Contraceptive injection - Perth?

sazgeering

Hey - do any women know if you can get the equivalent to the UK Depo contraceptive injection in Perth?

I don't really want to change what I'm on just now, and might be leaving soon, so need to have an idea of whether I can get it there or not...its every 3 months so I'll need to make sure I get organised so that I don't miss the next injection.

Thanks for any info! :-)

I don't know for sure but if you contact WA Sexual Health Services in Northbridge they will be able to tell you. I see absolutely no reason why not.

I appreciate that you've just said that you don't want to change your current regime, BUT just in case they don't do the injections out in Perth, you could consider getting the implant? See what your GP/clinic says as if you go ahead, then that's you sorted for the next 3 years? :)

The implant and injection are complete nightmares!

You mean for you I presume, since you aren't in Australia yet? The injection didn't suit me either and neither did the hormone coil.

You mean for you I presume, since you aren't in Australia yet? The injection didn't suit me either and neither did the hormone coil.

Yeah i meant for me healthwise sorry. The implant made me balloon, the injection was almost as bad. My moods went crazy (even more than normal!). My hairs been falling out but its a good thing i have plenty of it. Few other things aswell. They are a necessary evil i suppose lol

Thanks ladies! I can't seem to find any other threads when searching - but will try to contact the centre in Northbridge and see what they say!

I'm a bit of a woos when it comes to the implant - just can't bring myself to do that - also the benefits for me being on the injection - don't want to lose them if I don't have to!

:-)

Thanks ladies! I can't seem to find any other threads when searching - but will try to contact the centre in Northbridge and see what they say!

I'm a bit of a woos when it comes to the implant - just can't bring myself to do that - also the benefits for me being on the injection - don't want to lose them if I don't have to!

:-)

Good luck! I would look for the threads for you but i dont have my laptop atm. I was a woos with the implant too, i had to get it removed recently and i thought i was going to faint lol

Good luck with the injection! :)

I would think so. I'm a Practie Nurse in Vic and we have patients on it so I'd say yes. You'll have to get a script from your new GP when you get here. As to the implant vs depo as an ex family planning nurse before I moved here the imp would be a good consideration & get it done in the UK as you'd have to pay $'s here

you are in luck.... perth does do it. l have a client on it.....remember you pay for contraception here....

Hey - do any women know if you can get the equivalent to the UK Depo contraceptive injection in Perth?

I don't really want to change what I'm on just now, and might be leaving soon, so need to have an idea of whether I can get it there or not...its every 3 months so I'll need to make sure I get organised so that I don't miss the next injection.

Thanks for any info! :-)

• 2 weeks later...
I think I will get implant back in so it's one less thing to worry about.. Well at least for 3years anyway! :-)

Has anyone changed from the injection to the implant?

Are the side-effects the same? for example I get a very good convienient side effect each month from the injection and don't want to lose it - so would the implant be the same?

:confused:

Has anyone changed from the injection to the implant?

Are the side-effects the same? for example I get a very good convienient side effect each month from the injection and don't want to lose it - so would the implant be the same?

:confused:

It all depends, everyone is different, it's just a case of trying it and finding out, you can have it removed at anytime, you do not have to wait til 3years, alot of people do like implant because you might not have the monthlys!! but that's not the case for everyone.

Thanks practicenurse - I might look into it - I'm just a whimp though, and after 3 years I'd probably completely forget when it would need to be changed!

Those people in Oz on the injection - I've heard it costs about $16 for the prescription and $40 for the doctors appointment, I saw someone say the medicare refunds some of this - how long does it take to get some of that money back?

Thanks again people! :-)

Thanks practicenurse - I might look into it - I'm just a whimp though, and after 3 years I'd probably completely forget when it would need to be changed!

Those people in Oz on the injection - I've heard it costs about $16 for the prescription and $40 for the doctors appointment, I saw someone say the medicare refunds some of this - how long does it take to get some of that money back?

Thanks again people! :-)

You wouldn't forget, and you do get a card to remind u when it runs out, I've 2 in the past, it's fine getting them in. I'm seriously considering getting one back in again!