Racism

Kelvin Charles

Right, racism is defined in many different way so everyone will have many different opinions but what I am really looking for is some information from those that already reside in Oz please.

I don't know if my Mum is trying to put me off the big move down under with my family but she told me a story about a family she knows that moved to Oz and basically they were back home within 2 years due to racism. They spoke of how racist the country was, now I didn't ask where they lived in Oz what ethnic background they were or who they were but it got me thinking a little which has resulted to me writing this on here to get some honest opinions.

Thanks

Racism is everywhere, thankfully we have personally not come across too much of it here in Australia and we have been here over 6 years. We have met 1 Australian who spoke very offensively of us 'poms' ,and my son has had a kid at school referring to him as a pom in a nasty way. We call ourselves poms and dont have an issue with it, we will banter with the aussies and joke about it, but when its said in a nasty way, it isnt nice.

Cal x

Thank you for that Cal much appreciated.

Racism is everywhere, thankfully we have personally not come across too much of it here in Australia and we have been here over 6 years. We have met 1 Australian who spoke very offensively of us 'poms' ,and my son has had a kid at school referring to him as a pom in a nasty way. We call ourselves poms and dont have an issue with it, we will banter with the aussies and joke about it, but when its said in a nasty way, it isnt nice.

Cal x

Right, racism is defined in many different way so everyone will have many different opinions but what I am really looking for is some information from those that already reside in Oz please.

I don't know if my Mum is trying to put me off the big move down under with my family but she told me a story about a family she knows that moved to Oz and basically they were back home within 2 years due to racism. They spoke of how racist the country was, now I didn't ask where they lived in Oz what ethnic background they were or who they were but it got me thinking a little which has resulted to me writing this on here to get some honest opinions.

Thanks

Its alive and kicking in Adelaide and elitism which I cannot abide. I have lived in USA, UK, HK and OZ I find it to be subversive here less in your face more in how people deal with you or ignore or look at you if that helps. It's everywhere and frankly I find people to be more rude here - it has shocked me to no end never expected it there is a blatant disregard for foreigners of all types not any one in particular - makes me appreciate London more. Just my opinion and experience.

Its alive and kicking in Adelaide and elitism which I cannot abide. I have lived in USA, UK, HK and OZ I find it to be subversive here less in your face more in how people deal with you or ignore or look at you if that helps. It's everywhere and frankly I find people to be more rude here - it has shocked me to no end never expected it there is a blatant disregard for foreigners of all types not any one in particular - makes me appreciate London more. Just my opinion and experience.

Oh dear that's not what I wanted to read, can you elaborate on 'it's alive and kicking in Adelaide' this is where we are headed and my husband is Turkish, racism is a concern for us. I didn't expect there to be none at all, as I think every place in the world will have 'racists' but just a bit concerned by your comment regarding Adelaide.

Here in Glasgow my husband has been referred to as a 'black b*****d' 'refugee' 'asylum seeker' amongst other things however despite Glasgow being so large he has only encountered these comments on a few occasions, therefore due to the minority I wouldnt call glasow a racist place.

Thank you for your opinions. My Wife is White and I am mixed race with my kids being quarter cast. It's something I didn't think of really until my mother mentioned it. I know racism is all over it's just how bad it is in one particular area that worries me. My Wife has friends in Brisbane and this is the area we was looking to move to when I finish my degree. I appreciate all your opinions, as we know it's not a subject anyone likes raising.

Not too bad in Vic, but pretty bad in QLD!
Edited by Kelvin Charles

Thanks

Queensland and Western Australia can be quite bad, Victoria is fine so far I reckon Sydney and Melbourne should be ok , but like any country once you go out into the country you meet rednecks!

Edited by fergal007

Queensland and Western Australia can be quite bad, Victoria is fine so far I reckon Sydney and Melbourne should be ok , but like any country once you go out into the country your meet rednecks!
is calling someone a redneck not a form of racism?

Oh dear that's not what I wanted to read, can you elaborate on 'it's alive and kicking in Adelaide' this is where we are headed and my husband is Turkish, racism is a concern for us. I didn't expect there to be none at all, as I think every place in the world will have 'racists' but just a bit concerned by your comment regarding Adelaide.

Here in Glasgow my husband has been referred to as a 'black b*****d' 'refugee' 'asylum seeker' amongst other things however despite Glasgow being so large he has only encountered these comments on a few occasions, therefore due to the minority I wouldnt call glasow a racist place.

Sorry to hear that you've met some idiots

You know what i mean Andy! Get a grip if that's your take, you will be very offended when when you get here! Maybe your better off staying in Bucks?

No I don't get offended to often but I am just asking the question while we are debating racism, racism works both ways if it were a racist word directed at a coloured person then I would suspect there would be more of a reaction, I am simply asking the question.

No I don't get offended to often but I am just asking the question while we are debating racism, racism works both ways if it were a racist word directed at a coloured person then I would suspect there would be more of a reaction, I am simply asking the question.

