Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Guest welshie123

Hi all

I'm in the middle of the process of moving to Perth (all alone) and could do with a bit of advice/guidance please. Sorry if my questions have been answered elsewhere.

I have my registration and was planning on going over on a 457 visa as I was told it's quicker. I have been offered jobs by Greylands, Perth clinic and Hollywood and am trying to decide which to go for :arghh:- all comments welcome.

Also, how long does the 457 take? I have to give 2 month's notice at work and want to be out there by mid-October.

I already have my police check but hadn't heard of the skills assessment before although from what I've read on here it seems this is something I MUST do, right?

Thanks in advance and best wishes to you all xx :spinny:

p.s. Is the money really as good as they're telling me? It appears to be about £10,000/year more!!!!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest welshie123
Hi Caroline, thanx for your reply. i was at my mental health info day yesterday but im still just as confused to be honest. uni says we can change at the end of first year but they really try to push to decide long b4 that! im really interested in forensic mental health but i think thats the only thing i would want to work in so i put this to a nurse yesterday and her reply was to say i need to remember im doing this training for 3 years and thats a long time if i dont like it! so i need to pick which one will keep me most interested? also ive read on a couple of occassions that nurses in oz arent given the same responsibilities as they are here so i would worry i would train for forensics to maybe not get work in that area and have to do some other mental health work im not really interested in?? im starting to ramble now but im trying to make a massive decision which will really shape my career on not very much info!! thanx again caroline x

Hi

I've been an RMN for 4 years and although I don't mean to be critical I would suggest that you should be a bit more open minded about what you're getting into. (Sorry if you find this patronising but I don't know how much experience you've already had)

When I went through my training I had the opportunity to experience many areas of MH nursing and was suprised by my change of opinion, some for the positive, others not.

Depending on your uni, if you start with MH all your placements should be MH related so your first year may be enough to steer you toward or away from MH as a career. I would suggest that when you're on placement you use the time to visit as many other services as you can. I did and this helped tremendously to experience as many different services as possible.

I sometimes kinda wish I'd done RGN, but hey, everything happens for a reason!

Good luck with your decision, hope this has helped xx:smile:

Guest welshie123
I have a job in the AHollywood hosptial in Perth and I am a newly qualified Rmn with no experience! So it can be done! Your can apply for new graduate positions but they are very competative to get. Where have you applied so far? x

Debbie- Hey I am moving to Perth in January, coming alone but have lots of family there, whaT ABOUT YTOU ? X

Hi Anette

I have just been offered a job there, what's it like? Also been offered a job at Greylands and Perth Clinic and having a hard time trying to decide which to go to

Thanks

Hi Everyone!!

I am new to this site. And think it's brilliant!! All you lucky peeps in Oz, I was there in 2003-2004 and I miss it everyday & cant wait to get back!!I am just about to start my 3rd year of my nursing degree and just wanted to ask for some advice! I am planning moving to Australia after i qualify (probably work here for a year 1st), my plan was to get sponsorship to go to Oz rather than emigrate. Can anyone advise me on this? Thank You x

Guest planky

Hi,

here it is:

fremantle hospital applied for visa nomination in 25/6/08...i was told to wait for a trn via e-mail and then to follow the instructions;

6 weeks have past, i have heard nothing...have contacted freo again who say to stop panicking the e-mail will come.......

any ideas anyone!!!!

alison

I applied for a job to Freo whilst in the UK - they sent off for references ... then I didn't hear anything at all - in the meantime I got offerred a job in Armadale and accepted that. I'm wondering if Freo are just very slow at responding.

Ali

Guest terendak

Hi everyone, nurses needed down here in Tasmania, beautiful island, cheaper housing than the mainland, easy going lifestyle. Google Tasmania and have a look. (No, I don't work for the Tasmanian tourist bureau) !!!

Mick

Guest ashmalog

this thread is amazing and must be the longest one going - well done all of you - there are loads of us wishing to escape the NHS so hold in there and your time will come - and mine hopefully.

this thread is amazing and must be the longest one going - well done all of you - there are loads of us wishing to escape the NHS so hold in there and your time will come - and mine hopefully.

welcome to "Life on mars" nursing in the seventies

Guest Andymacc

Job Offer accepted

Visa's granted

QNC Nurse Registration grated.

