Anyone moving to Brisbane in 2014???

flissbob

Hi, we are due to move over in March, very excited but getting very hectic with just a couple of months to go, and with a 4month old and 1 year old in tow! Hubby has a job in carseldine so we are looking around this area for rentals. Does anyone know of any short term rental places for when we arrive?? Needed for 4-6 weeks, north of the CBD.

Carseldine borders my suburb. Take a look at Bracken Ridge for rentals. There's new properties in carseldine but rents may be higher and the older properties, although cheaper, may not suit. It's a growth suburb. Feel free to ask for help before, or when you land. I'm trying to guess where he's secured employment as the only commerce in carseldine (that I know of) is a major road project and smallish shopping precinct

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Johndoe!

I had come across Bracken Ridge during my research so will have a better look here. I may be in touch again soon to pick your brains if you don't mind?! He's got a position at a dental practice in Carseldine.

Thanks again

Thanks Johndoe!

I had come across Bracken Ridge during my research so will have a better look here. I may be in touch again soon to pick your brains if you don't mind?! He's got a position at a dental practice in Carseldine.

Thanks again

OK, feel free to fire away if need be.

Hi, we ( that is me and hubby, son 14 & daughter 9) are hoping to move over early mid 2014, just need to get the P.R visa granted, sell the house & get the dog sorted ! we are also from Yorkshire, and will be looking to meet up and make friends .We will be going over blind no jobs, but hopefully manage to secure a rental property beforehand ( that's a must really)We have been looking at Upper Coomera / Nerang areas. if anybody has any views over these areas / schools in the area that would be appreciated.

my husband is a First class metal machinist / CNC programmer. and i work in Administration.

I have been looking on the job sites but it's looking doubtful that we will be able to secure a job before we arrive, so we will need to hit the ground running .....

Hi, just saw this, would suggest you give Upper Coomera State College a miss, have a look At Lords its a new Lutheran College http://lords.qld.edu.au/, not a lot of facilities being new but it is growing rapidly with the Tennis Courts now going in. Fees are very reasonable. Other wise for primary have a look at Coomera Rivers State School, very nice school https://coomerariversss.eq.edu.au/Pages/default.aspx

Got a friend who works at a school in Upper coomera, i've just come back from a month there. I'd leave the state college well alone as it doesn't have a good rep, but Coomera Anglican College and Saint Stephens are very good. I know a teacher at Saint Stephens and an assistant at Coomera Anglican, so if you want some info drop me a pm and i'll drop them a mail.

Edit; i'm a newb here, just starting the visa process. If i'm lucky enough to get one, i'll be looking to live in Upper Coomera.

What are everyone's views on the schools in Helensvale ?

There are over 2000 students in the high school, so i guess depends if your child is use to that size school, have at look at the my school web site for Naplan results, not that good for primary. There are some good private schools close by and if you dont have to live in helensvale Coomera Rivers Primary is a good school, but you need to be in the cathment area as it is highly sought after as a primary school.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

We are Anni & Rob (26/28), moved to Brisbane on 07/01/14 on WHV but we are now starting the process of applying for 189 (Developer/Programmer).

We currently live in New Farm.

X

Hi Annis

My pals are doing the same at the moment about to go over on a working holiday visa and then look for sponsorship in the childcare industry...

Can I ask how you got on getting a rental property on a WHV?

Thanks

Sam

Hi all, we arrived in Brisbane in November and absolutely love it. We looked at North Lakes which is lovely and up and coming but it hasn't a train station so was a no for us. Albany Creek and Murrumba Downs aree also nice places for families and fairly affordable too, but again no trains, although the bus network is pretty good.

We chose Sandgate as it's on the coast, 30 mins from the city and right on the main train link, with lovely shops and places to eat and a range of good schools, but Brighton and Redcliffe are equally as nice too as is Taigum. Everything is pretty close together surprisingly so you'll be sure to find a great place to live.

