Perth arrival at last

Jake max

Well we are here at last landed on the 1/4/2013 in perth after flying from Glasgow to perth via Dubai.

Flew with emirates and must say they have cut back on the free drinks and food on the plane which is a pity

as i was the first to champion them.Do not get me wrong you do get food and drink on the flight but not what yo used to get back two years ago maybe a sign of the times ,the flight went as per planned but with a 2.5 year old its hard for them and when they kick off

not much you can do but go with the flow.

Perth must first impressions are very clean and friendly,Every ex pat we have encountered have been very helpful for instance i phone to book a car hire in Rockingham and the first one promised to phone back never did.The second port kennedy car hire were fantastic they came and picked me up and John from there gave me helpful advice which was most humbling considering they do not know me.My first impressions is that its seems very buoyant here not like the Uk at present no signs of a recession here from shopping malls to building sites every where seems busy not sure what is driving the economy here cant just be the mining sector but first signs look good.

Emotions are kicking in and my wife and myself are both out of sorts at the moment but being keeping busy sorting out car hire,mobile phones,internet,shopping,siteseeing and trying to adjust to the time change for sleeping.

Perth seems a good fit for families not sure what the nightlife is like but thats not our thing anymore so it suits us well safe and clean as well as freindly

Will keep you updated on how we get on with sorting the rest of the stuff out tax number,s medicare and most importantly work

but for now were enjoying our new life down under

its Great so far so good

thanks

Well we are here at last landed on the 1/4/2013 in perth after flying from Glasgow to perth via Dubai.

Flew with emirates and must say they have cut back on the free drinks and food on the plane which is a pity

as i was the first to champion them.Do not get me wrong you do get food and drink on the flight but not what yo used to get back two years ago maybe a sign of the times ,the flight went as per planned but with a 2.5 year old its hard for them and when they kick off

not much you can do but go with the flow.

Perth must first impressions are very clean and friendly,Every ex pat we have encountered have been very helpful for instance i phone to book a car hire in Rockingham and the first one promised to phone back never did.The second port kennedy car hire were fantastic they came and picked me up and John from there gave me helpful advice which was most humbling considering they do not know me.My first impressions is that its seems very buoyant here not like the Uk at present no signs of a recession here from shopping malls to building sites every where seems busy not sure what is driving the economy here cant just be the mining sector but first signs look good.

Emotions are kicking in and my wife and myself are both out of sorts at the moment but being keeping busy sorting out car hire,mobile phones,internet,shopping,siteseeing and trying to adjust to the time change for sleeping.

Perth seems a good fit for families not sure what the nightlife is like but thats not our thing anymore so it suits us well safe and clean as well as freindly

Will keep you updated on how we get on with sorting the rest of the stuff out tax number,s medicare and most importantly work

but for now were enjoying our new life down under

its Great so far so good

thanks

I know jake max: yer lying you hate it in WA and your missing me back in Scotland lol

Well just about a week in now and its been very busy with a 2.5 year old getting bored driving around in the back of a car.

Overall i have found people to be very helpful and one tip that i would give is if you know someone here phone them for tips or meet up

This i done today seeking work within the construction sector .It helps to speak to someone in the same field and put my mind at rest.On the house hunting front

it can be unsettling to try and work out where to look.This is our choice and this and many other forums have debates on here to stay but for now i,m concentrating on where we feel is good for us.We started of in Rocking-ham with our rental have looked at all areas around there ,as some have mentioned some suburbs dont look as up and coming as others .For instance you can go past some nice houses only for an older one to be in the middle of these and the older one can look very much 1960 square box bungalow .Today we went further down to Secret Harbour and from the moment we drove into the are we both got a very good feeling.As people have commented on this forum not a lot there but thats the beauty of it has the feeling of a great family place for me.

Coming from Scotland to have sand at your feet parks and the weather well were happy here will keep you updated on progress

The Gordon Family

• 2 weeks later...

Well month in flew past to be honest

Managed to get a rental which is as everyone says mad busy over here just set up a portfolio before you come ref etc

Purchased cars opened bank accounts got tax file numbers joined Medicare same as NHS tbh

Ex pats and Aussies are friendly enough if you a sk you will get information as simple as that .i ask everyone I meet

and it's humbling that expel take there time to help

Work it's a world of difference here seems to be a busy wherever you go from building work to shopping malls all seems busy

Perth does seem expensive when you arrive but you soon get used to the price change

You can live as on a decent salary and plenty of places to go and get fresh fruit and meat from ask the locals or ex pats I have found that a great source of information

​take care loving my new life down under

Guest scrumpy
Well month in flew past to be honest

Managed to get a rental which is as everyone says mad busy over here just set up a portfolio before you come ref etc

Purchased cars opened bank accounts got tax file numbers joined Medicare same as NHS tbh

Ex pats and Aussies are friendly enough if you a sk you will get information as simple as that .i ask everyone I meet

and it's humbling that expel take there time to help

Work it's a world of difference here seems to be a busy wherever you go from building work to shopping malls all seems busy

Perth does seem expensive when you arrive but you soon get used to the price change

You can live as on a decent salary and plenty of places to go and get fresh fruit and meat from ask the locals or ex pats I have found that a great source of information

​take care loving my new life down under

May I ask what you do for a living, and how are you finding the work situation?

So glad everything is running smoothly

Cheers

Hi Scrumpy we are south of the river near Rockingham ,I'm in the construtuion sector, so seems to be not what you know here more who you know tbh.

Its about getting out there and putting youself about ,i have found myself selling myself not what i had to do in the uk ,but then i had a network there so its like riding a bike again .As i have been told might have to take a crappy job at first then less crappy until i know the lay of the land and get a decent job but if thats what it takes to feed my family I'm doing it

Don't belieave the bull that not all members post here but some ,its a nice place great outdoor lifestyle seem to cater for kids.

We went to fremantle on Anzac day which is a thursday and was unbelievably busy,we were out all day with the kids and loved it

Went to creepy creatures a pub come resturant and they have a massive sand play area for the kids with toys in it to play.

My son loved it so did we great day with friends

Food is great and had a few pints also which for the first time here i relaxed and enjoyed myself ,after the move it has been nice to enjoy ourselves

cheers Jake glad you're settling in so well

Hi Scrumpy we are south of the river near Rockingham ,I'm in the construtuion sector, so seems to be not what you know here more who you know tbh.

Its about getting out there and putting youself about ,i have found myself selling myself not what i had to do in the uk ,but then i had a network there so its like riding a bike again .As i have been told might have to take a crappy job at first then less crappy until i know the lay of the land and get a decent job but if thats what it takes to feed my family I'm doing it

Don't belieave the bull that not all members post here but some ,its a nice place great outdoor lifestyle seem to cater for kids.

We went to fremantle on Anzac day which is a thursday and was unbelievably busy,we were out all day with the kids and loved it

Went to creepy creatures a pub come resturant and they have a massive sand play area for the kids with toys in it to play.

My son loved it so did we great day with friends

Food is great and had a few pints also which for the first time here i relaxed and enjoyed myself ,after the move it has been nice to enjoy ourselves

Archived