Racism

Kelvin Charles

Aussies eagerly search out convicts in their ancestry- so proud if or when they find one. Somehow I can't see that happening in the UK. Probably we are not as politically correct as they are over there - but they are sure working on it, unfortunately. Soon you won't be able to say anything without looking over your shoulder....

I would imagine though there should be less racism against Eastern Europeans in countries such as Oz/Us as they are not part of Europe?

There have been waves of migration from Eastern Europe to Australia - refugees after WW2 from all over, after the 1956 uprising in Hungary, after the 1968 "Prague spring". There were so many Polish soldiers from the WW2 North African campaigns in Australia that they had their own associations here and marched in their own separate units in Anzac Day marches. I doubt if anyone here would blink an eyelid at your nationality. You only have to hear the very "Aussified" young things with their very Slavic surnames to realise how many have migrated over the years.

The only problem which occasionally surfaces is between Serbs and Croats - but not other Australians.

I was 13 when we migrated in 1991. Oz was still riding high on bicentennial fever & anti-British sentiment was everywhere. I found it v hard to deal with as I didn't understand white on white racism could happen. My parents moved me from a state high to a private school that had a higher level of migrant children. It got v weird in 1996 when Britpop made it cool to be British! As an adult I found that tolerance to racists can be low; it is not unusual to tell someone off. And if someone won't give you a job because of where you come from or the colour of your skin, you won't want to work for them anyway. There are so many migrants & children of migrants that you will soon settle into life & the racists will just fade to insignificant bigots. Good luck with your move!

Thank you for your opinions. My Wife is White and I am mixed race with my kids being quarter cast. It's something I didn't think of really until my mother mentioned it. I know racism is all over it's just how bad it is in one particular area that worries me. My Wife has friends in Brisbane and this is the area we was looking to move to when I finish my degree. I appreciate all your opinions, as we know it's not a subject anyone likes raising.

My kids are mixed race one very fair with soft hair you would not be sure if saw him alone but his sister most definitely darker with the 'black' type hair and how they will be accepted in school is something that has been on my mind. We went to Melbourne for 3 weeks last year and they got a lot of attention my son especially noticed people looking at them and was getting quite bothered by it. One day we was waiting for a tram and I was asked if they were aboriginal! No one was nasty the looks were prob more just curiosity at the 3 of us with me very fair with 2 not obviously matched to me kids. In the schools we looked at classes were mixed but pro dominantly the ethic kids were Chinese maylasian etc

mem

There have been waves of migration from Eastern Europe to Australia - refugees after WW2 from all over, after the 1956 uprising in Hungary, after the 1968 "Prague spring". There were so many Polish soldiers from the WW2 North African campaigns in Australia that they had their own associations here and marched in their own separate units in Anzac Day marches. I doubt if anyone here would blink an eyelid at your nationality. You only have to hear the very "Aussified" young things with their very Slavic surnames to realise how many have migrated over the years.

The only problem which occasionally surfaces is between Serbs and Croats - but not other Australians.

Thanks Skani. That is what I was hoping to hear. The only remark someone made related to my nationality when I was in Adelaide, after telling her that I had studied computer engineering in Romania, was that she didn't know that such courses existed in my country. But these types of remarks don't bother me as they are the result of not knowing much about Europe.

However, the same person had completely different views towards black people. She said that "we welcome migrants from all around the world, it's just the blacks that we don't want here" which adds to the reputation of Adelaide of being a racist city.

Couple of years before that, in Port Augusta, I asked someone a question about Aboriginals. But instead he told me: "We don't call them Aboriginals here, we call them c**ns."

Edited by bogdan

But these types of remarks don't bother me as they are the result of not knowing much about Europe.

Yes, I think the only time Romania has featured in the news here was the fall of the Ceausescu regime in 1989 and the plight of children in orphanages around that time.

I don't know what Adelaide is like now: I haven't lived there since 1979. However I'm not really surprised about Port Augusta.

Those isolated industrial towns are tough and rough: they are probably the centre of "redneckery" in Australia.

****............... I am half bogan :) I eat pies and drink beer!!!! I refuse to buy a ute as they are a complete was of space, can i be a bogan with a Honda CRV LOL!!

I'm sorry to tell you that noticing a ute is a complete waste of space means you have scored too many IQ points to be classified as a bogan. Do keep drinking the beer however as it has been known to lower the IQ so perhaps one day you'll find yourself wanting to trade in your CRV for a V8 ute!

Australia, in common with most countries with democratic values, is actually the LEAST racist. People from all over the world would not be clamouring to come here if that was NOT the case. Even when South Africa was at its worst, most of its neighbours were far more racist, although of course their discrimination was along ethnic/tribal/religious/gender lines, which lefties everywhere claim are not as bad as white, i.e. European racism.

Of course there are some cases of racism (and other forms of discrimination) here and the treatment of Aborigines was hardly enlightened. But then again, had any other country 'invaded' Australia, they would probably have been exterminated.

