Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone could give some advice Re: claiming points for 189 visa

I have a Diploma of higher education and was wondering is this the equivalent of the Australian Diploma or Bachelor degree??? I am currently awaiting the outcome of my skills assessment, does ANMAC inform you of the Australian equivalent or points you can claim???

(Sorry if I have repeated a question already asked)

Thank you in advance

Michelle

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
New update on ahpra website in relation to international nurses

anmac stated my diploma same as degree in australia.

Just checked the AHPRA site and found this ,

The education institution that provided the program of study, and confirmed your qualification, has certified that you have successfully completed an assessment in medication management including drug calculation, pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics (if this information is not included in the course transcript).

:wideeyed:

Time to call the University again.

Hi Ayrshire,

just checked ahpra myself and am slightly confused. Im a MH nurse and during my course of study did drug calculations and medicine management however did not touch on or get assessed on pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics. so im guessing this would mean as a MH nurse you will not meet criteria 8, therefore wont be able to register with ahpra?

Hi, Jack

Iam posting for my Wife here,

I think what AHPRA are saying is if you cannot prove the above you will need to attend a bridging course (240 hours study!)

my Wifes Uni transcript states Pharmacokinetics but doesn't mention Pharmacodynamics - although they are similar subjects....I think from what i have read, so may possibly be rolled together in the same title?

anybody got any thoughts on this???

Hi,

Just emailed APHRA now to enquire regarding the above, it states should get a response within 2 working days so hopefully things will be a bit clearer when I hear back.

As a MH nurse this could be a disaster, I was hoping to apply next year when I have 3 years experience as I am already 40, if I get refused registration due to criteria 8 don't know what will happen as I assume to complete an approved programme of study you will already have to be in OZ. therefore wont be able to practice as a registered nurse until this is complete.

hi,

just emailed aphra now to enquire regarding the above, it states should get a response within 2 working days so hopefully things will be a bit clearer when i hear back.

As a mh nurse this could be a disaster, i was hoping to apply next year when i have 3 years experience as i am already 40, if i get refused registration due to criteria 8 don't know what will happen as i assume to complete an approved programme of study you will already have to be in oz. Therefore wont be able to practice as a registered nurse until this is complete.

it's not looking to good is it!

Hi Jac,

I am hoping it is different criteria for MH nurses but as above post states it only distinguishes between registered nurses and midwives, no mention of mental health nurses :(

I am stressing about this as this could mean my dream is over if this is the case as I don't think I could enter Oz as a student due to finances etc. I am currently studying for the IELTS and hoping this is not a waste of time, will have to wait for a reply from AHPRA and will let you know when I hear back.

Well I am sure they wouldn't just close the gates to so many MH nurses, most the employers I have contacted have been really keen to have some UK trained MH nurses in their teams. It just doesn't seem normal... I wish advice could be gained quicker, or the information was clearer and more explanatory on these websites... Do they not realise, its people's lives they are messing with!! I retrained and have been aiming towards this point since Jan 2008 and I really don't want to add another 240 hours of study to this!

Well I am sure they wouldn't just close the gates to so many MH nurses, most the employers I have contacted have been really keen to have some UK trained MH nurses in their teams. It just doesn't seem normal... I wish advice could be gained quicker, or the information was clearer and more explanatory on these websites... Do they not realise, its people's lives they are messing with!! I retrained and have been aiming towards this point since Jan 2008 and I really don't want to add another 240 hours of study to this!

as its just changed it might be a wee while before there's some decent info forthcoming but i wouldnt get too worked up as there was a similar lot of controversy when Ahpra took over from nursing boards and that sorted itself out. folk thinking Ielts was required and degrees only etc.

hi , some people like myself have had problems getting a detailed uni transcript / syllabus from their university covering exactly what modules and broken down hours spent on theory / practice . in my case this is because my university has changed the syllabus each year and have moved university sites etc..., in some peoples case its because they trained years ago and their nursing institution has shut down or did not keep records. to be registered by the nmc in the UK now you have to cover certain criteria in your nursing course and meet / complete eu directives. the nmc can verify your course has done this to aphra , and aphra have accepted thisfor other pio members instead of uni syllabus info.