If you are planning on renting you need to be aware that it's not as easy or as straight forward as the UK and could prove frustrating. Very few agencies will let you lease a place before seeing it and before they have met you. If there are two of you on the lease then they will want to have met both of you before they put forward your application. They also don't show houses after 5pm and usually after 2 on a Saturday so you have to be pretty organised. They very rarely respond to online enquiries or arrange viewings outside of their prearranged open house times, and it's up to you to contact them about new properties coz they don't contact you. The good thing is that you can negotiate on the rent!

Good luck all, it's a great place to be!

Naomi

Hi Annis

My pals are doing the same at the moment about to go over on a working holiday visa and then look for sponsorship in the childcare industry...

Can I ask how you got on getting a rental property on a WHV?

Thanks

Sam

Hi Sam,

We actually got a medium term rental (3 Months) before we got here and will move into somewhere that is ours at the end of March. Friends of ours moved into short term lets for a week+ whilst they looked for a rental as its cheaper than a hotel and easier to look for places once you're here so that would be my suggestion! Hope that helps!

Anni x

hey guys, me and my other half have been in Australia since December 2011, moved to Birkdale ( Brisbane baysides) in july 2013. Im 23 and a store manager and my other half dan is 26 and a mechanic. its so hard to find people here that are our age without kids who have made the move! we should all have a little get together at some point! xx

The other way to do is to let a relocation agent or similar organise a rental property on your behalf so that it is ready for you when you arrive. I often do this for families moving interstate as it is cheaper than them flying over and looking around or taking a holiday let and looking themselves. The same approach can apply for international relocatees

Shelley

Hi Sam,

We actually got a medium term rental (3 Months) before we got here and will move into somewhere that is ours at the end of March. Friends of ours moved into short term lets for a week+ whilst they looked for a rental as its cheaper than a hotel and easier to look for places once you're here so that would be my suggestion! Hope that helps!

Anni x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nicole 84

Hey, We are moving to Brisbane in April too. We made the move from the UK a year and a half ago and have been living in Melbourne every since. My husband has now got a transfer to work in Brisbane, which we are both really looking forward too, only thing is we don't know anybody there. Would be great to meet up with some fellow poms in the same situation. The website wouldn't let me send a PM until I posted a message. So I"ll PM you soon and hopefully we can sort something out, Good luck with the move !

Hey, We are moving to Brisbane in April too. We made the move from the UK a year and a half ago and have been living in Melbourne every since. My husband has now got a transfer to work in Brisbane, which we are both really looking forward too, only thing is we don't know anybody there. Would be great to meet up with some fellow poms in the same situation. The website wouldn't let me send a PM until I posted a message. So I"ll PM you soon and hopefully we can sort something out, Good luck with the move !

I cam out on my own 6 weeks ago but we should arrange a pom in oz meet up for everyone on here later in the year

Hi,

I'm hoping to come off tranche 4 MOD redundancy in june which would give me and the wife and daughter a tidy sum of coinage to set us up over there, but keep our property in the UK as a pension for later on in life. I have been twice to Oz both for 6 weeks at a time and must admit it really is a fantastic place. Sydney was nice but very expensive, Brisbane is just like the UK plenty of brits to make friends with and socialize and lots to see and do, i also went to Melbourne was ok again didn't really find it like home but Perth i must say was the place i loved, have a uncle there so enjoyed it very expensive but ya can find the bargains if ya look and im from pontefract so i find the bargains lol. i have plenty pics on Brisbane if you would like them emailing, it would defo sell Brisbane to anyone thinking of going the scenery is amazing.

Brian

Hi all,

Im james, and amanda is my wife, we are hoping to be moving over in September 14. We got our 189 visa confirmed last week, so all is on track. We have 2 girls (1 &4) and will be looking to meet lots of new faces when e get over.

We are both looking for work at the moment (Aircraft technician & Accountant) so if anyone if looking to employ either, please get in touch.

We are both getting both excited and nervous at the move, but we're sure thats pretty normal. Interesting to read the comment on claiming back childcare costs, that will be welcome!!