No you're not, you know very well what you're doing and it's not just that

Is "redneck" a form of racism? No. Is it showing prejudice? Yes. But they are not the same thing

I know you would like what you perceive to be "anti-white" racism to be seen as the same, and treated the same, as racism shown BY whites, but for as long as you are living in a majority white country, it never will be. One of the issues surrounding racism is the prejudicial treatment of a minority. Whites in the UK or Australia are not discriminated against or disadvantaged as a result of their skin colour except in some really tiny nooks and crannies of society.

Trying to have "anti-white" racism treated the same as racism by whites is just going to wind you up and give you an ulcer. It's not going to happen so suck it up, as they say over here

In answer to the OP, racism does exist here as it does in the UK, but many of the major cities are also very multicultural places. I don't detect much racism over here at all, but then I am a) white and b) live in Sydney, which is a very mixed society, so it's easy for me to say. The principle of the "fair go" is still a pretty strong part of the Aussie spirit IME, to the country's credit

Edited by northshorepom

Is "redneck" a form of racism? No. Is it showing prejudice? Yes. But they are not the same thing

I know you would like what you perceive to be "anti-white" racism to be seen as the same, and treated the same, as racism sown BY white, but for as long as you are living in a majority white country, it never will be. One of the issues surrounding racism is the prejudicial treatment of a minority. Whites in the UK or Australia are not discriminated against or disadvantaged as a result of their skin colour except in some really tiny nooks and crannies of society.

Trying to have "anti-white" racism treated the same as racism by whites is just going to wind you up and give you an ulcer. It's not going to happen so suck it up, as they say over here

oh there you are the font of all knowledge, like I said I was just asking in my opinion a valid question and if you don't like that because it doesn't suit you tough

Guest Guest16631

.........racism occurs any where...............I live in qld........just north of Brisbane...........have travelled within Australia and in over 20 years I wouldn't say it was any worse than the uk........

.............I have a ethnically diverse group of friends from all walks of life and it's something we do discuss ........the worst case ....( i personally knew of)............was involving a young Colombian man............on a night out with my son he was verbally abused and told to....'go home'.............this was involving youths his own age .........who then got a little physical and security staff became involved......!

.................an Ethiopian friend says she has had a lot of people stare at her............she has very dark skin..........and has found people a little resistant if she approaches them,.............though has been happy with a mostly friendly result.........

...................as in most things it will be about your persona............most people are a little wary of anyone new........regardless of who they are..............extending the hand of friendship...........being prepared for a few inquisitive comments and not taking offence..........

...............a lot of ethnic groups in Brisbane have chosen to live in groups .........inhabiting an area........as often happens in other country's..............I know some people have an aversion to this............but integration for some people is difficult.............often a mixed race family finds things easier ime ............than one of all members being an ethnic minority........

.............so I sincerely hope that you don't experience any racism ..................but there are those ignorant of anything beyond their own culture everywhere.............hopefully you never meet them.....!

.................the best of luck to you and your family..........tink x

.........racism occurs any where...............I live in qld........just north of Brisbane...........have travelled within Australia and in over 20 years I wouldn't say it was any worse than the uk........

I really can't grasp where the oft quoted "Queensland is worse" comes from? The only racism that I (or my "coloured friends") have encountered is that which exists between the Islander and Aboriginal communities who have been at each other's throats for at least the last 10 yrs, if my memory serves me well.

Yes, Qld was, and still is, in many rural communities, rather "red-necked" but the generalisation about racism in general in Qld, seems to come from those who have never set foot in the state or who have just "passed through". It's like there's some magical border at the Tweed where the Yankees sit on the south side of the river hurling abuse at the Confederates on the North side........................ almost as if a river can divide attitudes..........load of bloody hogwash! Qld is a progressive state that has "moved mountains" in the last 20 yrs to shake it's image, and "gossip" from poms, based on what limited info that they have pickled up from the media and elsewhere, has no real bearing on how it actually is here. Poms who can't abide being called poms seem to be the worst when it comes to calling Qld'ers racist...............based on the individuals that I have met, who quote Aussies as being racist, it is my (humble) opinion that they perceive that racism, due to their "nose in the air attitude".

Edited by Johndoe

I know you would like what you perceive to be "anti-white" racism to be seen as the same, and treated the same, as racism shown BY whites, but for as long as you are living in a majority white country, it never will be. One of the issues surrounding racism is the prejudicial treatment of a minority. Whites in the UK or Australia are not discriminated against or disadvantaged as a result of their skin colour except in some really tiny nooks and crannies of society.

In answer to the OP, racism does exist here as it does in the UK, but many of the major cities are also very multicultural places. I don't detect much racism over here at all, but then I am a) white and b) live in Sydney, which is a very mixed society, so it's easy for me to say. The principle of the "fair go" is still a pretty strong part of the Aussie spirit IME, to the country's credit

Thank you northshorepom, jesus some of the people on this! PC brigade in overdrive! I totally agree with you with the multicultural point you have made.

