Skills assessed......................and points awarded please help!

daz81

Hey everyone,

My husband and i are hoping to gain a 189 visa and have just began the whole process of collecting information etc.

Where I am confused is on the skills assessment?

My husband is a carpenter and his assessor is TRA. They require you to send all qualification proof, payslips etc etc and only charge $300 for this with no practical exam,......

but other carpenters on this forum have paid £1000 to VETASSESS to do a practical exam and interview?

What i don't understand is why one requires a practical and one doesn't?

Do the people who do VETASSESS not have any physical paper qualifications or certificates, hence why they have to prove their skills practically?

I just do not want to send of all this paperwork and NVQ's etc to TRA to find out we then have to pay £1000 to be VETASSESS assessed as well?

Also once you have passed your skills assesement are you awarded points for your trade to boost your over all points score?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

$300 doesn't sound right, even if you served your time in australia and went for Pathway 2 its more than that.

Vetassess is the approved registered organisation on behalf of TRA I believe. Hopefully another joiner/carpenter can shed some light on this but something doesn't ring true with what your referring to.

http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_australia/ts_fees_payment.cfm

My trade is an electronic security technician, i have had my skill assessed by vetassess. The first part of the assessment is paperwork, ie payslips certificates etc. ( Send certified copies only, you will not get the originals back and you will need them later on)

The second part which they fail to mention is the practical exam, mine was a web conference with someone else in my field, this was around $1400 (£999).

You dont get any points for your skill asassesment, you need your skills assessment before you can even lodge your expression of interes (EOI).

I have just undertaken the long task of the 189 visa, i did this on my own, if you have any more questions just ask.

Hey everyone,

My husband and i are hoping to gain a 189 visa and have just began the whole process of collecting information etc.

Where I am confused is on the skills assessment?

My husband is a carpenter and his assessor is TRA. They require you to send all qualification proof, payslips etc etc and only charge $300 for this with no practical exam,......

but other carpenters on this forum have paid £1000 to VETASSESS to do a practical exam and interview?

What i don't understand is why one requires a practical and one doesn't?

Do the people who do VETASSESS not have any physical paper qualifications or certificates, hence why they have to prove their skills practically?

I just do not want to send of all this paperwork and NVQ's etc to TRA to find out we then have to pay £1000 to be VETASSESS assessed as well?

Also once you have passed your skills assesement are you awarded points for your trade to boost your over all points score?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

As mattybe says, Vetassess do the assessments on behalf of TRA.

It sounds like the same thing I came across. If it is, the $300 assessment you have quoted is for a qualification only assessment by TRA. Vetassess do this as part of your skills assessment, but it is the full skills assessment by them you will need for the 189.

If your husband has a qualification that is recognised by Vetassess in his skills assessment, he can claim points for it.

Hey everyone thank you so so much for replying, its sooo appreciated.

Right I now understand we have to do both paper and practical skills assessment through both TRA & VETASSESS.

My next problem is points.....we're short and need points from the qualification.

How do we find out before we even begin if a NVQ 2 in carpentry with be recognised by VETASSESS and points awarded??

Once again thank you all. Ill be heartbroken if no appoints can be gained from this :(

Hey everyone thank you so so much for replying, its sooo appreciated.

Right I now understand we have to do both paper and practical skills assessment through both TRA & VETASSESS.

My next problem is points.....we're short and need points from the qualification.

How do we find out before we even begin if a NVQ 2 in carpentry with be recognised by VETASSESS and points awarded??

Once again thank you all. Ill be heartbroken if no appoints can be gained from this :(

Vetassess do both, in 2 stages. You begin with submitting your paperwork for stage 1, training and employment check.

What is the training and employment check?An assessment of your documentary evidence submitted with your application, eg training certificates / qualifications, resume, employment history. An assessor evaluates this evidence against the Australian qualification requirements to determine if you should proceed to the next stage of the assessment.

You pay $600 for stage 1. Then the appropriate fee for either Technical Interview or Practical Assessment.

Hi daz81 , my husband is a carpenter/joiner we thought we had to send docs and payment to tra and did so ,we were then lucky enough to get a letter from tra sayin they did not deal with our skills assessment it was vetassess and we were refunded. U have to do the first part of application form online through vetassess then make first payment of £600 then send off documents once u recieve sucssessful reply about docs u then arrange and pay for either technical interview or practical its yourchoice which one , my husband did the technical interview as it was quicker to arrangs. Hopethis helps

I'm not sure about carpentry but I'm a printer and TRA didn't recognise anything less than NVQ level 3. As for points allocation, this was done on my 190 by DIAC and I think it's the same for 189? (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) There is a points assessment service provided by TRA for another $300 but most people don't pay for this unless DIAC actually request it.

The points are listed on skillselect under 'points' on either the 189 or 190 sections. It says 10 points for diploma or trade qualification completed in Australia or qualification or award of a recognised standard.

Ive asked this question on here lots of times and never bn given a def answer cos if we can claim for aqf and trade qualifacation oh wont need to sit ielts again sorry cant answer yer question but hopefully someone can for both of us

Just copied this off skillselect for you. Hope it makes sense, I've underlined what I think answers your question.

You can receive up to 20 points based on your educational qualifications at the time you were invited to apply.

Points can be awarded for only one of your recognised qualifications. For example, if you have completed a Bachelor degree and a Doctorate degree, you can receive points for the Doctorate degree only.

To receive points for a Masters degree, you must also have a Bachelor degree, or the Masters degree must be considered as at least comparable to Bachelor level at Australian standards.

The authority that conducts your skills assessment will determine whether any qualifications earned outside Australia are of a standard that is comparable to the relevant Australian qualification.

You may be able to receive points for a qualification that is not related to your nominated occupation. If the authority that conducts your skills assessment cannot give you an opinion about this qualification, contact Vocational Education Training and Assessment Services.

The table below sets out the points available and the evidence you must provide with your application. The documents you provide to the department will be the same documents you provide to the assessing authority.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TH]Points[/TH]

[TH]Evidence required[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]20[/TD]

[TD]Documents that prove you have a Doctorate degree[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]15[/TD]

[TD]Documents that prove you have at least a Bachelor degree (including a Bachelor degree with Honours or Masters)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]Documents that prove you have an Australian Diploma or trade qualification[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]Documents that prove you have an award or qualification recognised by the assessing authority in the assessment of the skilled occupation[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

You should check with your assessing authority about documents that have to be provided to them to enable them to provide an opinion about qualifications and/or skilled employment. You must provide the department with copies of all the documents that you provide to assessing authorities.

Edited by Gareth 666

If VETASSESS has considered your Certificate in their assessment you can select “Other Qualification Recognised by an Assessing Authority” from the list when entering into EOI. This gives 10 points.

I submitted 3 qualifications and the NVQ 2 was the one referred to in the training and employment outcome letter.

Craig6686 I wonder if they ignored your nvq2 because you had a nvq3? Did you get points for your nvq3 then?

yes I got points for the level 3. There was some lads with level 2s who were graded one below the lads with level 3s something like grade a assessed and grade b or something like that. The lads with level 2s did pass and were awarded points if you pass you get points. Then you get a CPC30208 certificate 3 in carpentry which I believe is the Aussie equivalent.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am a carpenter just starting the process and was wondering the exact same thing as yourselves. I have a friend who paid £1500 for a vetassess practical test but he did not have his original certificates and wondered if it was totally necessary for someone who does. I was hoping going through the TRA and paying $300 would be enough?!

Did you get any answers to your questions?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks, Matt