Anybody want to buy a 4 bed detached house in beautiful Northumberland??

Guest itskaren
Hi all

I'm in the middle of the process of moving to Perth (all alone) and could do with a bit of advice/guidance please. Sorry if my questions have been answered elsewhere.

I have my registration and was planning on going over on a 457 visa as I was told it's quicker. I have been offered jobs by Greylands, Perth clinic and Hollywood and am trying to decide which to go for :arghh:- all comments welcome.

Also, how long does the 457 take? I have to give 2 month's notice at work and want to be out there by mid-October.

I already have my police check but hadn't heard of the skills assessment before although from what I've read on here it seems this is something I MUST do, right?

Thanks in advance and best wishes to you all xx :spinny:

p.s. Is the money really as good as they're telling me? It appears to be about £10,000/year more!!!!

Hi, I came over to melbourne on a 457 visa. If I had the time again i would try for a 175 (ind) or 176 perm sponsorship. It does take a little bit longer but worth it in the long run. My opinion anyway! Good luck!

Hi everyone.

I have been offered a job at the Royal Adelaide hospital. At present i have my south australian nurses registration and i will shortly be sending of my visa forms (457). Just thought i'd ask a quick question.

I will be going with my daughter who is 6, i will have to work full time until i get PR but starting to think i'm mad.

Do they really have the childcare in OZ that will cover me working all our lovely shifts midweek and wkends?

And at the same time will i be able to survive on the money i will be getting and paying for this childcare?

I will say even if i get the response of no to these questions i will still be going, its something i need to do for myself and my daughter. I am hoping once i get PR (they have promised they will put us through for this after 3 months) things would settle down a bit.

I know its going to be hard work at first and i'm not expecting an easy ride, just thought i'd see whether any other single parents had made the move and how they coped with the shifts.

Thanks for any input in advance.

Emma.

Guest anette

Hey Welsh ! yeah I got sponsered to work at the Hollywood hosital! When will you be coming over? I was originally coming alone too so understand how scary it is so if you ever need a chat you know my user name :) :0

Guest itskaren
Hi everyone.

I have been offered a job at the Royal Adelaide hospital. At present i have my south australian nurses registration and i will shortly be sending of my visa forms (457). Just thought i'd ask a quick question.

I will be going with my daughter who is 6, i will have to work full time until i get PR but starting to think i'm mad.

Do they really have the childcare in OZ that will cover me working all our lovely shifts midweek and wkends?

And at the same time will i be able to survive on the money i will be getting and paying for this childcare?

I will say even if i get the response of no to these questions i will still be going, its something i need to do for myself and my daughter. I am hoping once i get PR (they have promised they will put us through for this after 3 months) things would settle down a bit.

I know its going to be hard work at first and i'm not expecting an easy ride, just thought i'd see whether any other single parents had made the move and how they coped with the shifts.

Thanks for any input in advance.

Emma.

Hi Ems

I think you will struggle. You have to work full time with the visa. I am not sure what your hospital will offer in the childcare front. I have got a husband and 2 children. My husband had to work around my shifts. It is desparately hard and I have my husband. I honestly hope that things work out for you and that you find some decent child care. i think you are very brave. Good luck to you. Sorry if I sound depressing!

Guest fiona10

Hi everyone! im an OH nurse moved to melbourne last sept im a one parent family with 3 kiddies had a few issues trying to get a job as they use occupational therapist rather than nurses in rehab work and part time was hard to find in industry but got there in the end. Fiona

Guest Amberjade78

Hi Bonnie!

I am a mental health nurse (currently working in the community), looking to move to Vic next year. Hopefully the Peninsula area, but that depends on where I get a job! We have two daughters under the age of 3, so juggling them with work and everything else will be fun i'm sure! I am in the process of applying the the NBV. What type of timescale have worked to? I can't wait to be out there, but OH (who's idea this was) wants to wait until Jan! x

Hi Ems

I think you will struggle. You have to work full time with the visa. I am not sure what your hospital will offer in the childcare front. I have got a husband and 2 children. My husband had to work around my shifts. It is desparately hard and I have my husband. I honestly hope that things work out for you and that you find some decent child care. i think you are very brave. Good luck to you. Sorry if I sound depressing!