As a contrasting view, we're in Adelaide and have not come across any racism at all. There's banter and the aussies "call it as it is" of course, which leads to the Italians being generally known, and referring to themselves, as "wogs" and the Greeks likewise as "spiks" which I found a bit confronting to start with, but my kids who have been through the school system here for the past eight years have a really broad cross-section of nationalities amongst their friends - wider than they ever had in England. Actually thinking about it my daughter was subject to one comment from a friend's Italian grandmother who told her grandson he shouldn't be friends with her as she wasn't Italian, but she took it in jest, however it was meant! Have not come across any racism directed at someone because of the colour of their skin at all here. We find Adelaide is such a melting pot of all different races and skin colours that no-one seems to comment on it at all. I think some people can have a chip on their shoulder - particularly some Brits it seems - and see the Australian banter as nastily meant when really, if an Aussie calls you a "pommie b***ard" that's actually a term of endearment and means you are well and truly accepted!

Some very good comments, I think it's kind of put my mind at ease a little more now from the comments I have seen, especially yours 'tink' thank you and thank you to everyone else for being so honest and direct.

.............I have a ethnically diverse group of friends from all walks of life and it's something we do discuss ........the worst case ....( i personally knew of)............was involving a young Colombian man............on a night out with my son he was verbally abused and told to....'go home'.............this was involving youths his own age .........who then got a little physical and security staff became involved......!

.................an Ethiopian friend says she has had a lot of people stare at her............she has very dark skin..........and has found people a little resistant if she approaches them,.............though has been happy with a mostly friendly result.........

...................as in most things it will be about your persona............most people are a little wary of anyone new........regardless of who they are..............extending the hand of friendship...........being prepared for a few inquisitive comments and not taking offence..........

...............a lot of ethnic groups in Brisbane have chosen to live in groups .........inhabiting an area........as often happens in other country's..............I know some people have an aversion to this............but integration for some people is difficult.............often a mixed race family finds things easier ime ............than one of all members being an ethnic minority........

.............so I sincerely hope that you don't experience any racism ..................but there are those ignorant of anything beyond their own culture everywhere.............hopefully you never meet them.....!

.................the best of luck to you and your family..........tink x

It wont be in your face as much as the way you are looked at. I spent the last three years tutoring graduate students (for my sins) 90% international and 75% Middle Eastern and frankly I have seen how they have been treated, even when we met at a cafe to discuss politics, homework, in general, people looked at us Im as British as they can be despite being overseas 60% of my life, all my mates are Brits and Irish fellas I sound part London, part mungrel (dont ask) I like a laugh and am open minded (didn't grow up like that in 60's and 70'). People have moved away from them when we sat down they have stared to the point where I have said excuse me. I have had them be completely ignored by academics so called who are required to get back to them - too many have said to me they have been told by these people they wont get better grades because of who they are who that they dont want to teach 'their kind'. Given this place was settled by Brits also not convicts, I am so surprised how superior these up themselves Adelaidians are thinking they are better, but then they run adds about Melbourne stealing the footy they have an identity crisis small want to be cities do i have seen that in USA. Its a great place to live clean safe friendly enough you just cant break into the place you are not from here i have been told this by people countless times...i bide my time until I leave keep oneself to oneself and know its not me far too many from the outside have said so.

Thank you for your opinions. My Wife is White and I am mixed race with my kids being quarter cast. It's something I didn't think of really until my mother mentioned it. I know racism is all over it's just how bad it is in one particular area that worries me. My Wife has friends in Brisbane and this is the area we was looking to move to when I finish my degree. I appreciate all your opinions, as we know it's not a subject anyone likes raising.

Good luck!

It wont be in your face as much as the way you are looked at. I spent the last three years tutoring graduate students (for my sins) 90% international and 75% Middle Eastern and frankly I have seen how they have been treated, even when we met at a cafe to discuss politics, homework, in general, people looked at us Im as British as they can be despite being overseas 60% of my life, all my mates are Brits and Irish fellas I sound part London, part mungrel (dont ask) I like a laugh and am open minded (didn't grow up like that in 60's and 70'). People have moved away from them when we sat down they have stared to the point where I have said excuse me. I have had them be completely ignored by academics so called who are required to get back to them - too many have said to me they have been told by these people they wont get better grades because of who they are who that they dont want to teach 'their kind'. Given this place was settled by Brits also not convicts, I am so surprised how superior these up themselves Adelaidians are thinking they are better, but then they run adds about Melbourne stealing the footy they have an identity crisis small want to be cities do i have seen that in USA. Its a great place to live clean safe friendly enough you just cant break into the place you are not from here i have been told this by people countless times...i bide my time until I leave keep oneself to oneself and know its not me far too many from the outside have said so.

Thats strong stuff Globe trotta :( sounds like your experience has not been the most pleasant :( when and where will you move next?