline fuel surcharges reach $1000 - News - Travel - smh.com.au

Cheers

Guest keillands

Hi everyone..I m a midwife coming to Perth at the end of the year..got a job at Joondalup health campus...any other midwives in Perth on this site? Already know Debs clan & Fifer!!!

Guest Milly1

Hi everyone.Looking for some advice(surprise surprise!)IM an RGN last 7 years spent as a practice nurse now also working in sexual health as a health advisor.looking to relocate to Brisbane. recently sent documents to QNC realise I may have a long wait!!Wanting to stay in practice nursing/sexual health .Not been in hospital for 7 yrs also would have chilcare issues with shiftwork.Can anyone offer advice who to contact or agencies(as the ones I have seem only to help with hospital placements.Have done expression of interest for Queensland health.Thanks for any advice

Guest Moomin

Hi Sue,

just wondering if you can help as I noticed you are going over on a 457 and said you are working towards PR. I have been offered sponsorship on a 457 and hope to go to Perth, I'm a Mental Health Nurse. My worry is that the sponsors are saying I can apply for PR as soon as I get there, however when I have had a look at the DIAC website I can't see what visa I would then apply for. I have been told to apply for a 175 I would need to leave oz when it was granted but no one is saying what onshore visa for permanent residency I can apply for, what are you planning on doing???

help most wanted

Kate

Hi Sue,

just wondering if you can help as I noticed you are going over on a 457 and said you are working towards PR. I have been offered sponsorship on a 457 and hope to go to Perth, I'm a Mental Health Nurse. My worry is that the sponsors are saying I can apply for PR as soon as I get there, however when I have had a look at the DIAC website I can't see what visa I would then apply for. I have been told to apply for a 175 I would need to leave oz when it was granted but no one is saying what onshore visa for permanent residency I can apply for, what are you planning on doing???

help most wanted

Kate

We are in Perth on a 457 and hospital are sponsoring us for pr we have put the nomination form in and waiting for the immi

Malx

Hi Sue,

help most wanted

Kate

hi moomin

you would be 'Employer sponsored' (ENS 121-856) you dont need to go offshore for this one. you are oblidged to work for the sponsoring employer for 2 yrs but fromwhat i have read it is not enforced, for example, my employer is sponsoring me straight away for the ENS and in my contract it stipulates that if i leave early i have to pay back the relocation fee, which is fair

good luck

debbie

Guest Moomin

Cheers Debbie & Mal, I had a feeling I was gonna have to apply for the employer sponsored was just trying to avoid having to do that just in case I hate it. Doesn't help that I've got a friend there that tells me she wouldn't work in that hospital for a million$$$. But beggars can't be as they say so i best get on with it and hope to be there in March.

thanks again

Kate

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi TO EVERYONE, I AM HELEN A WARD SISTER WITH 23 YRS EXPERIENCE MAINLY IN ACUTE MEDICAL, CURRENTLY WORKING ON MAU AT DEWSBURY HOSPITAL. I WOULD LIKE HELP IN DECIDING WHERE TO GO, PERTH, ADELAIDE, OR MELBOURNE. I HAVE TWO FAIR HAIRED KIDS AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHICH AREA HAS THE BEST WEATHER. WE WANT A NICE LONG SUMMER NOT TOO HUMID OR SCORCHING HOT, BUT ALSO A COOLING OFF PERIOD IN WINTER AND DEFINATELY LESS FLIES BOTHERING US. ALSO I WANT TO WORK OUTSIDE THE CITIES IN AN AREA WHERE I CAN BUY AN HOUSE PREFERABLY A NICE NEW BUILD AND UP AND COMING AREA, ANY IDEAS. ALSO ANY GOOD SMALLER RURAL HOSPITALS THAT ARE WANTING UK NURSES. CHEERS FOR ANY HELP AND ADVICE, HELEN.N

hi moomin

if that hospital has a bad rep why dont you try for a different one? i am sure there are plenty out there :)

Ramsey health care are recruiting at the moment and are offering PR from the UK so no need for the 457

also do you have enough points for the 175 (120pts) or 176 (110pts) if you dont want to be tied to an employer...for my money 2 yrs is not so long and the security of having PR is great, plus this way i dont have to wait forever for the independant :)

good luck

debbie

Guest Graham&kym

Hmm location dependant on childs hair colour... discuss..oh and a new build! Made me laugh!!!!Sorry Hellen

Guest ashmalog
Hi everyone.Looking for some advice(surprise surprise!)IM an RGN last 7 years spent as a practice nurse now also working in sexual health as a health advisor.looking to relocate to Brisbane. recently sent documents to QNC realise I may have a long wait!!Wanting to stay in practice nursing/sexual health .Not been in hospital for 7 yrs also would have chilcare issues with shiftwork.Can anyone offer advice who to contact or agencies(as the ones I have seem only to help with hospital placements.Have done expression of interest for Queensland health.Thanks for any advice

Hi Milly

i too am a practice nurse but wanting to go to victoria. i would rather stay in practice nursing but it is so different out in oz - they are about 15 years behind the uk. i have just come back from a reckie and gathered a lot of info whilst out there. the doctors do mainly all the procedures out there and the nurses very little but i think it is changing slowly. also they get paid more than i do for very much less, sounds less stressful!! i went on careerone.com for jobs and emailed directly. they dont sponsor as private practice so we are going for PR (175)

Archived