Thanks for your reply. Don't worry about sounding depressing its good to know the facts, i think if you go and aren't prepared for a possible struggle you more likely to come home. I just need to make sure my daughters happy. Childcare is my biggest concern so i will just have to see how things go. I'll just have to hope i meet people who maybe need childcare to and we can swap favours.

I hope you continue enjoying things in OZ.

Emma.

Hi Ems, im sure ive spoken to you before on another forum.

Yes it will be hard to find childcare to cover all the shift times-but if your resourceful it can be done. You are doing the best thing by going for PR early on though, so even if it is really hard at first you know there is light at the end of the tunnel once your PR comes through. Im going to be starting in a new job in a few months that is quite a flexible area of nursing (recovery) they have staggered start and finish times so earliest is 8am so will be able to get daughter to childcare and finish times on lates are 8.30 (not usual 9.30pm)

Guest andrewbatt

me and my wife are looking to go to melbourne but im not sure how i apply for a job im a nurse in uk can you help

Guest ashmalog
Hi Bonnie!

I am a mental health nurse (currently working in the community), looking to move to Vic next year. Hopefully the Peninsula area, but that depends on where I get a job! We have two daughters under the age of 3, so juggling them with work and everything else will be fun i'm sure! I am in the process of applying the the NBV. What type of timescale have worked to? I can't wait to be out there, but OH (who's idea this was) wants to wait until Jan! x

are you doing the nbv reg first or the anmc? i found that the nbv were very quick once the anmc had received my transcript and they forwarded it all on for me at no cost. had it back within days of transcript being received. we are looking at next year also but have decided on the east coast - Berwick. had a reckie this year and loved the area. mornington penisula was gorgeous too but a little expensive to live. i am a practice nurse hoping to stay in practice nursing but australia are about 10-15 years behind us as so PN's are still dr's hand maidens - or so i hear!! not sure i want to give up the autonomy i have.

bonnie

Guest arundelfamily

Hi all

Sorry for invading your qualified nursing thread but I am nearly there.!!!!:twitcy:

We have only just joined this forum and already we have found out so much.

I am 24 and my partner is 27 we have just had little boy Ethan Wyatt who is 9 week old.

At the minute I am on maternity leave from my nurse training and I am due to qualify next October.

I am a qualified nursery nurse and my partner has been a joiner for over 10 years and he holds a CSCS card we had all intentions of waiting until I qualified before we began our visa application but recently we have been thinking that we should apply now as the process takes so long.

We have been thinking about applying under Mark but as I wont have any work experience as a nurse other than my training I am worried I may find it hard to get a job.

What are your opinions on this????

We have been looking into moving to the gold coast or sunshine coast.

We also have a dog and a cat that I am refusing to leave behind does anyone no what the process is for bringing pets along?????

Guest arundelfamily

Hi there

Does anyone Know if we chose to move out before I complete my top up degree is this available to do in oz???:jiggy:

Hi all

Sorry for invading your qualified nursing thread but I am nearly there.!!!!:twitcy:

We have only just joined this forum and already we have found out so much.

I am 24 and my partner is 27 we have just had little boy Ethan Wyatt who is 9 week old.

At the minute I am on maternity leave from my nurse training and I am due to qualify next October.

I am a qualified nursery nurse and my partner has been a joiner for over 10 years and he holds a CSCS card we had all intentions of waiting until I qualified before we began our visa application but recently we have been thinking that we should apply now as the process takes so long.

We have been thinking about applying under Mark but as I wont have any work experience as a nurse other than my training I am worried I may find it hard to get a job.

What are your opinions on this????

We have been looking into moving to the gold coast or sunshine coast.

We also have a dog and a cat that I am refusing to leave behind does anyone no what the process is for bringing pets along?????

Hi

OH can fill you in a bit on nursing I can tell you be a couple of grand for the pets where in sunny rotherham are you

Malx

aka Billy 6m

Guest arundelfamily

Oh they are definately worth it.. we live in wath had to love the weather on tuesday.. hail and terential rain-why do wanna move away from all this..

Archived