Help - costly flights home!

buckydee

I don't mean to teach you to suck eggs, but airlines have a habit of increasing prices every time you come back to check their prices. If you use your browser in incognito mode, or clear your cache and cookies, before visiting their airline's site, you may find the price drops a little.

do they really ? That is very sneaky.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is very interesting. Strangely enough I have found the opposite. I usually leave booking until the last minute and keep checking prices and sure enough they come down the closer it gets - well until you get within a few days and then they increase

Good advice! Train companies in the UK do the same thing.

I don't mean to teach you to suck eggs, but airlines have a habit of increasing prices every time you come back to check their prices. If you use your browser in incognito mode, or clear your cache and cookies, before visiting their airline's site, you may find the price drops a little.

We have found it substantially cheaper to fly into Dublin rather than London or Manchester, then take the ferry over and picking up a hire car at Holyhead. Even with the ferry fares added, it works out much cheaper.

This is a good tip. I save a fair bit by flying into Amsterdam instead of London, then booking a local flight from there to wherever I'm going (I sometimes visit family in Aberdeen first, other times family down south).

I suppose you have to compare cheapness to convenience, I personally would not do that, to me it adds to the overall travel time, changing planes, terminals, carting luggage, passport control in and out and in again, a lot more hassle if travelling with children especially after a long haul flight.

I always look for the cheapest convenient flights to suit my itinerary, this may not always work out to be the actual cheapest in $ paid out but it is the cheapest option for me.

You could just about fly back using budget airlines but I would think that very few would do this, because we compare the convenience of such a journey