Jesus Christ Superstar

VERYSTORMY

I think the only venue it wasn't sold out was Melbourne. We saw it here in ADL last week - excellent show, even though Ben Forster was unwell so Jesus was played by his understudy (the runner up in the show that cast the role). He had a great voice too though - just didn't quite look as Jesus-y as Ben did! If you remember the show when it first came out and can't get tickets, the DVD is well worth getting too.

This is the ticket agency http://www.frontiertouring.com/

Saw it in the 70s. It was fabulous. Would worry about gong again incase I was disappointed.

I think they've done a really good job of bringing it up to date - riots, Guantanemo Bay etc.

I was also really surprised by the quality of Mel C's voice. Not sure why tbh as I like the duet she did with Bryan Adams way back when. She really manages to bring some emotion into her part - and boy, is she muscly!!

Was it just me though, not having grown up here, not recognising Jon Stevens or having a clue who he is is/was? Even when I read his biog in the programme...? He actually got a cheer when he made his appearance on stage in Adelaide so I presume he's another of those "incredibly famous in Australia" people whose fame never made it to Europe...?

I think they've done a really good job of bringing it up to date - riots, Guantanemo Bay etc.

I was also really surprised by the quality of Mel C's voice. Not sure why tbh as I like the duet she did with Bryan Adams way back when. She really manages to bring some emotion into her part - and boy, is she muscly!!

Was it just me though, not having grown up here, not recognising Jon Stevens or having a clue who he is is/was? Even when I read his biog in the programme...? He actually got a cheer when he made his appearance on stage in Adelaide so I presume he's another of those "incredibly famous in Australia" people whose fame never made it to Europe...?

Saw it at the Capital theatre in 1973. Sets were very minimal and ultramodern for the time. Trevor White played Jesus, Jon English - Judas, Reg Livermore - Herod and a very young Marcia Hines was Mary Magdalene. Apart from Marcia Hines, the cast were well known Australian actors. Jon English in particular. I assume he was who you meant when you wrote Jon Stevens and yes, Jon English was a very well known singer and actor even if he didn't go to Europe - that was their lose.

Didn't know who he was either. Thought the guy from deal or no deal was great. They couldn't have cast that better.

We were also surprised at Mel C. Much better than I expected.

I saw it in Perth on the opening night, there was a standing ovation at the end, it was absolutely incredible. Mel C has a beautiful powerful voice and Tim Minchin was just awesome. I really wasn't rating Ben till his big solo Gethsemene which left me and my companions open mouthed, he was stunning. The whole thing was just spellbinding to be honest, couldnt fault it.

Archived