pharmacology , medicines administration and management are covered and included in nursing courses in the uk as it is a fundamental role of a qualified nurse. if your uni info doesnt state it , get the nmc to verify to aphra for you like other pio members have, this is what i will be doing

with the new ahpra changes can you still send your application to a different office than you intend to live . from what people say the adelaide office seems to be quite slow , so thought i may send to perth instead .... however i intend to live and register to work in the adelaide area

Hi, Jack

Iam posting for my Wife here,

I think what AHPRA are saying is if you cannot prove the above you will need to attend a bridging course (240 hours study!)

my Wifes Uni transcript states Pharmacokinetics but doesn't mention Pharmacodynamics - although they are similar subjects....I think from what i have read, so may possibly be rolled together in the same title?

anybody got any thoughts on this???

hi michelle

my transcript just has headings including that of 'clinical skills' , but the syllabus content includes ' pharmacology' 'medicines management' and 'drug calculations'

not sure if this is enough for ahpra as doesnt say pharmokinetics or pharmacodynamics ......or is this covered under the term pharmacology do you think? ... im getting myself confused :)

Hi guys

Thought I'd jump in while on the subject of uni transcripts. I found my orginal uni transcript whilst searching for other documents. It lists all the completed modules and how many credits were gained. Is this good enough for anmac and ahpra?! Also I've read elsewhere the transcript needs to be stamped?!

Thanks in advance

Hi guys

Thought I'd jump in while on the subject of uni transcripts. I found my orginal uni transcript whilst searching for other documents. It lists all the completed modules and how many credits were gained. Is this good enough for anmac and ahpra?! Also I've read elsewhere the transcript needs to be stamped?!

Thanks in advance

You need hours of placement on it too...and if you are not sending the original you need to have it certified

Hi guys

Thanks in advance

my transcript only lists modules and credits like yours. my uni would not provide a breakdown of hours of my placements and dates. they said they do not hold that info now but it was as many hours needed to register with nmc , so i have applied to anmac and asked the nmc to confirm syllabus , eu directives and verify my course was accredited by the nmc. in the past ahpra and anmac have accepted this , because training institutions have closed down too , so everybody cant get this info from where they did their nursing course. the nmc do this for free,

my transcript only lists modules and credits like yours. my uni would not provide a breakdown of hours of my placements and dates. they said they do not hold that info now but it was as many hours needed to register with nmc , so i have applied to anmac and asked the nmc to confirm syllabus , eu directives and verify my course was accredited by the nmc. in the past ahpra and anmac have accepted this , because training institutions have closed down too , so everybody cant get this info from where they did their nursing course. the nmc do this for free,

Phew!

Thanks for this, hopefully going to submit my anmac application next week and then time to play the old waiting game

look on the nmc website and it will say about request for transcript/ syllabus info. also you will need a verification / certificate of good standing from the nmc which takes about 30 days for them to send out to anmac , you email nmc to request this , they take about a week to post out form for you to sign , you pay about £35 i think , send it back to the nmc and then they write to you to confirm they have actioned it.

good luck with anmac , it has been the longest wait of my life!!! hopefully i will hear something the end of this month.

look on the nmc website and it will say about request for transcript/ syllabus info. also you will need a verification / certificate of good standing from the nmc which takes about 30 days for them to send out to anmac , you email nmc to request this , they take about a week to post out form for you to sign , you pay about £35 i think , send it back to the nmc and then they write to you to confirm they have actioned it.

good luck with anmac , it has been the longest wait of my life!!! hopefully i will hear something the end of this month.

Hi

I have all the paperwork on standyby for the NMC, I haven't asked them to send my details yet, just in case ielts results are not acceptable. D-day is Friday for those results!

Wow! You have had a wait for your anmac haven't you! Thankfully I have a house extension to complete whilst I'm waiting so that should keep me busy. Hope you get some news soon

Archived