Are you healthier over there?!

ghostgirl

No. I never get ill, no difference here or there. No colds, coughs etc.

My hay fever and dust mite allergy is a bit better here as I work out in the fresh air.

I drive much more here, and walk less. Weather is actually no better for doing stuff outdoors here for summer and winter at least. Autumn is unpredictable. Last week was 30c, this week has rained all week and I currently have four layers of clothing on.

Food, I eat about the same. I see FAR more hugely over weight people here than in the uk. Not the case in Melbourne though I noticed.

I only know a couple of sporty people here. I knew more people doing sport in the uk.

I don't drive & have been told Sydney is easy to walk around so I think I will be avoiding public transport and walking instead. I sat in work today for an extra half hour to avoid walking home in the rain & I live five minutes away, this British weather is making me so miserable. I know it rains in Australia but my god it surely isn't this cold over there!!

I must admit I'm shocked about the obesity comments. And about putting weight on during a WHV nooooo!! I'm not much of a drinker though, and lose my appetite in hot weather so maybe I will be ok! I hope!!!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On physical fitness terms I feel on a par with what I was back in the UK. I have more or less maintained the same fitness levels but I can say that I feel much healthier in Australia. I no longer have to walk outside on site in freezing cold weather wet weather that I was subjected to for a large percentage of the year back home and as a result my dodgy right knee which took a bit of a battering playing football in my youngers years no longer gets sore and stiffens up. I now no longer get eczema on my hands due to the cold damp weather which used to get quite bad around Autumn and Winter back home and the sun and clmate has just made me feel emotionally healthier and happier.

I'm so pale my hands turn blue/grey in winter and get so sore I can't move them very well, (not anywhere near as bad eczema!!) I don't ever want to suffer a British winter again.

edit: just read that Wikipedia page on obesity, 67% of Australians are overweight?! I'm really shocked!!

Edited by ghostgirl

Well I'm certainly not a lardarse or lazy, in fact I'm quite a small girl I was just curious about people's lifestyles changing because from what I've heard there are far more opportunities to partake in pleasurable outdoor activities in somewhere like Sydney than in wet, rainy, old Yorkshire.

I don't drive & have been told Sydney is easy to walk around so I think I will be avoiding public transport and walking instead. I sat in work today for an extra half hour to avoid walking home in the rain & I live five minutes away, this British weather is making me so miserable. I know it rains in Australia but my god it surely isn't this cold over there!!

I must admit I'm shocked about the obesity comments. And about putting weight on during a WHV nooooo!! I'm not much of a drinker though, and lose my appetite in hot weather so maybe I will be ok! I hope!!!

Ha, I was having a great time on my whv, don't drink myself, but just enjoying myself.

Presuming you won't be working full time constantly you will have plenty of time to partake in outdoor activities. Going to great barrier reef, going in boat trips etc etc, fab!

Edited by Wellers and Whitehead

When we first arrived, much to my disgust, I piled on about 8kg, partly due to the cheap (boxed) wine. So dangerous, you can't see how much you've had, that awful feeling when you pick it up in the morning and its way too light! The misconception that bbqd meats, fish and salads would keep me slim( yes but what about the cheese and dressings and bowl of chips to go with the first glass of wine).

3 years on, I decided enough was enough and lost 17kg, bringing me down to a healthy(ish) weight, I do a 30 min walk daily and the colds I suffered with every few months are now gone. Haven't had one in nearly 2 years. Not sure if that's because I'm generally healthier or coincidence. I guess what I'm saying is Australia doesn't make you fit, you decide if you're fit/unfit!

That is a matter of opinion

To be honest I really do love Yorkshire, I love Britain but I can't stand the cold winters/autumns/springs there are many beautiful places to walk around here, and in my native Northern Ireland but I bet you'd struggle to find someone who'd prefer a visit to the Giants Causeway on a windy, rainy day than on a sunny one. Still a breathtaking place, I just prefer my breath to be metaphorically taken away rather than actually knocked out of me by a gale force wind.

I have to admit when i was in Oz...i lost weight and felt healthier but i did more outdoor things and the weather helped, i also think i was more self conscious at having to wear more revealing clothes opposed to layering up...i did feel like there was a Maccy D's on every corner in Oz though...good job i don't like them much so steered clear or i could have piled the pounds on!

I have to admit when i was in Oz...i lost weight and felt healthier but i did more outdoor things and the weather helped, i also think i was more self conscious at having to wear more revealing clothes opposed to layering up...i did feel like there was a Maccy D's on every corner in Oz though...good job i don't like them much so steered clear or i could have piled the pounds on!