Not too bad in Vic, but pretty bad in QLD!

i hear this a lot about Queensland, though not sure if it's true.

can only speak with a short (3 months in) experience so far in Melbourne , people are very open and friendly, more so than in London, and havent come across any racism at all. perhaps it is different in smaller towns or places with a lot of poorly educated chavs - they're everywhere in the world sadly!

Australia, in common with most countries with democratic values, is actually the LEAST racist. People from all over the world would not be clamouring to come here if that was NOT the case. Even when South Africa was at its worst, most of its neighbours were far more racist, although of course their discrimination was along ethnic/tribal/religious/gender lines, which lefties everywhere claim are not as bad as white, i.e. European racism.

Of course there are some cases of racism (and other forms of discrimination) here and the treatment of Aborigines was hardly enlightened. But then again, had any other country 'invaded' Australia, they would probably have been exterminated.

With regard to discrimination and results along the lines of tribal, ethnic and religious grounds,those favouring the right over overlook one simple fact.That being of course that nothing can compete in terms sheer destruction and death the great tribal conflict that decimated Europe in the course of two world wars.

Just how much influence can be measured by numbers, as to whether the degree of racism would win out once a person's level of security is reasonably assured over economic benefits is at best debatable.

I'm sorry to tell you that noticing a ute is a complete waste of space means you have scored too many IQ points to be classified as a bogan. Do keep drinking the beer however as it has been known to lower the IQ so perhaps one day you'll find yourself wanting to trade in your CRV for a V8 ute!

Surely you don't consider the accumilation of money with IQ? In WA at any rate cashed up Bogans are in no danger of extention.

Thanks Skani. That is what I was hoping to hear. The only remark someone made related to my nationality when I was in Adelaide, after telling her that I had studied computer engineering in Romania, was that she didn't know that such courses existed in my country. But these types of remarks don't bother me as they are the result of not knowing much about Europe.

However, the same person had completely different views towards black people. She said that "we welcome migrants from all around the world, it's just the blacks that we don't want here" which adds to the reputation of Adelaide of being a racist city.

Couple of years before that, in Port Augusta, I asked someone a question about Aboriginals. But instead he told me: "We don't call them Aboriginals here, we call them c**ns."

Just congratulate her on being aware of the existance of Romania. Probably best not to ask her to point it out on a map though.....

It makes me laugh how some australians need to point out that you are from the uk by using the saying "and your a pom" ?????? like you need reminding, we had a run in with some bloke on the beach over our dog running up to his and his response was "and your a pom" (this happened twice lol), my OH wouldnt let a bloke off the bus in the middle of the street and his response was " and your a pom", i was promoting Australian products in woolworths and a womens response was "and your a pom"....... well no **** sherlock.... luckily i find the stupidity of it all very funny :biglaugh:

that does sound a bit bonkers!

Your going back a bit there. I would say it depends on the era you refer to. In the past it was a concern to some as a lot of Europeans did experience intolerance and a degree of abuse. In later years I would agree.

LOL!! I like your thinking Ken :)

It may be different in other parts of Australia, but here in Sydney, particularly in the inner city, nobody cares what race/religion/class/caste/gender/sexual identity is. I don't honestly know how you would be supposed to behave in Surry Hills to make people stop and look. In fact the people who DO stop and look advertise themselves as 'tourists' rather than 'locals.'

Havent experienced it really in QLD. Had one comment by a nurse and DD had a comment in her old junior school, but that was about it.

There are a lot of different cultures in Brissie.

We are white British and my daughter mixes with mainly Aussies, but my sons friends are Asian(chinese) Australian and Serbian and his first girlfriend was Serbian.

Edited by fairystar32

My kids are mixed race one very fair with soft hair you would not be sure if saw him alone but his sister most definitely darker with the 'black' type hair and how they will be accepted in school is something that has been on my mind. We went to Melbourne for 3 weeks last year and they got a lot of attention my son especially noticed people looking at them and was getting quite bothered by it. One day we was waiting for a tram and I was asked if they were aboriginal! No one was nasty the looks were prob more just curiosity at the 3 of us with me very fair with 2 not obviously matched to me kids. In the schools we looked at classes were mixed but pro dominantly the ethic kids were Chinese maylasian etc

mem

Some people always ask but I don't believe its anything to do with racism. Aussies have been adopting children from overseas for a long long time now, Vietnam was one of the countries after the war, Korea, Africa, South America so its not unusual to see children who do not look like their parents here. My mums friend's two grandchildren were both born in Korea.

There are also a lot of mixed marriages these days.

However as I said Aussies always feel the need to ask where anyone is from and its not a problem as far as I can see.

I remember when my best friend found out I was English, she said "oh your not a pom". I did not take offence that was many years ago and we are still the best of friends. She knew my oh was because of his accent, however I don't have an English accent a mixture of many.

Guest chris955

Australia is a racist country, to be fair most countries are to some degree. I have found racism in Australia to be quite overt but can also be subtle and laughably passed off 'just the Aussie way' or that it is a joke. The racism directed at Aboriginals especially in the north is mindboggling.Whether it is better or worse than where you currently are very much depends on where you are headed.