Yeah like I said, my new bikini will always be on my mind!! :)

I am looking forward to the swimming most of all, we don't have a pool nearby where I currently live without paying a fortune for a gym membership too!

I am veggie, certainly no McDonalds for me! I eat well, I think that must be how I stay the size I am because I know I don't do enough exercise apart from walking at the moment.

I am a healthier, but still overweight, here in Aus. I cook and eat better quality food (doing a lot more cooking at the weekend for the week's meals), and have started cycling which I never did in the UK.

On the other hand I used to enjoy fell walking in the Lake District, but would never go bushwalking at ground level over a similar distance here, it just doesn't have the same appeal. In the summer I walk to and from the station (2.5km each way) but that is pretty gentle, not as good for cardio as cycling.

Can only comment on our family experience, other posters have mentioned the stats re obesity, just another first world problem for Oz like many other first world countries. We however are trying to buck that trend. We've all lost weight, are all fitter and this morning in Brissy I dragged my two sons out of bed for a breakfast cuppa on the patio in a cloudless blue sky. On a glorious sunny day in the UK I would have been able to do the same but over here the good weather helps our family create new healthier habits as the weather is more consistent. You have to know however that my OH and I are particularly pathetic when it comes to the weather so it's no surprise that we prefer our days to be sunny and warm.:biggrin:

Guest Guest26012

We certainly do more outdoor stuff here, down to the weather I guess. We both put on weight and then lost it. I walk the coastal paths here which I love to do. We walk the dog, long walks either on the beach or in the bush. I'm not sure if we're healthier as were not spring chickens anymore and age will take its toll. We def eat healthier and cook from fresh.

Don't become a statistic:

Rates of obesity have increased for both adults and children over the past few decades. Comparisons among

other developed countries show that Australia has the second highest rate of obesity for males and the fifth

highest for females. Many experts are concerned about the effect rising obesity may have on our rates of

diabetes, heart disease and other disorders, perhaps even on our life expectancy. Halting and reversing this

trend is a national priority.

The rise in the proportion of Australians who are overweight or obese has occurred across virtually all ages. In

2007–08, 1 in 4 adults and 1 in 12 children were obese; this equates to almost 3 million people.

There is a relationship between socioeconomic status and obesity: people who live in the most disadvantaged

areas are more likely to be obese than people in less disadvantaged areas.

http://www.aihw.gov.au/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=10737422173

Guest Guest26012
Weather, weather, weather.. British people must be the only nation on the planet unable to cope with anything other than a blue sky.

Why can't you post something constructive?

Weather, weather, weather.. British people must be the only nation on the planet unable to cope with anything other than a blue sky.

Anyone who says weather doesn't matter is lying. I also don't understand how someone's opinion on what weather is good or bad can have such an effect on others... just so you know, the weather is not the reason I want to go to Australia. In fact I am going to really struggle with the sun as I am deathly pale but I'm not letting that put me off.

Anyone who says weather doesn't matter is lying. I also don't understand how someone's opinion on what weather is good or bad can have such an effect on others... just so you know, the weather is not the reason I want to go to Australia. In fact I am going to really struggle with the sun as I am deathly pale but I'm not letting that put me off.

So tell me how do the French, Dutch, Germans and all the Scandinavian country's cope better and seem to moan less than the British..?? You don't see hundreds of thousands of them down under.

So tell me how do the French, Dutch, Germans and all the Scandinavian country's cope better and seem to moan less than the British..?? You don't see hundreds of thousands of them down under.

Maybe they don't get such temperamental weather? The only Finnish person I know absolutely hates the snow but its to be expected over there, it only seems to have snowed terribly in Britain the past couple of years so we aren't used to it.

This is kind of irrelevant however, since I have just said I'm not going for the weather. No point getting your knickers in a twist over someone else's opinion of the weather.

I wouldn't say I am healthier .... I am older so I expect to have slowed down quite a bit .... I used to tun 3 to 4 km everyday in the UK, the weather gets very hot here and not always suited to doing a big run ..... the food .... Very much the same, I have put weight on but I am not a lard ()$& ..... just more fluffed out than I used to be .....

the dark nights kill it for me, I have tried cycling at dusk, 5 30 but got attacked by insects ..... we sometimes take a stroll down to the beach ... but nothing beats watching the sun set over the sea at around 9 pm .... It's quite scary being near the ocean in the dark ....

agree with others I have seen so many fat people here, that I feel super model thin at times, before I arrived I had this vision that everyone would be lithe and tanned, and panicked a bit because I was a bit cuddly .... But when I got here there were more fat white ghosts wearing sloppy clothes than the guys I had seen on the Fosters ads :wink: